Sponsored

2018 Jeep Easter Safari Concepts Revealed: 4SPEED, Sandstorm, Nacho, Jeepster, J-Wagon

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I think that J-Wagon might be running the upcoming BFG KM3 tires, unless someone recognizes them as a particular available tread pattern.
Sponsored

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
Cool video. Thanks.
Anyway, as far as I know, every concept they make is robust enough to ride the trails out there. Iā€™ve certainly seen several different ones doing it in YouTube videos.

I have a special place in my heart for the FC Jeeps, but Iā€™m sure safety requirements make it impossible for them to be made new. When youā€™re the crumple zone, bad things happen.

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
I have a special place in my heart for the FC Jeeps, but Iā€™m sure safety requirements make it impossible for them to be made new. When youā€™re the crumple zone, bad things happen.
They could skirt the regs by going bigger (Class 3 truck), but that obviously won't happen. And it isn't particularly viable on a Wrangler based vehicle anyways.

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Jeep JLR
I know it is frustrating but it is not a 2 door issue. It is a multitude of options issue. As some have noted they do not have X option or Y option and hope they appear in later model years. This is because it is difficult to offer a LOT of options and deliver on time. I think FCA is staggering releases due to the amount of options available in this new design at launch. Hell I ordered Punk'n Orange and had seen more than one post that they will not be building Jeeps with that color until April. Now a few have gone out but the majority are on hold. Throw in the issue with not having enough soft tops and we get to where we are.

I do not believe they are holding back on 2 doors because they do not care. I think they ended up having to push a lot of items due to many reasons. Not caring about 2 doors however is not the reason.
I think they over produced the 4 door. My dealer has a multitude of unsold new 4 doors on their property and Iā€™ve read on another thread where the JLU is getting abundant in other parts of the country as well.

Letā€™s look at the backlog of JKā€™s hanging around dealer lots. What purpose did it serve to continue producing JKā€™s when they canā€™t give them away? Not very good thinking on the part of FCA. They should have stopped JK production at the end of last year and started making the 2 door JL on the rumored February 12th date.

Theyā€™re good enough to take peopleā€™s down payment and then let them hang out and whither on a vine with not so much of any explanation.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I think they over produced the 4 door. My dealer has a multitude of unsold new 4 doors on their property and Iā€™ve read on another thread where the JLU is getting abundant in other parts of the country as well.

Letā€™s look at the backlog of JKā€™s hanging around dealer lots. What purpose did it serve to continue producing JKā€™s when they canā€™t give them away? Not very good thinking on the part of FCA. They should have stopped JK production at the end of last year and started making the 2 door JL on the rumored February 12th date.

Theyā€™re good enough to take peopleā€™s down payment and then let them hang out and whither on a vine with not so much of any explanation.
They just came off an all time record February for Wrangler sales. I think they knew what they were doing. Those 2 doors will get here.

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Jeep JLR
They just came off an all time record February for Wrangler sales. I think they knew what they were doing. Those 2 doors will get here.
Thereā€™s a fairly accurate rumor that over 30k JLUā€™s have been produced so far. How many have they sold so far, how many have they sold in February? You think people are making stories up about how many unsold JLUā€™s and JKā€™s are sitting around collecting dust on dealer lots?

There was absolutely no foresight concerning the stock of new JKā€™s that still have to be sold. Without any exaggeration my dealer has around 15 JKā€™s that are going nowhere fast.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thereā€™s a fairly accurate rumor that over 30k JLUā€™s have been produced so far. How many have they sold so far, how many have they sold in February? You think people are making stories up about how many unsold JLUā€™s and JKā€™s are sitting around collecting dust on dealer lots?

There was absolutely no foresight concerning the stock of new JKā€™s that still have to be sold. Without any exaggeration my dealer has around 15 JKā€™s that are going nowhere fast.
You think FCA is lying about their sales figures? How many they have sold has nothing to do with how many are on the lots. Keeping the JK going while ramping up the JL was a brilliant move. My dealer has probably 25 JK's. What does that mean? Nothing. They are the highest volume dealer in my area and they sold the hell out of Wranglers in February, same as they always do. They just stack them deep because they sell alot of them.

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Jeep JLR
Just did a website search at my local dealer: 14 new ā€˜18 JLUā€™s. 16 new various JKā€™s and JKUā€™s. Thatā€™s just one dealer. If you canā€™t tell me they didnā€™t screw up and over produce then you just donā€™t get it.

Enough said.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just did a website search at my local dealer: 14 new ā€˜18 JLUā€™s. 16 new various JKā€™s and JKUā€™s. Thatā€™s just one dealer. If you canā€™t tell me they didnā€™t screw up and over produce then you just donā€™t get it.

Enough said.
They did not. Record February sales. They also are smart enough to stock deep before spring. When the weather warms up, sales of Wranglers go up. They are ready for the season. Jeep gets it. It is their second highest profit margin vehicle. They'll ultimately sell every one of them. Hard to sell them if you don't have any.

Sponsored

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase

Enough said.
I think Jeep did what they said they were going to do. Produce both so customers would have more choices when ordering. She me buy and strip it down and put in a v8 etc. those people may prefer a JK etc.

However, Jeeps donā€™t normally sit to long, and you rarely find big rebates on them. The fact that there are 2018 JLUā€™s that are being sold for 5-7% under invoice does point to a supply and demand issue. No longer is it where there are absolutely no discounts, and a hard time finding one. There are lots out there and the dealers are willing to deal. I think that there is a lot at play here, but I am not quite ready to claim that there was a screw up.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I think Jeep did what they said they were going to do. Produce both so customers would have more choices when ordering. She me buy and strip it down and put in a v8 etc. those people may prefer a JK etc.

However, Jeeps donā€™t normally sit to long, and you rarely find big rebates on them. The fact that there are 2018 JLUā€™s that are being sold for 5-7% under invoice does point to a supply and demand issue. No longer is it where there are absolutely no discounts, and a hard time finding one. There are lots out there and the dealers are willing to deal. I think that there is a lot at play here, but I am not quite ready to claim that there was a screw up.
I'd say you get it. If they were not selling enough of them, there would be incentives. Instead, they've raised the price in a subtle way, through the destination fee and by raising the invoice on some models. After those price increases, mine would have gone up by roughly 1500 bucks. You don't raise prices if you are having a hard time moving them.

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Jeep JLR
You think FCA is lying about their sales figures? How many they have sold has nothing to do with how many are on the lots. Keeping the JK going while ramping up the JL was a brilliant move. My dealer has probably 25 JK's. What does that mean? Nothing. They are the highest volume dealer in my area and they sold the hell out of Wranglers in February, same as they always do. They just stack them deep because they sell alot of them.
Iā€™m not saying FCA is lying about their sales. Iā€™m saying theyā€™re making a disproportionate amount of JLUā€™s compared to zero JLā€™s.

I know why and so do you know that the 4 door is their holy grail. So letā€™s screw the 2 door customers in favor of us making max profits. Thatā€™s just called unresponsible to another core of loyal customers.

So letā€™s go back to the original reason I posted on this thread; the fact their prototypes are 90% based on 2 doors that they choose to make at some distant future date whenever they get around to it.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™m not saying FCA is lying about their sales. Iā€™m saying theyā€™re making a disproportionate amount of JLUā€™s compared to zero JLā€™s.

I know why and so do you know that the 4 door is their holy grail. So letā€™s screw the 2 door customers in favor of us making max profits. Thatā€™s just called unresponsible to another core of loyal customers.

So letā€™s go back to the original reason I posted on this thread; the fact their prototypes are 90% based on 2 doors that they choose to make at some distant future date whenever they get around to it.
I don't remember the source, but I thought I bread that the 4 door out sells the 2 door by quite a bit. Maybe the delay is to get everyone eager to see them, and boost the sales of the 2 door? Having mostly 2 door based concept vehicles would also serve that purpose. Add in the colors that are more limited and you get a lot of people waiting what they can't have yet. Back to supply and demand. Lots of 4 doors, they are being priced to move and sell a lot. I bet by the time the 2 doors hit, demand will far outweigh supply and we won't see such large discounts a major first year redesign. (Figure 10 yr product cycles, so new model is unique)

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Of course they are. The Unlimited has outsold the 2-door since it debuted with the JK.

giphy-downsized.gif
Sponsored