Varilux

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Okay, I'm a newbie when it comes to lifting... Lifted my TJ 2" with spacers to fit JK Rubicon wheels (which looked awesome, IMO), but my current project with the JLR is confusing the heck out of me.

The goal is to fit 37x12.5 tires (on 17" wheels) on my 2 door JLR. My understanding is I'm already getting 1.5" of lift due to the coils on the Rubicon- so I don't really want to swap out the coils. I was thinking a 2.5" spacer boost and replace the shocks (something like this) https://www.extremeterrain.com/tera...er-lift-kit-with-9550-vss-shocks-1365360.html

However, in the product description (and in a chat with an advisor at XT), Teraflex says this lift only supports 35" tires. If I'm not mistaken, I can run 35" tires without doing anything (due to the fenders and ride height), so how could lifting another 2.5" not allow me to run 37" tires?

Like I said, confusing. On one thread, the Rancho lift (with adjustable shocks) was recommended, and I liked that idea- but all the Rancho kits with shocks seem to include coils (and I'd really like to keep the factory coils).

So my question is- is there a 2.5" spacer lift with replacement shocks and linkages that would allow me to keep my stock coils so I can stuff those 37" tires on (btw, the KMC wheel I'm going with will move the tire out about 2", so it should clear on the inside)?

Thanks for any direction!
Sponsored

TakingChances

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler
Can anyone help me? I'm looking at the teraflex 3.5 on a 4door sport. I'm also planning on running 35s. This is my wife's setup. I feel as if the 3.5 is a bit much for just 35s. Also any other quality lifts around the 1800 dollar range like the teraflex. Thanks in advance.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Can anyone help me? I'm looking at the teraflex 3.5 on a 4door sport. I'm also planning on running 35s. This is my wife's setup. I feel as if the 3.5 is a bit much for just 35s. Also any other quality lifts around the 1800 dollar range like the teraflex. Thanks in advance.
Rock Krawler and Metalcloak can both be had in that range and are better, more complete lifts in my opinion.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Okay, I'm a newbie when it comes to lifting... Lifted my TJ 2" with spacers to fit JK Rubicon wheels (which looked awesome, IMO), but my current project with the JLR is confusing the heck out of me.

The goal is to fit 37x12.5 tires (on 17" wheels) on my 2 door JLR. My understanding is I'm already getting 1.5" of lift due to the coils on the Rubicon- so I don't really want to swap out the coils. I was thinking a 2.5" spacer boost and replace the shocks (something like this) https://www.extremeterrain.com/tera...er-lift-kit-with-9550-vss-shocks-1365360.html

However, in the product description (and in a chat with an advisor at XT), Teraflex says this lift only supports 35" tires. If I'm not mistaken, I can run 35" tires without doing anything (due to the fenders and ride height), so how could lifting another 2.5" not allow me to run 37" tires?

Like I said, confusing. On one thread, the Rancho lift (with adjustable shocks) was recommended, and I liked that idea- but all the Rancho kits with shocks seem to include coils (and I'd really like to keep the factory coils).

So my question is- is there a 2.5" spacer lift with replacement shocks and linkages that would allow me to keep my stock coils so I can stuff those 37" tires on (btw, the KMC wheel I'm going with will move the tire out about 2", so it should clear on the inside)?

Thanks for any direction!
Why are you so determined to keep your factory coils?

Sponsored

Varilux

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
ThirtyOne said:
Why are you so determined to keep your factory coils?
Mainly because my main goal was simply to install 37" tires. If I could have done that with absolutely no lift (and some have), I would have. However, when you increase tire diameter by 3.5" or so, it seemed wise to get the fender a bit higher up as well. I ended up going with a Teraflex 1.5" spacer lift, and that worked perfectly. No need to change shocks or springs, I still have enough travel to do the off-roading I do (no rock crawling, just going through ditches and mud through the forest), and no rubbing with my 37" tires installed. I basically wanted to run bigger tires without really changing the factory suspension, and this did the trick for me. The ride is pretty much the same (a little bouncier), and between the small lift and the tires I'm about 3.5" higher off the ground.
The wheels and tires were some $$$, but the lift to make it possible to fit them was <$200. I like that the gap between fender and tire is pretty much the same as it was- just bigger tires. Teraflex says you can't fit 37" tires with their 1.5" spacer lift, but- with an extra 1.5" of bump stop, it's worked just fine- even when flexed.
[Edit addendum]- I remember how putting 33" wheels and tires from a Rubicon seemed huge on my old TJ- it's amazing that the new "big" is now 37" at the minimum and 40" if you are covered in cash. I have to say the 37" tires actually have a purpose (other than looking cool). On the forest trails I travel, it's not uncommon to have a tree fallen over the trail- the tree may be 5" in diameter and be sitting 6-10" off the ground. With the 37s", I can nudge up against the tree, climb over it, clear it, and just keep going (without even leaving 2-Hi). Couldn't be happier with the setup I have for the offroading I do (and those wheels and tires make me smile every time I see them :^)! If-like me- you wanna go bigger but are going back and forth between 35" and 37", trust me and go with the 37s"- you'll be glad you did!
Jeep Wrangler JL Aftermarket JL Lift Kit suspension options master list f40c2f011fa36d9bb7a66df496eccae3951bbcfb

Last edited:

ClusterHead

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Granite Crystal JLUR Recon, 2014 HD Street Bob, Dodge Caravan
Occupation
Data Managenet Lead
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Wrangler JL Aftermarket JL Lift Kit suspension options master list f40c2f011fa36d9bb7a66df496eccae3951bbcfb
No, but it looks great with 35”s for full articulation and no roller skate look. Pic is my rubi with 35”s no lift, icons stage IV/V 2.5” lift on rubicon with 35” tires and the JK with 4” lift and 37” tires.
Thanks, this photo helped me finalize my decision.

John0303

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler sport unlimited
Just had a 2.5 inch Clayton Off-road Overland kit with Fox shocks installed. Kit included front and rear track bars as well as 8 adjustable control arms. Only driven about 40 miles so far but it has been perfect

What are thoughts on this lift now that some time has passed?

Sponsored

Redhotmissel

First Name
Chesli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai
I’m pretty ignorant when it comes to suspension and lifts. What is the best/most “affordable” brand for a lift kit? I obviously don’t want a cheap one and for the ride to be worse, but I see some that are 3,000 dollars and think that’s ridiculous. I’m thinking a 3.5 inch lift with my 35s. What would be your suggestion?

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I’m pretty ignorant when it comes to suspension and lifts. What is the best/most “affordable” brand for a lift kit? I obviously don’t want a cheap one and for the ride to be worse, but I see some that are 3,000 dollars and think that’s ridiculous. I’m thinking a 3.5 inch lift with my 35s. What would be your suggestion?
That's the million comment question you'll get all kinds of people's opinions why it's better to spend more money or spend less money on something I can't hear that that's it that's it all

Boutch76

First Name
Yannick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport JL 2D Manual
I went to 4 off-road/Overland shop today inquiring about roof racks and RTT for my JL 2 doors. The first place I went to, the guy ask me what suspension I had, when I said I had a stock suspension with a RC lift kit he said you don't want to put a roof rack with accessories and a RTT on a stock suspension. He then proceed to tell me that he tried 5 different suspensions in the last year, he has a Diesel 4 doors Rubicon fully loaded Overland build, and he said the 3.5 inches Teraflex with Falcon Mono shocks, Teraflex drop brackets and Falcon Nexus steering stabilizer gave him the best results. He also said this is the only suspension of the 5 that didn't bottomed out.
The quote he gave me was 3830 Canadian, so around 2500us.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I went to 4 off-road/Overland shop today inquiring about roof racks and RTT for my JL 2 doors. The first place I went to, the guy ask me what suspension I had, when I said I had a stock suspension with a RC lift kit he said you don't want to put a roof rack with accessories and a RTT on a stock suspension. He then proceed to tell me that he tried 5 different suspensions in the last year, he has a Diesel 4 doors Rubicon fully loaded Overland build, and he said the 3.5 inches Teraflex with Falcon Mono shocks, Teraflex drop brackets and Falcon Nexus steering stabilizer gave him the best results. He also said this is the only suspension of the 5 that didn't bottomed out.
The quote he gave me was 3830 Canadian, so around 2500us.
I have not seen a diesel yet . Are the diesels very loud