Sponsored

Looking for a little insight on going from a "performance car" to a new Wrangler JL

buried20kleague

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Crush Rubi
I'm a Viper guy. I've had three of them. Along with other daily drivers at the same time.

Once I got my 2013 Crush Rubi, the desire to pull the Viper out of the garage quickly started to lessen. It was odd. I never thought that would happen. I just found the Jeep to be such a fun drive, with the ability to take the top and doors off and so forth. And my feeling has always been when you have a car as expensive as a Viper sitting in a garage and you don't run out the back door every day because you want to drive it... You probably shouldn't have it anymore. So I got rid of it. I haven't gotten the itch since, and that was almost 3 years ago (an eternity for me when it comes to cars).

The other thing I find odd and hilarious at the same time... I've had 10 times as many people stop me and comment on my Jeep than EVER commented about any of my Vipers. By FAR. It's not even close.

Pic for reference of my last one:

noawls.jpg
Sponsored

JL-Xile

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Nissan GTR, 2018 JL Rubicon
I went from a 2014 JK Rubi to a Nissan GTR... that was an easy choice for me.
And, going from the GTR to a JL Rubicon a year later, was one of the hardest choices ever.
But, I'm happy I did it!
The JL is a great machine, and I can't wait to make it my own.

You've just got to accept that it's a different project than your Performance Vehicle. :)

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
There’s something special about driving a Wrangler that’s fun and exciting, however…

Especially for a two-door, driving a Wrangler is like Jeeping all the time, and as a result is a lot more work, both in counter-steering due to winds as well as dealing with bumps. The net result is for on-road use, you will almost always get to a destination more refreshed and relaxed driving something else.

I didn’t realize that until after I sold my TJ and drives that used to seem endless and would wear me out in the Wrangler seemed no big deal and just plain quick in an (in my case) Audi.

However, I do agree that I got more compliments on my Wrangler at drive-thrus and such than I have on other vehicles I’ve owned.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Maybe in you rneckof the wood but in los angeles, orange county or san diego when you are in heavytraffic it is very nice to be above the crowds. Other wise you are just looking at tail pipes for f250s chevy trucks etc. and you time available to stop in ebb and flow traffic( 1 step above bumper to bumper lock down) is greatly reduced.. all of which creates a high stress environment for your drive. iMHO

Shinysideup

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX, JLU soon
I started with a 2002 Subaru WRX that I added rims & rubber, new tuning ECU, improved the breaks & suspension. Not 'performance' but at least to me it's been pretty fun to drive fast and take turns. I bought 2005 LJ in 2007 for a camping/utility vehicle fully expecting to drive around wishing I was back in my WRX unless I was off road. What really happened was I found the Jeep a very enjoyable (but different) type of driving experience. In fact for short trips around town I prefer the Jeep and needless to say off road is really fun. My Jeep biggest driving complaint has been the horrible break fade coming down off the mountains if you don't manage sustained breaking properly. Had them smoking one trip and had to pull off and stop for a while. I look forward to getting a JL with the reviews about improved breaks, highway driving, and handling but that wouldn't have stopped me from getting another Jeep. 15 years after getting the WRX and 10 years of Jeep I still have both vehicles and feel I have the best of both worlds.
I'm moving from an '11 WRX wagon to a JLU Rubicon. I bought my Subaru as both a daily driver and track car. It was a worthy "do everything" car in CA but I think I'll enjoy better suspension and clearance for CO winter's and roads. Plan is to start exploring offroading and in a few years get something RWD to compliment the Jeep.

I was worried that I'd be frustrated if the JL felt sluggish. I test drove a 3.6 JLU and it felt fine merging onto the highway. Not as quick as a performance car, but not scary like an underpowered crossover. I'm hoping the 2.0L I ordered will feel even better at this elevation.

Sponsored

Jjirish

First Name
Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep 392, 2024 Jeep 392, 2023 BMW X7C
Occupation
Lurking the forum
Hmmm.... In the past year I have had.... 1. 2017 Custom J. Cooper Mini Coop... 2. 2017 Jag F Pace S.... 3. 2018 Jag F Pace S.... 4. MB Amg 63.... 5. 2017 Jeep Rubi Recon... now waiting on Ocean Blue Rubi.... I have also a 2017 Raptor (totally tricked, ok its my guys which makes it mine).... I have also had an E350, 325i, 4 previous jeep wranglers.... I love to drive fast. I love performance. An open highway is my playground BUT put me in a topless jeep and I at my happiest. Its a feeling of freedom like no other. Now I would love to drop 62k into my new jeep and go hellcat, dont get me wrong. But jeep is a lifestyle, a way of thinking, performance cars get old IMO.... jeeps keep you young! Even if I kept a porsche widebody as a third vehicle I doubt I would ever drive it. I pass guys at 90mph now and its sooooo fun!

misterjeep

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche Macan GTS, Range Rover Sport
I've always had a performance car, from numerous Corvettes to a Lamborghini even a Demon. Like wise I've always had a JEEP. The Wrangler will give you more smiles to the mile. It will "fit in" anywhere from Rodeo drive to Moab, while they are fun to drive you cannot leave a performance car anywhere these days.
My cars are rarely driven, the Wrangler gets driven everyday.

Cannot go wrong with resale either, I purchased a JL Sahara 3 weeks ago then decided I wanted a Rubicon.
Carmax offered me $400 more for the Sahara than I paid for it.
I can totally vibe with you. For me it was always one sports car, one SUV. For the SUV it was everything from a range rover, to an AMG G-wagen, to a Land Cruiser but I had always had a special spot for Jeeps because I felt like they were everything you needed and nothing extra and there's something almost sexy about that.

I decided to finally take the dive recently and am going to finally do something about it, ordering a JL!

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I've never given a Wrangler a second look until I saw my first JL several days ago, and it instantly had me hook, line, and sinker. Added to that is also the fact that we bought a new Grand Cherokee Summit last year that we absolutely LOVE, so I'm really thinking that a Wrangler JL (Sahara) is my next ride. One thing I'm curious about... I currently drive a 2014 Mustang Premium V6 with the performance package, and I've usually made it a point to have more "performance" oriented cars (not crazy or anything... just "peppy"). While I fully realize that the comparison is apples and oranges, are there any current Jeep Wrangler owners out there that made a similar change to what I'm considering doing? Any pros / cons / plusses / minuses you'd care to share? I'd love to hear about your experience with making the big change. Thanks!
I went from a 2010 Ram 1500 with the Hemi to my Wrangler. I do miss the raw power and that is one of the things I really have to get used to. I can't just gun the engine to make it into (or out of) heavy traffic situations like I could. You've gotta be more strategic.

I will say this, I am getting much better mileage now, plus I can maneuver through parking lots. I haven't taken her on a trail yet so I can't give a good off road opinion yet.

JL-Xile

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Nissan GTR, 2018 JL Rubicon
Good info in this thread. One thing I’ll warn you of is the brakes. My challenger’s massive brakes make stopping a joke, but in the jk there was much to be desired. Got in an accident after someone pulled out in front of me in the rain and I couldn’t stop for what felt like a lifetime. Really hoping the brakes are better on the jl. That was my only complaint about the jk.
They aren’t... in my opinion.

Sponsored

gspfunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep WK1 SRT8, Chevy Trailblazer SS
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't read through all the posts, but I've wanted CJ/Wrangler forever. We currently have a Trailblazer SS (slightly modded) and a Grand Cherokee SRT8 (moderately modded), and I've been planning to get into a JK for a while (now a JL, instead).

The plan is to trade/sell the TBSS in the near future and get into a JL Rubicon. Based on my personal experience, I want the 4.10's and other Rubi features and could care less about gas mileage. We'll still have the SRT for a fast vehicle and then the Rubicon will be for driving wherever and over whatever. The 4.10's will give it a "little" more go, as well.

Brakes: an easy improvement is to switch from the stock pads to something with more bite. I swear by StopTech Street pads and run them on both of our current vehicles. You sacrifice dust, as in there's more of it, but they should work well even on stock rotors. That will be one of the first things I do if I'm not happy with the braking. Ceramic pads don't stop as well and are usually OEM due to the lower amount of dust. I'm not a fan.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
for me it was a no brainer, My first car was a 1965 chevy corvair convertable 4 speed It was a very respectable little car and very quick, as alot of muscle car wanna bes found outhe hard way. as i worked more and got more sucessful I got into sports cars MY first 4x4 was a 77 cj 7 golden eagle it gets in your blood and stays there after 2 corvettes a supra and a viper. I got tired of looking at th exhaust pipes of everything around me. and back to 4x4s and jeeps in particluar it was plus I couldn't really open any of them up for any amount of time. IMHO

Climber17

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Arctic Unlimited.
I just traded my 2014 Corvette Stingray Premiere Edition on a Rubicon JL. Do I regret it? Hell no. If i keep driving sports cars the way they are meant to be driven then I will soon not have a drivers license. If we lived in Europe where the autobahn speeds are allowed I would have kept my sports car. This is my third Wrangler and I love them.

LD5kWPujRkK3Es6rrv2Tyw.jpg

m9uS46MAS2qql7vFMApmKw.jpg

SlickJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Honda Element (2018 JL 3.6L on order)
I just traded my 2014 Corvette Stingray Premiere Edition on a Rubicon JL. Do I regret it? Hell no. If i keep driving sports cars the way they are meant to be driven then I will soon not have a drivers license. If we lived in Europe where the autobahn speeds are allowed I would have kept my sports car. This is my third Wrangler and I love them.

LD5kWPujRkK3Es6rrv2Tyw.jpg

m9uS46MAS2qql7vFMApmKw.jpg
3.6L V6 or 2.0L Turbo?

Jo's Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I'm currently toying with the idea of selling my 2008 Challenger and getting a Sting-gray Rubicon after my wife got her Ocean Blue Sahara. It's a hard decision giving up that 6.1.L...
Sponsored