Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I just picked up my JLUS this AM after having the W12 recall done. It was pretty painless.

FWIW, just before I took it in for the recall I did the clutch test myself (rev to 4K, let out the clutch and floor it). It failed my test and the clutch slipped. I informed the dealer of the slipping clutch.
They did not replace the clutch on my JL, just bleed it, got rid of the clip and added the protective sleeve.
I talked to the service rep at length. He said they visually inspected the clutch too, and that it passed the dump/stress test.

I was skeptical so I re did the 4K rev, floor it and dump the clutch test again, and low and behold the clutch held and the engine instantly stalled. So what they did certainly helped. It does feel like a more solid engagement as well.

Also, my JL is heavily modified (PR44, 2.5” lift, Tazer in place, etc) and they have me zero pushback. Even we’re very accommodating when I asked not to have a computer reflash done. Really great service.
YMMV
Sponsored

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I just picked up my JLUS this AM after having the W12 recall done. It was pretty painless.

FWIW, just before I took it in for the recall I did the clutch test myself (rev to 4K, let out the clutch and floor it). It failed my test and the clutch slipped. I informed the dealer of the slipping clutch.
They did not replace the clutch on my JL, just bleed it, got rid of the clip and added the protective sleeve.
I talked to the service rep at length. He said they visually inspected the clutch too, and that it passed the dump/stress test.

I was skeptical so I re did the 4K rev, floor it and dump the clutch test again, and low and behold the clutch held and the engine instantly stalled. So what they did certainly helped. It does feel like a more solid engagement as well.

Also, my JL is heavily modified (PR44, 2.5” lift, Tazer in place, etc) and they have me zero pushback. Even we’re very accommodating when I asked not to have a computer reflash done. Really great service.
YMMV
Yeah I had the samething. I did my own test and it failed. Service advisor said this is why they do the test after installing the new hose and sleeve.

This is also why I believe they bleed the system to get air out. Then after these they dump the clutch to see if it continues to run.
Makes sense as the main issue here is not the clutch or pressure plate but more potential air in the system that contributes to additional wear on those parts with potential heat overload.

also there are dealers out there that are saying there are clutch issues that need replaced and sending the old clutch back and if it is not worn or showing issues I don’t think FCA is reimbursing the dealers. So this may cause some dealers to not act on potential clutch issues.

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
also there are dealers out there that are saying there are clutch issues that need replaced and sending the old clutch back and if it is not worn or showing issues I don’t think FCA is reimbursing the dealers. So this may cause some dealers to not act on potential clutch issues.
Ahh, I did not know about this last point. Make sense though. Anyway, I’m glad to have to done and my Jeep back. I feared it’d be away for weeks on end.

JT_SportS

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MT Wrangler Sport S
Given what I have read in this thread, I think there are many dealers that are in small markets, such I mine, that do not have a clue about what they are doing and learning on the fly. My jeep has been at the dealer 4 weeks tomorrow.

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
Yeah I had the samething. I did my own test and it failed. Service advisor said this is why they do the test after installing the new hose and sleeve.

This is also why I believe they bleed the system to get air out. Then after these they dump the clutch to see if it continues to run.
Makes sense as the main issue here is not the clutch or pressure plate but more potential air in the system that contributes to additional wear on those parts with potential heat overload.

And your evidence for this conspiracy theory is where? Just more speculation based on nothing.

Sponsored

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone have any before and after pics of the sleeve getting done. I haven’t had it done, scheduled to do it this Friday. Here’s a pic of it now. It has a sleeve on it already but I do see the clip too.

Is it a different sleeve ?

EE9DBFFC-3BDC-4698-B1F0-2E2470536E00.jpeg

A6FBEDB6-B39A-40F4-8907-B29A44143FC0.jpeg

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Ignore the ARB vent manifold for the breather tubes.
My before shot looked just like yours, here is my pic after the recall was done:

Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate] B6883D40-1D1A-4859-B51D-DBB6D745309A

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Ignore the ARB vent manifold for the breather tubes.
My before shot looked just like yours, here is my pic after the recall was done:
Ah, so it’s another sleeve but different material?

Either way, as long as it works, I’m good with it. Thanks for the pics.

ConqSoft

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 Door Rubicon 6 Speed
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah it’s just an extra sleeve they put over it. You can see the standard cover sticking out on each end.

When I bought mine it was in the showroom and only had 7 miles on it, and they had already added it.

A6723EF0-ED1F-42D7-9B12-F79885391578.jpeg

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, it looks like they just wrapped it in some type of material... not sure if it is for heat or friction??

Sponsored

AwCrimety

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUS

YMMV
This is what I'm worried about...if its been slipping and causing damage, and premature wear, but bleeding the line "fixes" it....isn't your clutch still at risk? If mine were to fail the test, I think I'd want a replacement, if not at least extended coverage of the clutch

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
Taking her in tomorrow for inspection... already got the W12 recall done but now smells like clutch most all the time......i am not hard on the jeep, as the fuel mileage will dictate
Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate] 20200616_044823
Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate] 15924054160613675788185571724323
and my mechanic said it sounds like it could be the clutch....
There's no noticeable rise in rpm's but it's that darn smell!....

LunchBoxFab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
this makes complete sense to me, imagine being on the jeep side dealing with all of these incompetent service departments.

Allagash27

First Name
Jacques
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
So I had my recall work done last week. They did the bit with the sleeve and hose and got no bubbles so they I should be good. The clutch was always working fine and no smell of burning ever.

2 days later I started hearing a squeaking noise when I step on the clutch pedal. It sounds like it's coming from the pedal itself not the transmission. Hope it's a coincidence. I'll lube the pedal pivot and see if it goes away.

Snake_Charmer

First Name
Suzanne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
So I have an update on my Jeep. After 5.5 weeks of it sitting at the dealership, we got a call yesterday afternoon that the part had come in, and it was ready to pick up. We went and got it. It seems fine. Honestly I don’t notice any difference in the clutch than before. Hopefully this is a lasting fix and there’ll be no more recalls! I am just relieved to have it back. It’s nice to have a loaner, but there are so many things you cannot do.. You can’t go out of state, you can’t go too far, you can’t tow, they even have in the contract NO pets in the loaner! My dogs were in deep depression with no rides. I’m going to Ouray in a couple of weeks, as we’ve done every year for 20 years. Maybe I’ll see some of you on the trails! I hope everyone who’s waiting on a part gets theirs fixed soon. Good luck to you all!
Sponsored