Unleaded Gas question for 2.0L engine

jspeer23

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Oscar Mike Sting Gray
Do any turbo users use premium gas? First 3 fill ups I used reguler (87 octane) and averaging 21mpg. Just read in owners manual that regular gas works but premium is recommended for optimal performance. It's about $.50 more per gallon where I live, $9/fillup. Is it worth it to use premium in the 2.0L Turbo
Sponsored

gsyoung

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU North Edition
Same scenario here... got a new 2020 JLU 2.0. I used regular for the 1st two fill-ups, then saw the posts about premium. My last fill-up is with 93 oct, and seems like I'm getting a lil better mileage (20-21mpg for the 1st and 2nd fill-ups... getting 22.5 halfway through this tank full). I'll likely do 93 oct in every other (or every third) fill-up, unless the mpg improves drastically.

OP
OP

jspeer23

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Oscar Mike Sting Gray
Thanks for replies...I was leaning that way. Not a gear head just a jeep lover so thanks for helping with the question

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Been discussed endlessly in another thread. Some swear yes, some swear no. Just like most turbo engines that have a higher boost to get horsepower, premium is required to get the hp, torque and mileage. Regular will degrade performance.
And don't trust the mpg gauge in the instrument cluster. I took a 4,600 mile trip measuring manually and by the gauge. The gauge was consistently 2 mpg higher on a 3.6..

Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
I think if it runs fine on 87 that’s what I would run. At $9 more per fill up, where I live that will get you 4 more gallons, so if premium gets you one more mile per gallon that’s more or less 20 more miles per tank. But that 4 extra gallons of 87 will get you 80 miles.

Using premium to get better fuel mileage doesn’t add up. If you are having running issues, knock or ping, then it makes sense.
Just my opinion and add that I only run 87 in our 2.0 turbo.

Gregj

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Around where I live, the octane choices are 87, 89, and 91. I use 91 in both of my 2.0 eTorques 100% of the time.

To me, if that's what the manufacturer recommends as being best for the engine, then that's what I use. It's really no different when FCA recommends a certain weight and spec of oil and you decide to put something else in to save a few bucks.

JHTS

First Name
John & Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gecko JLU Freedom, 2020 Punk'n JL Sport S
Occupation
John - US Army Ret/DA Civilian / Holly - Boss of husband
Higher octane gas actually burns slower. With a forced induction engine you get more air in the cylinder ( it’s compressed) and need the fuel to burn slower for all of it to combust in the cylinder and maximizing the power potential. If you had added a power adder ( turbo or supercharger) you would have to go with colder plugs with half of the normal gap and switch to premium gas. However your engine was designed to run on normal gas so you will be fine. If you want the engine run at its best you need premium.

McCoys

First Name
Kai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Does it say recommended or required?

i’m in a 3.6 and sometimes I fill 91 just to give the system a breath of fresh air. Perhaps every 5 fill-ups

Sponsored

JHTS

First Name
John & Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Does it say recommended or required?

i’m in a 3.6 and sometimes I fill 91 just to give the system a breath of fresh air. Perhaps every 5 fill-ups
Don’t bother with the 91. Dyno test have shown vehicles designed for 87 octane perform less well on higher octane. It has to do with combustion rate.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
In all fairness the manual says for “optimal performance “ use 91 octane.

My question is who’s racing their JLUR? There are far better choices for going fast than a Jeep!

But anyway, your Jeep, your money.
Gregj
Jeep Wrangler JL Unleaded Gas question for 2.0L engine 9E172E51-68E7-452E-B851-AF490D802456

basinite

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys (2 door)
Some of the guys on these threads are really knowledgeable and you can learn a lot from them. That being said.....none of them know more about your engine than the engineers who designed it and the folks at Jeep recommend you use the higher octane. Go with what your user manual recommends and use the higher octane. Your engine will thank you for it.

I have a little over 8,000 miles on my Jeep and so far this is what I've been getting;

1. Chevron - 27/28 mpg
2. Shell - 26/27 mpg
3. Sinclair - 25/26 mpg.

These test were done with averaging at least 4 tanks of gas, so I think its a fair test. Regarding the instrument panel vs the manual way of testing; I've found I am usually .5 to .75 mpg higher on the computer vs testing manually.

I am very impressed with the 2.0. Great power and great MPG!!!

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I’ve read somewhere to run premium in the turbo when stressing the engine such as high speed Driving in hot weather w/AC or when pulling a trailer. I’ve run both 87 and 91 in my 2.0 and I really can’t tell a difference in city driving. Thoughts?

JHTS

First Name
John & Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Some of the guys on these threads are really knowledgeable and you can learn a lot from them. That being said.....none of them know more about your engine than the engineers who designed it and the folks at Jeep recommend you use the higher octane. Go with what your user manual recommends and use the higher octane. Your engine will thank you for it.

I have a little over 8,000 miles on my Jeep and so far this is what I've been getting;

1. Chevron - 27/28 mpg
2. Shell - 26/27 mpg
3. Sinclair - 25/26 mpg.

These test were done with averaging at least 4 tanks of gas, so I think its a fair test. Regarding the instrument panel vs the manual way of testing; I've found I am usually .5 to .75 mpg higher on the computer vs testing manually.

I am very impressed with the 2.0. Great power and great MPG!!!
Very true and it is your baby so take care of it as you feel is best. But if FCA and all of the others manufacturers run a very fat tune. It is safe for them. Aftermarket tuners gain hp by leaning out the air fuel ratio. So of course they want you to run the higher octane gas as it is safer for them. All I am saying is the the 2.0T is DESIGNED to run on 87. So it will be fine whatever you decide is best.
Sponsored