Insight needed from Rubicon owners

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Well I have made the decision awhile back to end my 10 year relationship with my JK Sport to order a new JL around February. I have modified it throughout the years to stay within the budget I had at the time. I am now more financially secure so I really have my eyes on ordering a 2 door Rubicon.

I am just seeking out some insight on a few things from Rubicon owners considering this will share the responsibilities of daily driver and off roader as my JK does. Mainly highway daily driving and trail with some moderate rock crawling when off road.

•What are your impressions so far bone stock?
•What mods do you think are absolutely necessary if any for a stock Rubicon for driving habits I mentioned above?
•What are your personal thoughts from experience on the factory aux switches and steel bumpers?
•What winch recommendations do you have? Not going to be used heavily just there for those just in case scenarios.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ascuro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392, 1985 CJ7, 1975 CJ5
Bone stock or not, easily the most comfortable and well-mannered wrangler yet.

Doesn't sound like anything would be really absolutely necessary, assuming your rock crawling isn't too extreme.

Factory aux switches are great, definitely worth it. Steel bumpers on the other hand are the one option I wish I'd skipped - the front is good, but the rear is next to useless. For the money, I'd go aftermarket for both.

I don't have a winch, but the Harbor Freight ones seem to be a popular budget-friendly option here.

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
For a daily driver, the number one "mod" you should do no matter the trim is a dead pedal. It's just uncomfortable without it.

For off-road the only real "necessary" mod would be a winch (and capable bumper as needed). Though you can usually get away without a winch it's just one of those things that when you need it, you need it. Rubicon has already got great clearance, great tires, lockers, sway bar disconnects, etc. I dunno maybe some lighting if you're going at night?

I haven't used the aux switches at all yet - my key point on this one is that it's part of the tow package. While adding the hitch itself is trivial, the wiring for it is not. Getting aux switches with it is just a nifty bonus. I tow more than I crawl, so that was important to me.

OP
OP
Jeep4Win

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Bone stock or not, easily the most comfortable and well-mannered wrangler yet.

Doesn't sound like anything would be really absolutely necessary, assuming your rock crawling isn't too extreme.

Factory aux switches are great, definitely worth it. Steel bumpers on the other hand are the one option I wish I'd skipped - the front is good, but the rear is next to useless. For the money, I'd go aftermarket for both.

I don't have a winch, but the Harbor Freight ones seem to be a popular budget-friendly option here.
What about the rear bumper makes it useless compared to the front?

OP
OP
Jeep4Win

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
For a daily driver, the number one "mod" you should do no matter the trim is a dead pedal. It's just uncomfortable without it.

For off-road the only real "necessary" mod would be a winch (and capable bumper as needed). Though you can usually get away without a winch it's just one of those things that when you need it, you need it. Rubicon has already got great clearance, great tires, lockers, sway bar disconnects, etc. I dunno maybe some lighting if you're going at night?

I haven't used the aux switches at all yet - my key point on this one is that it's part of the tow package. While adding the hitch itself is trivial, the wiring for it is not. Getting aux switches with it is just a nifty bonus. I tow more than I crawl, so that was important to me.
I may give the dead pedal a try. 10 years without one in the JK may throw me off since I’m used to not having one.

Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Number one mod if you're keeping it stock is the longer Mopar front LCA's. This will make the handling so much better as stock Rubicon's don't have enough caster to feel comfortable at higher speeds.

Number two is a stronger aftermarket front track bar. You'll feel the difference in handling as soon as you install it.

The Aux switches are a must have if you ever plan on adding anything electrical. There are several horror stories on this forum with members installing the Aux switches themselves and having issues. There are many more who didn't have any problems. But I try to stay away from doing any kind of wiring (except winches and lights) and theres a lot of peace of mind by having it installed at the factory.

I'm partial to Warn winches, but I was a big fan of the old Superwinch EPi series too. I use the VR EVO series as it's cheaper than their other models, but I feel strikes a good balance between price, reliability, and features. I have an issue with trusting knock off brand winches when I'm doing a recovery and a part failure could result in damage or injury.

One of my JLUR's has the steel bumper group and the other doesn't. I agree with the above post where the rear is pretty weak. I do love the front bumper though and would definitely add a take off to replace my plastic front bumper. If you think you're going to be banging the rear bumper while off roading, then either don't get the steel bumpers or replace it. I'm on 37's and haven't had my rear steel bumper hit anything yet.

OP
OP
Jeep4Win

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Number one mod if you're keeping it stock is the longer Mopar front LCA's. This will make the handling so much better as stock Rubicon's don't have enough caster to feel comfortable at higher speeds.

Number two is a stronger aftermarket front track bar. You'll feel the difference in handling as soon as you install it.

The Aux switches are a must have if you ever plan on adding anything electrical. There are several horror stories on this forum with members installing the Aux switches themselves and having issues. There are many more who didn't have any problems. But I try to stay away from doing any kind of wiring (except winches and lights) and theres a lot of peace of mind by having it installed at the factory.

I'm partial to Warn winches, but I was a big fan of the old Superwinch EPi series too. I use the VR EVO series as it's cheaper than their other models, but I feel strikes a good balance between price, reliability, and features. I have an issue with trusting knock off brand winches when I'm doing a recovery and a part failure could result in damage or injury.

One of my JLUR's has the steel bumper group and the other doesn't. I agree with the above post where the rear is pretty weak. I do love the front bumper though and would definitely add a take off to replace my plastic front bumper. If you think you're going to be banging the rear bumper while off roading, then either don't get the steel bumpers or replace it. I'm on 37's and haven't had my rear steel bumper hit anything yet.
Thanks for the input on the front LCA and track bars. My JK currently has a Quadratec stealth winch on it but I have been looking at Warn the last few weeks for the future JL. Is your winch connected to one of the aux switches or the battery?

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the input on the front LCA and track bars. My JK currently has a Quadratec stealth winch on it but I have been looking at Warn the last few weeks for the future JL. Is your winch connected to one of the aux switches or the battery?
I installed the Warn Power Interrupt Kit between the winch and the battery. Aux 4 controls the on/off of the Power Interrupt Kit. The PIK only uses like 5 amps for the power on wire and Aux 4 is a 15 amp switch.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Skid plates. The factory left a lot to be desired on undercarriage protection. Definitely skip the steel bumpers. The rear is worse than useless and much better aftermarket options for the front for less money. I also agree with a quality winch.

Last edited:

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
The rear metal bumper can push into the body if you come down on a rock on the corners. Lots of people have had it happen including myself. The front bumper is pretty good though.

Sponsored

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
A stock Rubicon wll do what you need of it - depending on your definitions of use.

Self-recovery gear (winch, etc)
Ground Clearance (even just a modest left)
Appropriate Tires (durable and aggressive AT or MT)

These three will make even a Sahara tackle most trails out there.

Aux switches are great and worth the package price,
Front steel bumper is great. Rear can bend easy on a trail if hit right.

If you are not doing anything extreme a factory/stock Rubicon will probably out pace your driving. If honest, most mods are done to be cool and not out of necessity. Each of my mods were done for a purpose to fit my use of the vehicle - not someone else's use. Keep it purpose-built for your driving and you will be fine with it.

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Since you are ordering a JLR, here's some thoughts based on my experience with the 2020 JLR that was ordered in December

Jeep Wrangler JL Insight needed from Rubicon owners 2020 June Rain

Answers to the questions:
Though only lasting 800 miles before being lifted, the Jeep was a blast to drive, including some DD (~50 miles each way). The lift was a 3.5" RK lift T-Rex (i.e., mid arm in the front, long arm in the back). The JLR drives really nice.

•What mods do you think are absolutely necessary if any for a stock Rubicon for driving habits I mentioned above?
For off road and rock crawling, along with highway DD, this is my list of recommended mods
RK T-Rex Lift
Steer Smart steering
Artec Aluminum belly skids (custom made from a 4-door kit)
Front and Rear diff skid
Artec Truss system
Locked Off Road Hydr bump stops
Dirty Life bead locks with 37's
Artec front and rear bumpers
Rusty's tire carrier.

•What are your personal thoughts from experience on the factory aux switches and steel bumpers?
Ordered the factory aux switches, not used yet.
Skip the steel bumpers and get a good set aftermarket bumpers (e.g., Artec)

•What winch recommendations do you have? Not going to be used heavily just there for those just in case scenarios.
Buy good stuff so you only have to buy stuff once.
When you need a winch, it cannot fail.
A warranty is useless when you are broke on the trail.
Recommend Warn Zeon 10S winch.

Outlawd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 punk'n Rubicon unlimited, 1968 Plymouth GTX, 1969 Coronet R/T 440 BDS 871 blower 900hp
Based on the driving habits you described (which are the same as mine) Highway and interstate, no problem. Off road trails, no problem. moderate rock crawling, no problem. These things are exactly what the Rubicon model is built for and why I went with a Rubi, I mounted some 35's for looks other than that for what I do it needed zero additions. All it needs is somebody to sit in the drivers seat that's why they cost 55,000 bucks, lol.

Whisky19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, JEEP!!!!!!!
With my 2020 Rubi JL now 6 weeks old I am beyond happy with my 3rd and by far best Jeep I’ve ever owned. Mine is Used primarily for dirt road and country paved. Living in Vermont an absolute MUST was the Cold Weather Package. As for other options.. I opted for the following:

Alpine w/ 8.4” screen( if you enjoy music this is a fantastic upgrade)

Auxiliary package( to keep the lines and aesthetics on the inside, having these switches so easily accessible was worth every penny)

Steel Bumper( with the bolts already in place , add ons are easy to install and look amazing
Jeep Wrangler JL Insight needed from Rubicon owners 1592740636868

Jeep Wrangler JL Insight needed from Rubicon owners 1592740671382

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Well I have made the decision awhile back to end my 10 year relationship with my JK Sport to order a new JL around February. I have modified it throughout the years to stay within the budget I had at the time. I am now more financially secure so I really have my eyes on ordering a 2 door Rubicon.

I am just seeking out some insight on a few things from Rubicon owners considering this will share the responsibilities of daily driver and off roader as my JK does. Mainly highway daily driving and trail with some moderate rock crawling when off road.

i have a JLUR so, keep those extra 2 doors in mind.....

Bone stock: Daily driver is GREAT. Zero issues. Comfortable, drives well. Zero modifications to suspension components needed for my JLUR to drive Perfectly on-road. Love it. OFF_ROAD, it just eats any dirt that you can throw at it. Unless you are some kinda warrior, the Rubicon‘s Stock capabilities will exceed yours.

mods: get some recovery gear and get some trail lights. Personally, I also like a tailgate table. DD mods: I like an interior rack in the back. Texas Metalworks (John, on these boards) makes a GREAT one..not sure that they or anyone else makes one for a JLR. Also, for me, I see no reason to lift the JLUR. Others will find it’s a necessity. But I mostly drive in the city and get out on some ’easy” trails when I can. The stock Rubicon will handle the stuff I drive on easily. My advice..... don’t lift.....yet..... go out and use your Jeep the way that you want to use it first. Do that for a year. If you then find that you want to lift it, then, up she goes. Otherwise, why invest in a lift (unless you just like how it looks) and possibly deal with changes to the way it rides/drives on the road?

aux switches and metal bumper: Aux is an absolute MUST HAVE if you are thinking about adding some lights or or a compressor or......... some other goodies. Steel bumper is also easy to bolt stuff on to. Mopar makes grille guards that fit.... lights can go on guard If you want. I also like that you can make the factory steel bumper a stubby if you wish and put the wings back on if you don’t.

winch (I don’t own yet.... soon): Warn 10-S. I will likely be putting in a cutoff switch (power interrupt) between the winch and the battery. Warn sells one. the cutoff switch will wire to the aux switches.

hope that helps.
Sponsored

Last edited: