Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

Dhill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
First time poster, but I've been following this thread. 2018 JLU 3.6 with 6 speed.

My local dealer said they got one repair kit a week, so I waited 5 weeks for this morning's appointment. I wasn't there more than 20 minutes. The tech "checked the levels" and attached the extra covering on the clutch hydraulic line. No rev/dump test.

I'm not terribly impressed.
Sponsored

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
First time poster, but I've been following this thread. 2018 JLU 3.6 with 6 speed.

My local dealer said they got one repair kit a week, so I waited 5 weeks for this morning's appointment. I wasn't there more than 20 minutes. The tech "checked the levels" and attached the extra covering on the clutch hydraulic line. No rev/dump test.

same thing for mine. Lots of dealers doing different things.

My clutch felt different at first but now is super light and feels like it did before. I have seen @JeepCares state they should be doing the clutch test then ordering the needed parts.

In your case and mine, they just had the parts and replaced them. I am not sure they did the clutch test on mine. Plus how are they inspecting the clutch that others have stated in their posts. Imagine this would take some time to accomplish.

StoneFox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2dr JL
same thing for mine. Lots of dealers doing different things.

My clutch felt different at first but now is super light and feels like it did before. I have seen @JeepCares state they should be doing the clutch test then ordering the needed parts.

In your case and mine, they just had the parts and replaced them. I am not sure they did the clutch test on mine. Plus how are they inspecting the clutch that others have stated in their posts. Imagine this would take some time to accomplish.
the test is a rev and dump. the longest part is the 5min you have to wait for the smell to dissipate

01tj

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous 2001 Wrangler, Kia Optima, possibly 2018 Wrangler unlimited
when i fried mine (before the recall announcement) it was covered under warranty. just had to pay like $4 for the tow (i have AAA). I think it would depend on how the clutch feels when you go to look at it. Good driving habits seem to minimize the damage or even make it non existent. On the other hand it could be a good negotiation tool.

I put a deposit on it this morning. 2018 JLU with the cold weather package and some other goodies for under 30k out the door. There may be others out there but I've had a hard time find them so I went with it

Sponsored

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara

Did they leave a complimentary Mopar Tourniquet (part #MT8645789) in the glove box?

LA Kimball

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I have my 2019 going in tomorrow for the recall. When I was looking at the JL, my first test drive was in one that had the softest feeling clutch I had every experienced. It felt mushy with almost no resistance. I asked the sales guy about it and he said it was the new hydraulic design. Typical salesperson, he was just trying to get a sale. Anyway, I didn't like it and it almost made me not order a Wrangler. I did order one and when mine arrived I was so happy the clutch felt normal. I sure hope this recall service does not change the feel.

Lyaec350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR
Brought mine in yesterday, hadn't read this thread.

Called last week and asked if they had parts in and they said yes, so assumed I was good.

Dropped Jeep off and as the tech is driving it out the service writer says "yea we have one of these thats been here 3 weeks waiting for parts".

Fortunately mine passed the slip test, and its not stuck there, but this is terrible communication to let you bring it in assuming its something they can do in a day then hang on to the Jeep for weeks. I'd be so irritated at losing 3-4 weeks of prime summer weather cause they can't get their act together and have parts available.

On a positive note, the clutch feels MUCH better. This is my first personal vehicle with a manual and I always had a hard time with shifts, with a lot of feeling like I was dropping the clutch even if letting it out nice and slow. Now it feels much more like other manual cars I've driven with a gradient between first contact, pickup and full contact. Much smoother. Also feels like the pedal travel is less, before I really had to drop it all the way to the floor to disengage.

Jerneycg

First Name
Lenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
So, an update on mine. As of yesterday I hadn’t received a call yet about parts. I called the recall assistance line and they upgraded my case to see what can be done. I just wanted to know if the parts are back ordered, shipped, etc. No one seems to have an answer. Today marks 2 weeks at the dealer.

Jerneycg

First Name
Lenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
Another update, Jeep Customer Care contacted me via email that my parts are expected at the dealer within 3-5 days. Not sure if they expedited it or that was just the natural timeline of things.

Sponsored

JT_SportS

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MT Wrangler Sport S
Another update, Jeep Customer Care contacted me via email that my parts are expected at the dealer within 3-5 days. Not sure if they expedited it or that was just the natural timeline of things.
So, yours has been there two weeks and you get parts in the next 3 - 5 days. Mine has been there since May 20, and parts are not to be released until June 30. Makes perfect sense. And I have contacted JeepCares and the FCA recall assistance line. I don't really believe anything I read or hear about this recall, and won't until I actually go pick mine up.

Jerneycg

First Name
Lenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
So, yours has been there two weeks and you get parts in the next 3 - 5 days. Mine has been there since May 20, and parts are not to be released until June 30. Makes perfect sense. And I have contacted JeepCares and the FCA recall assistance line. I don't really believe anything I read or hear about this recall, and won't until I actually go pick mine up.
Lol. I just received a phone call from the dealer who spoke with a district manager I believe. Anyhow, my parts should be in in about 2-3 weeks. ‍My hose wasn’t leaking apparently and there are no bubbles in the system. From the way it was explained is that if there is any sweating of the master cylinder hose they are just replacing everything. So I’m picking it up today due to it being safe to drive and bring it back in once the parts get there. To sum it up, if the hose is sweating they are replacing everything regardless. The email said my parts are going to be in within 3-5 days, dealer said 2-3 weeks, Jeep is safe to drive as there were no bubbles. Also Jeep is doing a “good will” replacement of my soft top due to a 1” tear at the back passenger side. Threads are separating.

Last edited:

crbrenny

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Sting Grey; 2021 JLR Gecko
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I just dropped mine off today for this to be remedied. I could never get through to schedule anything on the phone, on hold for perpetuity, so I hung up and called back, to be redirected to the switch board 5x before they took a message. Never called me back. I made an online appointment, and just added in the notes that I wanted recall stuff done. When I dropped it off, they said the 'online stuff never comes through' and they 'wouldn't get to it today'. I was waiting for the parts conversation to occur but before I left they told me it would be done in a couple of hours haha. I have no confidence in that information and/or the recall being addressed adequately, but we'll see.

Lyaec350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR
I guess this is they type of service to expect when you buy a $50k vehicle from a dealership selling mostly $25k piece of junk chryco sedans and minivans. Was almost looking forward to the “discussion” about what they’d give me as a loaner when they kept my jeep for a few weeks (for the day they gave me a bare bones Pacifica and said I couldn’t take it out of state, couldn’t bring my dog in it and that my wife couldn’t drive it). Not sure any of those things would be acceptable if they had my Jeep for a few weeks, let alone a piece of crap Pacifica.

gofastguy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi 2019 WK Trailhawk 2015 Mustang GT
Mine won't pass the slip test but all I got was a sleeve last week. It's back today so we shall see. They even told me it was slipping 8K ago when I got a oil change but that may have been to cover for the lot guy who didn't know how to drive a stick. They were all having a good laugh about the fellow's driving skills until they realized I was standing there and wasn't amused
Sponsored