Sponsored

Rubicon rear steel bumper on Sahara

ekohn00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Yes Rubicon spare tire carrier can hold a 35” and sits higher than Sahara/Sport, which can only hold a 33-34”.
ironically I have a Rubi take off wheel. It’s 33 and won’t fit.
Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
It’s definitely a steel bumper thing. My 33s were fine until installing steel rear then no go.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
It’s definitely a steel bumper thing. My 33s were fine until installing steel rear then no go.
I can confirm this too, steel bumpers has slightly less clearance than plastic.

Are you rubbing on the bumper or the light? you can adjust the third break light up though.

ekohn00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
I can confirm this too, steel bumpers has slightly less clearance than plastic.

Are you rubbing on the bumper or the light? you can adjust the third break light up though.
Bumper. I have a Rubi takeoff carrier coming on Monday. Hopefully an easy change and fix.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Bumper. I have a Rubi takeoff carrier coming on Monday. Hopefully an easy change and fix.
Not that it applies here but I picked up a used DV8 locally on CL for like $80 for temporary solution until switching to a hinged reinforced unit to hold my 37. Plenty of adjustments. Talk about a pain in the a$$ swap. Seems pretty sturdy for now with new extended bumps.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon rear steel bumper on Sahara 752C54B3-2322-4B23-96BB-7E427ECD3EF8
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon rear steel bumper on Sahara 8102198C-6473-4F18-A63E-EDECE85ED259

Sponsored

ekohn00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone have some pictures or video of a Sahara carrier being swapped with a Rubicon?

I didn't find any online, and I'm doing mine today, and wanted to see what I'm getting myself into......

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone have some pictures or video of a Sahara carrier being swapped with a Rubicon?

I didn't find any online, and I'm doing mine today, and wanted to see what I'm getting myself into......
On the thread I linked early @DrDoom had done the swap. Maybe he can weigh in with some details.

DrDoom

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 2018
On the thread I linked early @DrDoom had done the swap. Maybe he can weigh in with some details.
Sorry guys for my late reply. The overall process went super smooth and took my 30 minutes or so. Didn’t take any pictures or videos in the process but it’s quite simple. Could send pictures of the final result if it’s of any help.

ekohn00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry guys for my late reply. The overall process went super smooth and took my 30 minutes or so. Didn’t take any pictures or videos in the process but it’s quite simple. Could send pictures of the final result if it’s of any help.
So I finally finished my rear bumper project, with the last piece being the Rubi Carrier swap.
As @DrDoom says, super easy once you realize how to take everything apart...

Just in case anyone else needs some direction, here was my process (I'm not a mechanic, so don't laugh at what I call things).

1. first I removed the big plastic cover from inside the tailgate to get at the cable for brake and camera. I disconnected them both, allowing me to remove the carrier completely

2.unbolted the carrier from the tailgate and removed it.

3. there are 2 tori screws that hold a mounting plate that holds the camera and 3 tire screws in place. This was the toughest part for me, as there are 2 parts to the mounting plate and only the bottom came off, and I spent a good 20 minutes trying to figure out how the camera comes out. Once I figured out that I had to pry the second plate loose, it all slid right out.

4. removed the piece with the break light (4 bolts)

5. put carrier back together, with the exception I raised the break light (used 2 out of 4 bolts) because of this.

6. assembly is basically everything else in revers.

easy to do.

attached is a picture that shows the double plate...... just in case anyone wonders.

IMG_0831.jpeg

IMG_0836.jpeg

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
So I finally finished my rear bumper project, with the last piece being the Rubi Carrier swap.
As @DrDoom says, super easy once you realize how to take everything apart...

Just in case anyone else needs some direction, here was my process (I'm not a mechanic, so don't laugh at what I call things).

1. first I removed the big plastic cover from inside the tailgate to get at the cable for brake and camera. I disconnected them both, allowing me to remove the carrier completely

2.unbolted the carrier from the tailgate and removed it.

3. there are 2 tori screws that hold a mounting plate that holds the camera and 3 tire screws in place. This was the toughest part for me, as there are 2 parts to the mounting plate and only the bottom came off, and I spent a good 20 minutes trying to figure out how the camera comes out. Once I figured out that I had to pry the second plate loose, it all slid right out.

4. removed the piece with the break light (4 bolts)

5. put carrier back together, with the exception I raised the break light (used 2 out of 4 bolts) because of this.

6. assembly is basically everything else in revers.

easy to do.

attached is a picture that shows the double plate...... just in case anyone wonders.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon rear steel bumper on Sahara IMG_0836

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon rear steel bumper on Sahara IMG_0836
Nice job man... now I have to say I’m impressed with the double crown molding in the garage :like:

Sponsored

ekohn00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Nice job man... now I have to say I’m impressed with the double crown molding in the garage :like:
LMAO.....one of the benefits of a model home. You get crown molding in the garage, and the walls are painted.

One day, I'll figure out how to remove the glued wood floor from the first bay. Thats the bad news....

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
LMAO.....one of the benefits of a model home. You get crown molding in the garage, and the walls are painted.

One day, I'll figure out how to remove the glued wood floor from the first bay. Thats the bad news....
Leave it. Put a couch and TV and call it the man cave with the Jeep :)

ekohn00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Leave it. Put a couch and TV and call it the man cave with the Jeep :)
Now that's the most original idea I've heard.

It wasn't a problem 10 years ago, and would have done exactly that..... but now both kids have cars and there's no room in the driveway, not to mention the wife wants to park inside too.......

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Now that's the most original idea I've heard.

It wasn't a problem 10 years ago, and would have done exactly that..... but now both kids have cars and there's no room in the driveway, not to mention the wife wants to park inside too.......
Family always comes first :) time to get those kids old enough to drive to drive one of these for the day :CWL:
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon rear steel bumper on Sahara 773615D0-EB91-498D-931C-E1D4BCB9F0FC