Sponsored

Rock Krawler Flex kit and Rubbing

Thashef

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Hydro Blue
I am about to start installing a RK Flex 2.5" kit on my Sahara. The wheels I ordered are the Rocktrix RT105 with 5.5" backspacing.

Question is how much rubbing will I have, do I need to switch out the wheels to 4.5". I was thinking of having a less poke and thats why I ordered 5.5.
Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I am about to start installing a RK Flex 2.5" kit on my Sahara. The wheels I ordered are the Rocktrix RT105 with 5.5" backspacing.

Question is how much rubbing will I have, do I need to switch out the wheels to 4.5". I was thinking of having a less poke and thats why I ordered 5.5.
You need 4.5 back spacing at most to clear lcas at full turn. Especially on Sahara, axles are a little narrower than Rubi axles.

OP
OP
Thashef

Thashef

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Hydro Blue
You need 4.5 back spacing at most to clear lcas at full turn. Especially on Sahara, axles are a little narrower than Rubi axles.
Would the front and rear both rub? Could I do the trick of adjusting the steering stop that is suggested in another thread.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Would the front and rear both rub? Could I do the trick of adjusting the steering stop that is suggested in another thread.
I previously ran the RK 2.5" lift with 33s and 35s with the same Sahara width axles. What size tires do you plan to run and do you want to be able to flex the jeep wheelin or is this a mall crawler?

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
The front wheels only when turned full lock. No problem with rear wheels. You could adjust the steering stops out, but I’m not sure if they will adjust far enough. I would do 4.5” backspace, the tires won’t stick out that bad, besides it will give it a better stance, IMO.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Thashef

Thashef

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Hydro Blue
The front wheels only when turned full lock. No problem with rear wheels. You could adjust the steering stops out, but I’m not sure if they will adjust far enough. I would do 4.5” backspace, the tires won’t stick out that bad, besides it will give it a better stance, IMO.
Thanks!. I have 4.5" now and don't mind it. So I'll just to get Amazon to replace the wheels with 4.5 version.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks!. I have 4.5" now and don't mind it. So I'll just to get Amazon to replace the wheels with 4.5 version.
No problem... iirc, rk recommendation of 4.5” bs is based on 12.5 wide tire.

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
@Roky

Well I'm stuck with my 5 inch backspaced (0 offset) 37-12.50R20s. Too late to buy some other type of wheel. Is rubbing going to be bad bad, or just bad? In other words will I feel it and be able to back off and just not turn as hard, or am I going go start breaking things? Still a noob when it comes to wheeling and about to be purchasing 2.5 in Metalcloak Gamechanger.

Also at 0 offset I'm already sticking out a bit enough that 1.75 in wheel spacers would be far too much negative offset.

Yeah, I know, please don't ding me for my 20s...

2018 Rubicon, if that helps...

OP
OP
Thashef

Thashef

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Hydro Blue
Just talked to RK and they said that the rubbing is only on full lock. He said it’s going to happen for sure but it won’t be terrible. They suggested that I just try it

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just talked to RK and they said that the rubbing is only on full lock. He said it’s going to happen for sure but it won’t be terrible. They suggested that I just try it
So by that standard. Me with 4.5" backspace on a Rubicon should be even less of a problem than your 5.5" backspace on a Sahara.

I hope...

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
@Roky

Well I'm stuck with my 5 inch backspaced (0 offset) 37-12.50R20s. Too late to buy some other type of wheel. Is rubbing going to be bad bad, or just bad? In other words will I feel it and be able to back off and just not turn as hard, or am I going go start breaking things? Still a noob when it comes to wheeling and about to be purchasing 2.5 in Metalcloak Gamechanger.

Also at 0 offset I'm already sticking out a bit enough that 1.75 in wheel spacers would be far too much negative offset.

It won’t be real bad, just turn your stops out some and try and avoid full lock when turning. You’ll be able to manage it I think. It’ll just rub the lca, no threat of puncture or anything like that. It also helps being a Rubi.
I’d say run it for a while, worse case you have to touch up lca with rattle can once in a while.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
@Roky

I just re read your post, you won’t rub on MC control arms, they bend inward, RK is the ones that will rub since they’re bent up for clearance.

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just re read your post, you won’t rub on MC control arms, they bend inward, RK is the ones that will rub since they’re bent up for clearance.
Thanks @Roky - Metalcloak for the win!
Sorry @Thashef for hijacking.

This is something I have been wondering about for some time. Metakcloak still does recommend < 4.5" backspace for some reason, so I have been nervous.

psdtime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon, 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2020 JLRU
Vehicle Showcase
One thick washer on the steering stop solved my rubbing issue. I was only rubbing on the side wall tread. This is with 5.77" back spacing (+25) offset on 8.5" wheel with 35's. It only rubbed the sidewall tread that almost all new AT and MT tires have. I did have the same tires on 17x9 4.75 backspaced (-6 offset) wheels and they didn't rub. I prefer the tucked in look much more so I went with AEV wheels. At this point I would replace the suspension parts before replacing the wheels if need be, but I think I solved the problem with the washer since it only seemed to rub on the lower control arm and it was minimal.

Edit: I do have a Rubicon BTW

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks @Roky - Metalcloak for the win!
Sorry @Thashef for hijacking.

This is something I have been wondering about for some time. Metakcloak still does recommend < 4.5" backspace for some reason, so I have been nervous.
It’s just the sweet spot for rims with a lift, to ensure they don’t rub anything while wheeling.
Sponsored