Dogs in a 2-door?

JLNOLA

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sport S MT
Curious if there is any difficulty getting a big dog in the back of a 2-door JL. I'm thinking about placing an order for 2021 but just thought about if it will be hard to get my dog in the back seat. I've got a tall 70 pound Goldendoodle that I want to be able to have as co-pilot, but I'm a little worried about getting him in and there being enough space. He's pretty nimble but a little hesitant about jumping up into things if it's a tight space.

Let's assume I'm leaving the rear seats in place and he's not going to ride in the front seat. What's the process look like? Where do your dogs ride; behind the rear seats, hop in the side door to the back seat? I'm not sure how the front seats move to allow entry to the rear and haven't had a chance to get to a dealer.

FWIW, I've got a Lexus LX570 for more spacious people and things hauling so I don't really want a JLU. Thanks!
Sponsored

Spdu4ia

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2dr Rubi
I removed the back seat the day i brought mine home. My dog loves the open space back there. Throw a dog bed in the back and just open the rear gate. Best dog vehicle ever... and a plus side my wife and I dont have to have passengers. " oh sorry , two seater only"

JP29

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport
I'm in a similar boat as my little bully was always my copilot on my starbucks runs back when I drove a POS S10 and didn't care to protect the seats or interior. She'll usually stay in the back until she decided she might get a pup cup and then squeeze her way into the front. Thinking more and more I may remove the rear seats for summer and get a weathertech mat or something for the rear for when we take them to the lake.

Dog tax:

Jeep Wrangler JL Dogs in a 2-door? 20200320_110545

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
With the back seat in place it’s a bit of a process. I have a similarly-sized Airedale terrier (72 lbs) and to get him in the back, he has to hop on the passenger seat then climb back there. Normally the back seat is out though and he just jumps up through the tailgate. You may have to lift your pup either way though; I could definitely see ingress into the Jeep being a problem for older dogs or dogs that are hesitant to jump.

OP
OP
JLNOLA

JLNOLA

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sport S MT
With the back seat in place it’s a bit of a process. I have a similarly-sized Airedale terrier (72 lbs) and to get him in the back, he has to hop on the passenger seat then climb back there. Normally the back seat is out though and he just jumps up through the tailgate. You may have to lift your pup either way though; I could definitely see ingress into the Jeep being a problem for older dogs or dogs that are hesitant to jump.
Thanks, this is helpful. He can definitely jump in the back for several more years, but the space behind the seat seems like it could be too small. I like the idea of just taking out the back seats, although my wife will think it's ridiculous, but the problem is that I have no place to store it at my house.

Sponsored

webertiger

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Occupation
Physics and Astronomy Teacher
Thanks, this is helpful. He can definitely jump in the back for several more years, but the space behind the seat seems like it could be too small. I like the idea of just taking out the back seats, although my wife will think it's ridiculous, but the problem is that I have no place to store it at my house.
Just leave it in the Jeep folded up. There will still be plenty of room for the dog.

Get a Velcro strap to keep it from bouncing around.

JP29

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport
Wife saw that the baby was whining as I was leaving and told me to bring her along on a soda run. Can confirm that if you fold up the rear seat and use the velcro strap around your headrest to keep it in place, it's plenty spacious. I had to lift her in, but after that she laid down the whole ride. I think it helps that the windows in the rear are super big, so there's no need for a dog to be bouncing around trying to get a good look out. She did get a bit hot though, you may want to have the AC on full blast if leaving the top on.

@CBEUnion

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU, 18 JL, 21 JL
95# Sheperd rides in the back in both the 2 door and 4 door. We fold the seats down in the 2 door, and bought a cargo area liner for each jeep because he's a German Shedder and drools like you wouldn't believe.

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
90 pound lab, no problem, but I have the back seat out. He has tons of room back there. I'd imagine it's not an issue if the rear seat is left in but folded fully forward.

OP
OP
JLNOLA

JLNOLA

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sport S MT
Just leave it in the Jeep folded up. There will still be plenty of room for the dog.

Get a Velcro strap to keep it from bouncing around.
Interesting idea, thank you. And Go Tigers!

Sponsored

WreckEm711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 6 speed
Wish there was bucket seating so you could take one side out. I have a carseat so having that in with room for the pup would be great, plus it wouldn't block the rear vents folding the seat up.

Sital

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Willys - Reign
My daughter has a 2-door and our larger (55 lb) goldendoodle never had a problem getting in the backseat. We'd just slide the passenger seat all the way forward and she could jump right in. Unfortunately she passed way in April. Our other smaller goldendoodle will just jump in the front seat and use the console to get to the back.

weagle93

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
I don't know what your storage situation is but the back seat does not take up much space to store. I keep mine in a $20 christmas tree bag I bought from amazon on the floor against the wall in the garage behind the jeep. The 2 door is so short there is plenty of room.

20200618_174533.jpg

JP29

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport
I don't know what your storage situation is but the back seat does not take up much space to store. I keep mine in a $20 christmas tree bag I bought from amazon on the floor against the wall in the garage behind the jeep. The 2 door is so short there is plenty of room.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dogs in a 2-door? 20200618_174533
Off topic but is that tint on your plastic windows? Didn't know that was possible, dig the look!

weagle93

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
Off topic but is that tint on your plastic windows? Didn't know that was possible, dig the look!
No tint. It is just the stock premium tan top. I guess it may look more tinted because of the tan.
Sponsored