Sponsored

What aftermarket battery are you running?

Chris2183

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S (Sold) 2021 JLU Willys
One word of caution is a Duracell large AGM. (purchased at a Batteries Plus store) We had one in one of our other trucks just recently die. It sat for two months due to the virus shutdown and went dead. They said the warranty was no good because the voltage in the battery went below 5 or so volts and voided it. Needles to say that ended that brand for us.
That sucks. I just bought a Duracell AGM for my JK and an X2 Power AGM for the JL as it is a rebranded Northstar battery that had good reviews. The tipping point for getting both was the longer warranty through Batteries Plus. Hopefully they will just outlive the warranties and I wont have to worry about it.
Sponsored

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
Yea, couldn't help myself.
That sucks. I just bought a Duracell AGM for my JK and an X2 Power AGM for the JL as it is a rebranded Northstar battery that had good reviews. The tipping point for getting both was the longer warranty through Batteries Plus. Hopefully they will just outlive the warranties and I wont have to worry about it.
If it is to be parked for an extended period of time put a battery tender on it. They told me that was what I should have done. It was fine till it was fully drained. One saving factor was the salesman (at Battery Plus) said he could "trick" the battery into taking a charge. Twelve hours later we got the battery back and it seems to be holding a charge for now at least. Ill still not put it in a critical application or rely on the warranty.
Just don't let it get too drained.

Brian0128

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 Toyota TRD PRO
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Optima Yellow Top H6. is what I installed about a month or so ago in our 2018 JLUR Perfect fit cables and all. Have had nothing but great service from Yellow Tops.
This H6 is heavier and has more reserve energy than the older designs.
Great Warranty
Did you need an adapter to fit or was it plug and play? Any concerns with the smart alternator and the charging profile of the H6?

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
If you keep ESS disabled via Tazer do you even have to care about the little ESS battery?

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
If you keep ESS disabled via Tazer do you even have to care about the little ESS battery?
Well the battery still has to be in good condition in order to start the engine, so yes you do need to care about it.

Last edited:

Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Im pretty sure none of the aftermarket programmers have the ability to disable ESS yet, but I could be wrong. I bought a start/stop eliminator. It plugs into your security gateway and remembers you last setting. Right after I start the Jeep the ESS off light comes on, now i have to break the habit of pushing the button. And, as stated above the main start relay is powered by the aux battery, thats what leaves you stranded when the little guy craps out.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Im pretty sure none of the aftermarket programmers have the ability to disable ESS yet, but I could be wrong. I bought a start/stop eliminator. It plugs into your security gateway and remembers you last setting. Right after I start the Jeep the ESS off light comes on, now i have to break the habit of pushing the button. And, as stated above the main start relay is powered by the aux battery, thats what leaves you stranded when the little guy craps out.
Oh yes. The tazer keeps the disabled setting. I haven’t touched the ESS button since the first week I owned the Jeep.

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
Did you need an adapter to fit or was it plug and play? Any concerns with the smart alternator and the charging profile of the H6?
It was like installing the factory battery. Identicle post layout. Even the recesses in the YT matched the JL cables. We have the Tow and LED package and the alternator is acting just as before except cannot possibly be working as hard because Everytime I check this Battery it is setting at 12.43 volts. Even after a cold start.

dugal

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara, 1974 BMW R90/6
Occupation
Retired, the best job I ever had.
I installed the SmartStopStart to disable ESS and I've kept it disabled from the beginning. i know from other threads that the ESS battery is still being charged. What I want to know from definitive sources (i.e. those that have done it successfully) is exactly how to eliminate the ESS battery altogether and use a single battery. Cheers

Sponsored

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Thats definitely good to know, wonder why that is, gonna have to look closer at the diagrams and figure out the why.
You will throw a code which can be erased by disconnecting your battery or with an obd ll scanner

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR Diesel, '17 Cherokee, '16 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Retired - most of the time anyway
Genesis dual battery kit with Odyssey batteries is what I use. That stupid little lawnmower battery is now in my wifes quad.
I agree Genesis Dual Battery kit with Odyssey Batteries..

Anything BUT Optima. Lucky for an Optima to last thru the 2 year warranty, had the last three replaced after just over a year.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I agree Genesis Dual Battery kit with Odyssey Batteries..

Anything BUT Optima. Lucky for an Optima to last thru the 2 year warranty, had the last three replaced after just over a year.
Yikes, so they have gotten that bad.
Sponsored