JL Reliability Opinions/Thoughts

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
16K miles so far and I’ve been to the dealership no less than 10 times and sitting an entire month in the shop. (This is not including my Jeep got broken into and vandalized and sat another 3 weeks in the shop, though no fault to the shop)

4 times on steering related issues (loose steering, wandering / drifting / alignment and recall) and finally gave up and paid out pocket for parts and wrenched myself to get it properly fixed.

3 times on software related issues, uConnect and backup camera not working(not fixed). Headlight auto sensor not working(not fixed), gyroscope displaying incorrect angles causing ESS to fail.

Then Starter failed and towed to the dealer with no parts availability and sat in a shop for 15 days.

3 times and counting on an axle seal leak that was said to be fixed but started leaking again as soon as I took it home, then they said it was residual oil and I took it back and it kept leaking everyday for the next month and a half. It’s now at the dealer again. Been in shop for a total of 7 days and counting.

So far my one year and a half of Jeep ownership has been.. interesting.

(Owned a 2001 Camry for over 11 years prior to this and has been in the shop .. drum roll... 1 time for a timing belt)

But the Jeep still gives me a smile every time I climb in though =)
Sponsored

Last edited:

BeachNJeep

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubi 4xe, 2020 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
Occupation
Sub-acute hospital administrator
I have a Feb 2018 build and an Apr 2018 delivery. 37,550 hard miles commuting, wheeling and traveling to and from Ensenada, BC, Mexico. I got a Sport S with manual transmission, base radio and and premium soft top. I knew going in to the first model year of the JL there would be gremlins.
The base dashboard with actual gauges has not given me any problems. I never had the screen go blank. The base radio occasionally resets itself but it works and is very weather proof.
The HVAC controls are wonky. Every now and then, the display light behind the climate control goes dark, then turns on and the heat and defrost turn on even if the whole thing is turned off or on AC. When the secondary battery was replaced, the problem disappeared. But the problem has mysteriously resurfaced after about a year...
The secondary battery failed after 12,000 miles, but was replaced under warranty.
I had a slight knot in the steering where it would stick, but it has worked it's way out.
The top never leaks, but I think it's because it's one piece. The freedom tops on my JK leaked all the time...
The steering damper and clutch recalls were the only major issues.
Other than the mostly minor issues mentioned, it's been trouble free.
And I really do drive it hard and long distances and mudding and sand and wheeling.
I use it for what it's made and love this thing. It's more reliable than my 2016 JK Sahara with auto trans and navi. And this is for a first model year...

20200610_133645.jpg

20200111_140907.jpg

20200111_131559.jpg

Jeepdude101

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR black
Occupation
Construction field worker
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I may be jinxing myself, but my 2018 JLU Sahara with a little over 19K miles has been fantastic. It was one of the early ones, built in June 2018. I had the steering recall done, and had to replace my windshield after a big 'ol rock from a local quarry gravel truck took it out, but otherwise it has been great. I tell people all the time that it is the most fun vehicle I've ever owned and I make up excuses to go drive it. I've had the top off here in San Antonio since April and have loved it.

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Reliability Opinions/Thoughts 20200111_131559
I love the CJ, YJ, TJ and JK hood sticker.

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
No excuses for the little or big stuff but check out some other auto forums, not many as good as Jeep forums. However most seem no different about complaints, just as usual more complaints than Accolades, forums seem to be the place for this stuff!

Sure I had a real problem with my rear window but except for that our JLU has been great. My 2012 JKU never went back to the dealer in 55K for trouble. Our 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk has been back for a couple of recalls not sure they needed in 47K! Just sayin'...??

I know, should not have said all that, now?

Go jeep!!!

HDinkH

First Name
Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2.0
Hi Guys,
I did some research on peoples opinions about JL reliability and I saw a few threads from 2018 of people initially having some major issues. Now that we are about 2.5 years down the road, I wanted to ask for opinions on how people feel about their JL's.

Right now I'm conflicted between a couple vehicles. I love the idea of the JL, but this an expensive purchase for me and will plan to keep the vehicle long term.

Opinions on cost of ownership or long term reliability?
thanks for anything you have to share.
My first and only Jeep (2018 Turbo) started with electrical issues at 228 miles, EIGHT days after purchase.

ELEVEN times in the shop. THREE times towed to the dealership when it wouldn't start. Radio, electrical, breaking, starter, backup camera problems, you name it, that POS had it. THREE different dealerships with multiple different and useless findings.

Approx THIRTY postings on Jeep's Facebook and Twitter accounts to no avail. "We're sorry your having problems" was the extent of their "help".

THREE different Jeep Wave case managers, NO resolution. FCA did NOT stand behind the vehicle. Arbitration in my state was useless according to all of those owners I spoke with.

I even went to the AutoShow in DC and spoke directly with Jeep and FCA reps. NO help!

My "dream vehicle" that I'd wanted for 20 years was my nightmare vehicle.

Bought late June, unloaded to Carmax early March with barely 6,000 miles. Walked away with a big financial loss and NINE months of nightmares.

Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
My first and only Jeep (2018 Turbo) started with electrical issues at 228 miles, EIGHT days after purchase.

ELEVEN times in the shop. THREE times towed to the dealership when it wouldn't start. Radio, electrical, breaking, starter, backup camera problems, you name it, that POS had it. THREE different dealerships with multiple different and useless findings.

Approx THIRTY postings on Jeep's Facebook and Twitter accounts to no avail. "We're sorry your having problems" was the extent of their "help".

THREE different Jeep Wave case managers, NO resolution. FCA did NOT stand behind the vehicle. Arbitration in my state was useless according to all of those owners I spoke with.

I even went to the AutoShow in DC and spoke directly with Jeep and FCA reps. NO help!

Bought late June, unloaded to Carmax early March with barely 6,000 miles. Walked away with a big financial loss and NINE months of nightmares.
And yet , here you are, on the outside, looking in on this JL forum....time to re- mount , don't give up.

en2coasty

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2002 tj
Hi Guys,
I did some research on peoples opinions about JL reliability and I saw a few threads from 2018 of people initially having some major issues. Now that we are about 2.5 years down the road, I wanted to ask for opinions on how people feel about their JL's.

Right now I'm conflicted between a couple vehicles. I love the idea of the JL, but this an expensive purchase for me and will plan to keep the vehicle long term.

Opinions on cost of ownership or long term reliability?
thanks for anything you have to share.

Jeepdude101

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR black
Occupation
Construction field worker
Vehicle Showcase

I’m sorry about your Jeep trouble. FCA needs to get their company straightened out or they will be loosing a lot of customers when they have some real competition. What’s really sad is how good the JL looks even the sport models look so much more refined than a fully loaded JKUR Recon inside and out. They just need to make it as reliable as it looks.

Ray Pezzi

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
This is a long story, but the condensed version is I currently have a deposit and holding out for a 2020 Tacoma TRD Pro. I really like the TRD Pro and the Rubicon Wrangler. I've got pros and cons for both, but right now the ship may be steering towards the wrangler purely based on back seat interior space, and unique feel factor. The fiance likes the jeep, but she "supports" the Taco. It's a sizable purchase for us and ownership interest is definitely long term, hence trying to get a deeper feel for what current owners think about reliability.
I had a 2013 Toyota Tacoma with less than 40,000 miles that I traded in when I bought my 2019 JLU Sahara a year ago. If reliability was the only consideration, I'd have kept the Tacoma. Heck, I figured it'd probably outlive me at my age and at the rate I was adding miles to the odometer.
I have to tell you, though, the Wrangler is WAY more fun. It's much more enjoyable to drive, much better ride and far peppier than my Tacoma. And it's a heck of a lot more fun to look at, too. I also considered buying a Toyota 4Runner, but I just couldn't get past the looks of the current model. I had a 2000 4Runner Limited that I loved, but they've gotten really weird looking...kind of like a Japanese cartoon drawing of an insect. I've had great reliability from my Toyotas over the years (1 LandCruiser, 2 Tacomas, and 1 4Runner) and I expect I won't get that out of my Jeep. I *DO* get a lot more fun out of the Jeep, though.

BeachNJeep

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubi 4xe, 2020 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
Occupation
Sub-acute hospital administrator
What's really sad is that Jeep and FCA are trying to make the Wrangler more than what it should be: a rugged, simple, go anywhere vehicle. I read on this forum and others how drivers are complaining that the proximity sensor on their doors don't work or how the leather seats are inferior to other brands or how the power top gives them problems or how the display in the dash goes blank.
Come on, now. This is a Jeep! Trying to make a luxury car out of a go anywhere truck (ladder frame and separate body) is a recipe for disaster (look at Range Rover or really, run away from Range Rover...) You have a top that comes off, doors that come off and a windshield that folds. If you want a luxury, go anywhere vehicle without those features, you need to rethink your purchase.
I mean proximity sensors on doors that come off?! Really, the folks who want those options don't take their doors off and don't need this kind of option.
Maybe Jeep can make a version of the Wrangler that doesn't have removable doors, a folding windshield or a removable top that is a luxury version. I'm not talking Grand Cherokee. I'm talking about a vehicle that looks like a Wrangler, but has all the luxury and creature comforts (and the gremlins) that these types of buyers want.
For those purists among us who enjoy taking off the doors, folding the windshield and taking off the top, keep it simple and basic to keep the Jeep as reliable as possible.
No turbo engines, no fancy electronic transmissions, no fancy electronic displays.
My buddy's TJ just goes and goes and goes. Outside of clutches, brakes, a water pump and suspension, it's bullet proof. Everything he's done is maintenance. That's because it's simple. Keep that in mind, Jeep.

Sponsored

Timothy Potocki

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler unlimited Sahara
2019 Sahara unlimited
2600 miles and love it,
Although I’ve had check engine light on twice - both times dealership told me Jeep needed a “software update” also auto shut off battery may be dying already.
Anyone else have this check engine light issue?

Cazadores

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JK, 2017 JKU Sahara, 2020 Firecracker Willys,
Based on my experience only, my 07 JK was the without equivocation the most reliable vehicle I've owned. It's a "X", equivalent to a sport, manual transmission, pretty much no options. Over 130,000 miles and 3 new batteries, a set of shocks, tires and oil changes is pretty much all it's needed. On the 2017 JKU Sahara at 25,000 miles so far the only issue has been the light under the auto shifter illuminating the "D" or "P" at night keeps going out.

The 2018 JL Rubicon, standard trans, so far with only 7k hasn't had any issues. Oil changes and recall work. I sit with fingers crossed.

2020 Willys JL with the 2.0 and 8sp, at about 20 miles had the ESS light come on. We will see what's up with that.

As people have said, every car has issues, and people are irritated by different things. My GF loses her marbles over the lights in the shifter housing, I just don't get overly worked up about it. The '07 always had roof leaks, some people went berserk over the JKs incessant leak issues, I figured if I wanted a watertight car I'd have bought a sedan. No issue with their issues, they bought a car and have expectations, that's fine, I've just been lucky mine have been met so far. If the issues were mechanical, or serious to me, I'd lose it, too.

I love my Jeeps, can't imagine at this point owning anything else really, unless I had a jeep in the driveway to go along with it. They're just too much fun to own. I say buy the jeep, you'll be happier, have more fun, and chances are it will give you thousands of miles and years of good service.

Buy the taco after you have the jeep for a few years, that way you'll have something to tow it to the dealer with.....

Cazadores

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JK, 2017 JKU Sahara, 2020 Firecracker Willys,
2019 Sahara unlimited
2600 miles and love it,
Although I’ve had check engine light on twice - both times dealership told me Jeep needed a “software update” also auto shut off battery may be dying already.
Anyone else have this check engine light issue?

Yeah, 2020 JL 2.0. Dealer said the same. I'll keep you posted. Jeep got the light literally with 20 miles on the odometer. Seems to run fine so....

ObiMatt87

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU, 2018 Buick Enclave Avenir
Occupation
U.S. Air Force Active Duty (Retired), U.S. Air Force GS Civilian (Current)
I love the CJ, YJ, TJ and JK hood sticker.
Appreciate that. The Willys grille is at the top, too. I really like the legacy piece to it. Had gone back and forth over getting the official Mopar one, but the cost was ridiculous (even though I almost did it anyway...). Looked all over and finally found it at pixeldecals.com for a MUCH better price and got it. Extremely high quality 3M vinyl that was easy to apply using the wet method. I have gotten a lot of positive comments on it.

OP
OP

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
To some degree, I agree with you. However, I think it's all relative to price. If you are paying 55-60K for a fully loaded Jeep, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect some reliable electronics.

What's really sad is that Jeep and FCA are trying to make the Wrangler more than what it should be: a rugged, simple, go anywhere vehicle. I read on this forum and others how drivers are complaining that the proximity sensor on their doors don't work or how the leather seats are inferior to other brands or how the power top gives them problems or how the display in the dash goes blank.
Come on, now. This is a Jeep! Trying to make a luxury car out of a go anywhere truck (ladder frame and separate body) is a recipe for disaster (look at Range Rover or really, run away from Range Rover...) You have a top that comes off, doors that come off and a windshield that folds. If you want a luxury, go anywhere vehicle without those features, you need to rethink your purchase.
I mean proximity sensors on doors that come off?! Really, the folks who want those options don't take their doors off and don't need this kind of option.
Maybe Jeep can make a version of the Wrangler that doesn't have removable doors, a folding windshield or a removable top that is a luxury version. I'm not talking Grand Cherokee. I'm talking about a vehicle that looks like a Wrangler, but has all the luxury and creature comforts (and the gremlins) that these types of buyers want.
For those purists among us who enjoy taking off the doors, folding the windshield and taking off the top, keep it simple and basic to keep the Jeep as reliable as possible.
No turbo engines, no fancy electronic transmissions, no fancy electronic displays.
My buddy's TJ just goes and goes and goes. Outside of clutches, brakes, a water pump and suspension, it's bullet proof. Everything he's done is maintenance. That's because it's simple. Keep that in mind, Jeep.
Sponsored