Sponsored

Rubicon rear steel bumper on Sahara

ekohn00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Family always comes first :) time to get those kids old enough to drive to drive one of these for the day :CWL:
773615D0-EB91-498D-931C-E1D4BCB9F0FC.jpeg
Don’t laugh tried that. We need the 600 pound model.
Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Don’t laugh tried that. We need the 600 pound model.
Not to take this thread to far off track but I seen where this machine works much better if you set a jigsaw blade shallow enough not to hit cement and score cross lines in wood every 6-12 inches. Supposedly pops up easier.

SRQgunner

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimted Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
So the install was fairly simple. For the end-caps I ended up cutting off the rubicon ones and bolting them on to the Sahara ones. The alignment is not 100% but pretty good. I’m sure if someone made a braket to bolt up to the outside of the end-caps it would make the fit little more aligned.

B76A78CA-0475-40CF-A86F-E9E9A78F82B1.jpeg

071D68C6-3ADA-40E8-8498-B152D0CA311C.jpeg

1DB3AFAB-8FFA-4E2A-A301-B3D7B6D3E2E1.jpeg

EFFDD0E4-E1B6-4FA4-AC48-EE641E37A509.jpeg

55E0C02C-2A7B-440B-BF26-7D1259CB5F99.jpeg
Did your rear steel bumper come with the sensor holes?

I have a Sport S with sensors and looking into swapping for a Rubicon rear steel bumper. I’m also planning to swap out and get Rubicon fender flares. So I do I’ll experience an issue with the end caps.

Im told that you can purchase a rear steel bumper without sensor hole as a total package but if you want one with sensor holes I’d have to buy the bumper facia and Purchase the other hardware separately.

ekohn00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase

Im told that you can purchase a rear steel bumper without sensor hole as a total package but if you want one with sensor holes I’d have to buy the bumper facia and Purchase the other hardware separately.
Get a rubi take off with the sensor wholes. It'll save you a lot of troubles and money.

tatarin

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB Mojito Sky One-Touch, 2015 Lexus RX350F-sport, 2005 Camry SE
Vehicle Showcase

I have a Sport S with sensors and looking into swapping for a Rubicon rear steel bumper. I’m also planning to swap out and get Rubicon fender flares. So I do I’ll experience an issue with the end caps.

My rubi bumper came with sensor holes, the only thing I needed to get is sensor brackets for the steel bumper, https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/rear-parking-sensor-bezel-jl-steel-bumper

Sponsored

OP
OP
RockinMarine

RockinMarine

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL, Firecracker Red
Occupation
Retired Marine/ Techician for Disney
thanks for taking time to reply. Was yours a take off?
Mine was a Rubi Take off with the sensor holes. I went to the dealership and bought all the plastic brackets for the sensors. Cost me 50 bucks. But each bracket is different. The parts department pulled the drawings for a Rubi bumper and gave me all 6.

SRQgunner

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Mine was a Rubi Take off with the sensor holes. I went to the dealership and bought all the plastic brackets for the sensors. Cost me 50 bucks. But each bracket is different. The parts department pulled the drawings for a Rubi bumper and gave me all 6.

I have since found a Rubi takeoff for sale about 100 miles from me. I also plan on upgrading to the Rubi fender flares. So hopefully it will all line up.

Was the swap pretty straight forward?
Are the Rubi end caps steel or plastic?
What are you referring to when you say the brackets for the sensors?
The seller is saying it come with the mounting brackets, end caps and bolts. Anything else I may need?
Did you have any issues after installing the sensors with error messages?
I have the towing/hitch package - should be any issues there right?

SRQgunner

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
RockinMarine

RockinMarine

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL, Firecracker Red
Occupation
Retired Marine/ Techician for Disney
I have since found a Rubi takeoff for sale about 100 miles from me. I also plan on upgrading to the Rubi fender flares. So hopefully it will all line up.

Was the swap pretty straight forward? Somewhat. There were a couple small things that needed to be tweaked.
Are the Rubi end caps steel or plastic? Whole bumper except end caps for fender is steel.
What are you referring to when you say the brackets for the sensors? Plastic snap brackets to hold sensors in place
The seller is saying it come with the mounting brackets, end caps and bolts. Anything else I may need? Brackets that hold end caps. Rubi is longer than Sahara or Sport
Did you have any issues after installing the sensors with error messages? No errors at all. Works great.
I have the towing/hitch package - should be any issues there right? Just transfer tow hitch and bracket for wiring over.

Sponsored

ekohn00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
How was the swap? Pretty straight forward? Any issues after installing the sensors in the Rubi bumper with error messages or functionality?
If you already have the sensors in (I had a take off and the original owner kept the sensors), then it's a piece of cake.

You mentioned you're changing the fender flares, so hopefully they should line up. That was a bitch for me...theres' a thread about taking a Dremel to the plastic bumper corners...a scary thing to do, and the most time consuming of the project.

Also, it's never mentioned, but to my surprise when I went to put on my spare....it didn't fit. I have a Rubi takeoff wheels so they hit the bumper; but there are options for that too.

hopefully all goes smoooooth for you.

SRQgunner

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If you already have the sensors in (I had a take off and the original owner kept the sensors), then it's a piece of cake.

You mentioned you're changing the fender flares, so hopefully they should line up. That was a bitch for me...theres' a thread about taking a Dremel to the plastic bumper corners...a scary thing to do, and the most time consuming of the project.

Also, it's never mentioned, but to my surprise when I went to put on my spare....it didn't fit. I have a Rubi takeoff wheels so they hit the bumper; but there are options for that too.

hopefully all goes smoooooth for you.
Yes I have original sensors.

But you’re saying a 33” Tire won’t fit with the Rubi bumper as it hits the bumper?

would this then require a Mopar Oversized Spare Tire Carrier Modification Kit?

Last edited:

tatarin

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
thanks for taking time to reply. Was yours a take off?
mine was a take off

I have 315s on the factory spare tire mount and it clears the bumper

1A7DC55D-2130-483A-95AF-02ADDFEF31B1.jpeg

SRQgunner

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
mine was a take off

I have 315s on the factory spare tire mount and it clears the bumper

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon rear steel bumper on Sahara 1A7DC55D-2130-483A-95AF-02ADDFEF31B1
Wow that is a sweet looking rig.

How was the install? What additional hardware did you need? Do you have sensors?
Im planning to get the Rubi fenders so I believe everything will line up correctly.

tatarin

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Wow that is a sweet looking rig.

How was the install? What additional hardware did you need? Do you have sensors?
Im planning to get the Rubi fenders so I believe everything will line up correctly.
My plastic bumper had the sensors so I just transfered them. The install is pretty straight forward. You will need to make a small hole in the metal bracket to mount the plastic cover that sits below the wheel well liner. I think there is a picture for reference somewhere on this tread.
Sponsored