JL Reliability Opinions/Thoughts

Pourboire

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
My first and only Jeep (2018 Turbo) started with electrical issues at 228 miles, EIGHT days after purchase.

ELEVEN times in the shop. THREE times towed to the dealership when it wouldn't start. Radio, electrical, breaking, starter, backup camera problems, you name it, that POS had it. THREE different dealerships with multiple different and useless findings.

Approx THIRTY postings on Jeep's Facebook and Twitter accounts to no avail. "We're sorry your having problems" was the extent of their "help".

THREE different Jeep Wave case managers, NO resolution. FCA did NOT stand behind the vehicle. Arbitration in my state was useless according to all of those owners I spoke with.

I even went to the AutoShow in DC and spoke directly with Jeep and FCA reps. NO help!

My "dream vehicle" that I'd wanted for 20 years was my nightmare vehicle.

Bought late June, unloaded to Carmax early March with barely 6,000 miles. Walked away with a big financial loss and NINE months of nightmares.
The only success I had with FCA, was to write directly to the head man, CEO, I copied the dealership management. Never heard from local dealership (No surprise), but within 2 weeks we received a call from a CEO representative. The bottom line, I was given a direct connection to their local reps. dealerships are individually owned (franchise) which means ... no words needed. In the end, I had a loan on the 2018JL, they paid for 1 month (about $471), I paired the loan off a few months later. Having worked with supply management taught me one thing, ifyou want results go to the top. Working with the underlings will hardly ever bring results. You ask did I ever hear from the manager of the dealership, I think you know the answer. I'ave had issues with many vehicle, and the only way I received results was going to the top. Had a rear axile seal with a new GMC Yukon. Fixed several times, failed always after repair. Wrote directly to CEO, even though the warranty period ended, they called and voila it was finally fixed. The axel needed to be replaced, Da.
Sponsored

Jeepdude101

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR black
Occupation
Construction field worker
Vehicle Showcase
Appreciate that. The Willys grille is at the top, too. I really like the legacy piece to it. Had gone back and forth over getting the official Mopar one, but the cost was ridiculous (even though I almost did it anyway...). Looked all over and finally found it at pixeldecals.com for a MUCH better price and got it. Extremely high quality 3M vinyl that was easy to apply using the wet method. I have gotten a lot of positive comments on it.
I don’t know how I missed that it’s kinda odd that they used a willys CJ2A grill instead of a MB. I guess because the MB was a military Jeep:like:

ObiMatt87

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU, 2018 Buick Enclave Avenir
Occupation
U.S. Air Force Active Duty (Retired), U.S. Air Force GS Civilian (Current)
I don’t know how I missed that it’s kinda odd that they used a willys CJ2A grill instead of a MB. I guess because the MB was a military Jeep:like:
Good point, and that would make sense if they were focused on the civilian versions only when they came up with the designs. Hadn't really thought of that. Your dog is hilarious in your profile pic, BTW! :CWL:

Jeepdude101

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR black
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Good point, and that would make sense if they were focused on the civilian versions only when they came up with the designs. Hadn't really thought of that. Your dog is hilarious in your profile pic, BTW! :CWL:
Yeah that dog has grown on the outside since then but not on the inside LOL. He’s such a baby.

Sponsored

Jeepdude101

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR black
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
2 Years and 18k miles. No issues with my 18 JLUR. Many miles of wheeling thru the concrete jungles and malls of So Cal.

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Reliability Opinions/Thoughts BC5A0397-D88A-4965-9213-106359D90727
It looks great but for the love of God put some bigger rubber on that thing! LOL it might just be the angle but it looks like you have a crap load of clearance.

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
2018 JLUR 34,165.00 Miles replaced main battery and just two days ago found small corrosion bubbles on bottom of front doors. Was just informed they will fix those areas on the 29th of June under warranty.

Wife and I both love this Jeep and have had no issues other than what is listed above.

We wheel it fairly hard, pull trailers, and wife drives daily.

JLUR STTs.jpg

Fonzilla85

First Name
Fonz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Lawman
It looks great but for the love of God put some bigger rubber on that thing! LOL it might just be the angle but it looks like you have a crap load of clearance.
Haha. That’s the plan, unfortunately living in California, Gavin Newsom takes a good chunk of my pay to fund his shenanigans.

Jeepdude101

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR black
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Haha. That’s the plan, unfortunately living in California, Gavin Newsom takes a good chunk of my pay to fund his shenanigans.
:CWL:Come over to the land of free Texas always needs more Jeeple!

SavannahAL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Ecodiesel
Occupation
U.S. Army soldier (retired)
23 Months - 28,000 miles - 2018 Sport Hard Top

I like my JL but I must have the rare bird.

- On day 3 - I encounter a thunderstorm as I was driving to church with a dress shirt and tie on. A good stream of water poured on my left shoulder and a second spot near the passenger rear hatch.
- The dealership had it for 5 or 6 days and now it is 98-99% water tight. I get just a few drips on my left shoulder in rain storms.

-Tomorrow it is going into the dealer for the 3rd time for overheating. It runs about 235F in stop-in-go traffic and also when going up hills in West Virginia (without towing). I see coolant boiling in the reserve plastic coolant container. I also experience coolant loss.

- The rear window defroster had failed twice. The first time was after 4 months and the approved procedure at that time was to replace the entire rear hatch. I waited 50 days for it to come in, the dealership said it was an in-demand part.

- Then a year later the rear defrost quit again. This time they were authorized to resolder a connection.

- I have the auto trans and upon starting and selecting reverse I get a clunk that I assume is coming from the rear diff. This just started at 25k miles.

I purchased in July 2018 so it was an early production JL.
I haven't towed with mine but I want to.
I'd like to tow a pop-up from Savanah, GA to Black Church, WV to hunt with an old Army buddy but I don't think I'd make it without being on the side of the road.

Sponsored

Melny67

First Name
Melvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep jlu
I had newer Honda's and newer Toyotas. The Honda gave me problems From out the gate. I only have 5 months and 4k miles on the JL that I got earlier this year. I know baby miles but the first few months says a lot about the build quality of a vehicle and I can honestly say the JL has zero issues. Everything works no nav problems or lags or glitches all my windows and switches feel solid and work every time. The drivetrain still feels stiff and not loose. I had a 2017 Honda crv which had plenty of bugs in the navigation and the window will roll down after puting it up. Transmission had a slight leak. The gear shifter knob exploded and that was owning it for one year. I have zero problems with the JL Just buy one and never look back.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Based on my experience only, my 07 JK was the without equivocation the most reliable vehicle I've owned. It's a "X", equivalent to a sport, manual transmission, pretty much no options. Over 130,000 miles and 3 new batteries, a set of shocks, tires and oil changes is pretty much all it's needed. On the 2017 JKU Sahara at 25,000 miles so far the only issue has been the light under the auto shifter illuminating the "D" or "P" at night keeps going out.

The 2018 JL Rubicon, standard trans, so far with only 7k hasn't had any issues. Oil changes and recall work. I sit with fingers crossed.

2020 Willys JL with the 2.0 and 8sp, at about 20 miles had the ESS light come on. We will see what's up with that.

As people have said, every car has issues, and people are irritated by different things. My GF loses her marbles over the lights in the shifter housing, I just don't get overly worked up about it. The '07 always had roof leaks, some people went berserk over the JKs incessant leak issues, I figured if I wanted a watertight car I'd have bought a sedan. No issue with their issues, they bought a car and have expectations, that's fine, I've just been lucky mine have been met so far. If the issues were mechanical, or serious to me, I'd lose it, too.

I love my Jeeps, can't imagine at this point owning anything else really, unless I had a jeep in the driveway to go along with it. They're just too much fun to own. I say buy the jeep, you'll be happier, have more fun, and chances are it will give you thousands of miles and years of good service.

Buy the taco after you have the jeep for a few years, that way you'll have something to tow it to the dealer with.....
Hi @Cazadores
Thank you for sharing your experiences with Jeep! We love to hear that you are enjoying the ride. If you would like our additional assistance during your dealer service regarding your 2020 JL, feel free to send our team a private message. We are happy to help!

Kathryn
JeepCares

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
I was reading that the Dodge truck (Mopar) was the worst for reliability and service issues. I havent had any issues at all with my Jeep, but then I know every sound and noise my jeep makes. I find issues early which have been very few. Love my Jeep

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
I had newer Honda's and newer Toyotas. The Honda gave me problems From out the gate. I only have 5 months and 4k miles on the JL that I got earlier this year. I know baby miles but the first few months says a lot about the build quality of a vehicle and I can honestly say the JL has zero issues. Everything works no nav problems or lags or glitches all my windows and switches feel solid and work every time. The drivetrain still feels stiff and not loose. I had a 2017 Honda crv which had plenty of bugs in the navigation and the window will roll down after puting it up. Transmission had a slight leak. The gear shifter knob exploded and that was owning it for one year. I have zero problems with the JL Just buy one and never look back.
You are living my alter life. I too had a Honda 2018 Civic Si. I had that thing in for service more than it was on the road. The paint literally just blew off one day while washing. It was on one of the panels so they just replaced it, exactly one year to the day (Hand on Bible) I was washing it and I use my own pressure washer. I use the lowest nozzle for my vehicles and the paint blew off the exact same place on the same panel. I will spare you the rant but imagine how pissed I was. I took it down and they told me I would have to pay for it. I went to the car and started taking all my things out of it. They ask me what I was doing. I told them I am going to take my things and then drive this POS through your showroom. They took it right in no charge. Found out later paint warranty is 3 years (dicks). You could lean on the car and dent it. It was the cheapest construction I have ever seen. Electrical problems, wheel problems, hated front wheel drive. I tried putting up with it. Woke up one morning and just drove over to the Jeep Dealer and got rid of it. Never again will I buy a Japanese car (Love my wifes Toyota truck), had a Nissan 370 Z and it was even a bigger POS. Love my JEEP, no issues and the dealership is great....

Jeepdude101

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR black
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
19,940 trouble-free miles and then I had some electrical problems last Thursday. Just got it delivered to the dealership this morning... I hope it’s just the ESS battery the dash looked like a Christmas tree LOL. But hey my manual transmission is still buttery smooth ;)

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Reliability Opinions/Thoughts JLUR STTs
So I got my JLUR back today they replaced the aux battery relay, aux battery, some aux battery fuses and the main battery. They covered it all under warranty except the main battery because I had put a new battery in it therefore voiding warranty fair enough. They stated the aux battery etc went bad due to high heat keep in mind we have been having a lot of triple digit days and I have been driving 500 ish miles a week so it’s understandable. anyway I have missed driving it it’s one of the most fun vehicles to drive still being manufactured.
Sponsored