First Name
John & Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gecko JLU Freedom, 2020 Punk'n JL Sport S
Occupation
John - US Army Ret/DA Civilian / Holly - Boss of husband
I didnā€™t say aftermarket tuners run the vehicle lean. The factory fuel curve is very rich and therefore safe. You can lean the factory curves out and gain hp but they dont lean the curve out so much to make the vehicle run lean.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Everyone has different needs from a vehicle but me, personally, if I care about power and the engine is octane limited, Iā€™ll opt for premium and usable power. Otherwise Iā€™d of got something else that was cheaper and ran on 87.

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
In all fairness the manual says for ā€œoptimal performance ā€œ use 91 octane.

My question is whoā€™s racing their JLUR? There are far better choices for going fast than a Jeep!

But anyway, your Jeep, your money.
Gregj
Jeep Wrangler JL Unleaded Gas question for 2.0L engine air_fuel_ratio_chart
This is an old manual.. FCA updated and my 2018 came with a note in the glove box stating that 87 is required but 91 for maximum performance.

Jeep Wrangler JL Unleaded Gas question for 2.0L engine 1592849613142

Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
This is an old manual.. FCA updated and my 2018 came with a note in the glove box stating that 87 is required but 91 for maximum performance.

Jeep Wrangler JL Unleaded Gas question for 2.0L engine 1592849613142
The change in the manual only states what I said in an earlier post, if your engine is knocking, use higher octane. They both say the engine is designed to operate and meet emissions standards and provide satisfactory economy and performance with regular gas.

Like I said ā€œyour Jeep, your moneyā€. Mine ā€œprovides satisfactory economy and performance with regular gasā€.

Gregj

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
I didnā€™t say aftermarket tuners run the vehicle lean. The factory fuel curve is very rich and therefore safe. You can lean the factory curves out and gain hp but they dont lean the curve out so much to make the vehicle run lean.
Assuming that the aftermarket tuners are targeting maximum power, for the OEM tune to be richer it would also have higher hydrocarbons than the aftermarket tune. I highly doubt this is true.

In my experience NA aftermarket tunes gain most power from ignition & fuel timing manipulation, but are always still targeting the values shown in the chart above. If the engine is equipped with variable valve timing, even greater power gains can be found by fine tuning the crossover point (from the low camshaft to high camshaft). Continuously variable valve timing (such as the Alfa Romeo's GME 2.0) can have yet an even greater gain with aftermarket tunes. And then there is boost...

JHTS

First Name
John & Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gecko JLU Freedom, 2020 Punk'n JL Sport S
Occupation
John - US Army Ret/DA Civilian / Holly - Boss of husband
Assuming that the aftermarket tuners are targeting maximum power, for the OEM tune to be richer it would also have higher hydrocarbons than the aftermarket tune. I highly doubt this is true.

In my experience NA aftermarket tunes gain most power from ignition & fuel timing manipulation, but are always still targeting the values shown in the chart above. If the engine is equipped with variable valve timing, even greater power gains can be found by fine tuning the crossover point (from the low camshaft to high camshaft). Continuously variable valve timing (such as the Alfa Romeo's GME 2.0) can have yet an even greater gain with aftermarket tunes. And then there is boost...
The original question in the thread was can you run 87 gas in a 2T. I only mentioned tuners to illustrate there is a nice safe tune for the 87 octane and one of the things you can manipulate is the fuel and still be safe.

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
The change in the manual only states what I said in an earlier post, if your engine is knocking, use higher octane. They both say the engine is designed to operate and meet emissions standards and provide satisfactory economy and performance with regular gas.

Like I said ā€œyour Jeep, your moneyā€. Mine ā€œprovides satisfactory economy and performance with regular gasā€.

Gregj
Agreed, just wanted to post the current manual page!

JROOO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU 2.0
Vehicle Showcase
During last winter I could not feel any difference however now that we have higher summer temps, the 91 makes a noticeable difference.

Sponsored

Mikefly562

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU in Granite Crystal Metallic
I did a 1220 mile trip from the Seattle area to SoCal, via Reno and the Eastern Sierra (With a stop at the Alabama Hills in Lone Pine for some off roading) and during the trip, I averaged 25.9 MPGs. Traffic was moderate, so my average speed was in the low to mid 60s. I used premium fuel the whole time (92 octane in Washington and Oregon, and 91 in CA). During a 30 day business trip last year, my Avis rental car was a Jeep Sahara with the 2.0L eTorque engine, and I used 91 octane for the entire rental period, and over 4500ish miles, I recall the gas mileage being about 26-27 (mainly desert driving level ground).

IMG_8337.JPG
Sponsored