Is it me or is there a lag gas pedal to engine

halibut214

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport X
I'm having a helluva time with response time of foot to gas pedal to engine. It's almost like there's enough of a lag time that I let off and then press again only to have it lurch forward. Not exactly fun when rock crawling. This is my second Jeep and I experienced no problems like this with the first. I thought it was perhaps a problem with my rig but I experienced the exact same thing in a loaner I got from the dealer. Is this normal and you just get used to it? Can it be adjusted? Thanks
Sponsored

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
I’m guessing you have the four-cylinder, 2.0 L engine. It takes a second or two for the turbo to spin up, that causes a little bit of a lag feeling.

OP
OP

halibut214

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport X
3.6 Auto. Same thing I had in my 2015 that I did not have this issue with.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

I havent noticed it but possibly drive by wire which i believe is in most vehicles nowadays. It was very noticeable in my explorer sport.

Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I'm having a helluva time with response time of foot to gas pedal to engine. It's almost like there's enough of a lag time that I let off and then press again only to have it lurch forward. Not exactly fun when rock crawling. This is my second Jeep and I experienced no problems like this with the first. I thought it was perhaps a problem with my rig but I experienced the exact same thing in a loaner I got from the dealer. Is this normal and you just get used to it? Can it be adjusted? Thanks
Hey Mike:

The following suggestion may totally be off base, but I think worth a try.

I experience something that might be called lag, as you described, in both of my newer vehicles with drive by wire functionality. My older vehicles that are less of "computers on wheels" I don't experience this with.

I resolved it by making sure that the heel of my right foot was planted on the vehcile's floor before applying pressure to the pedal.

You may be doing this and my suggestion could be completely off, but should I press either gas pedal near its top, with my foot not firmly planted as described, such that pressure is not applied evenly to the surface of the accelerator pad, I get something that could be described as that you speak of.

Good luck.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Get a throttle controller and not have the lag anymore. I personally use the Hikeit X9 controller and love it. I set mine to Eco mode/level 5 for on and off road. It takes out the lag and provides for consistent application of the accelerator. My 16 year old son likes the Sport mode/Level 5. The Jeep accelerates instantly and aggressively with the Sport mode.

jetpuck73

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Get a throttle controller and not have the lag anymore. I personally use the Hikeit X9 controller and love it. I set mine to Eco mode/level 5 for on and off road. It takes out the lag and provides for consistent application of the accelerator. My 16 year old son likes the Sport mode/Level 5. The Jeep accelerates instantly and aggressively with the Sport mode.
That is what I have also, works like limeade said.

Sponsored

C2D2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I noticed it immediately in mine when I first got it. (3.6 auto.) I installed a PC. Now I only notice the lag when it’s cold on start-up.

72Blazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72BlazerCrawler 72Blazer12V 88SBDuramax 18JLUR
Occupation
SLP
Another vote for HikeIt. I noticed it a lot more when I jumped to 37s. Works solid now.

Joltes

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon, 1969 VW Beetle
Vehicle Showcase
I had the lag also. I got a Pedal Commander and it fixed it about 90%. Sometimes I still feel it, but I have a manual transmission also.
The problem I hate is when the engine over revs between shifts. It is like the gas pedal (computer) doesn't let off of the gas and the motor hangs at a slightly higher rpm.