Sponsored

What aftermarket battery are you running?

Ryanfold

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ7, 2019 JL
Vehicle Showcase
Looking to upgrade my battery. Whats the consensus?

Are you replacing both or just one?
Sponsored

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
If you choose not to go with something like the genesis dual battery, others have replaced the main battery with a much larger battery (group 94 I believe) that fills the entire stock tray if you remove a plastic piece that supports the stock battery size.

This still doesn't address the smaller 200cca ESS battery under the fuse box.

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
Optima Yellow Top H6. is what I installed about a month or so ago in our 2018 JLUR Perfect fit cables and all. Have had nothing but great service from Yellow Tops.
This H6 is heavier and has more reserve energy than the older designs.
Great Warranty

OPTIMA_YT_H6_LN3_48_3-4_Right.jpg

Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Whats the benefit of the dual battery?
Extra time off the grid if you camp out of your jeep, without risking a depleted cranking battery. Run fridge and lights for quite a while without starting your vehicle if you manage it well, indefinitely if you have a solar charging setup while stationary. My "ESS" battery (not that i haven't disabled it) is now also a full size high cap battery, the start relay is powered through the 2nd battery, thats what leaves you stranded when the lawnmower battery dies.

OP
OP
Ryanfold

Ryanfold

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ7, 2019 JL
Vehicle Showcase
Optima Yellow Top H6. is what I installed about a month or so ago in our 2018 JLUR Perfect fit cables and all. Have had nothing but great service from Yellow Tops.
Great Warranty

Jeep Wrangler JL What aftermarket battery are you running? OPTIMA_YT_H6_LN3_48_3-4_Right
Awesome, I have a Yellow Top in my CJ7 and it's great. Seemed like a lot of guys where using an Odyssey battery tho.

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Awesome, I have a Yellow Top in my CJ7 and it's great. Seemed like a lot of guys where using an Odyssey battery tho.
Never have had one but I've heard they are great. I've had such good luck with the Optima Yellows in our other jeeps and some company trucks I just have had no reason to change brands.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Never have had one but I've heard they are great. I've had such good luck with the Optima Yellows in our other jeeps and some company trucks I just have had no reason to change brands.
I used to run a yellow top in my TJ but I heard Optimas quality has gone way downhill.

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Great Warranty

Jeep Wrangler JL What aftermarket battery are you running? OPTIMA_YT_H6_LN3_48_3-4_Right
I believe the warranty is a typical 36 month

Sponsored

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I used to run a yellow top in my TJ but I heard Optimas quality has gone way downhill.
I'm running one in My 2013 that is right at 41/2 years old still strong.

Running one in an RV camper that was out of our 2015 JKUR which survived a rollover. It is roughly 31/2 years old.

Now the H6 style in JLUR which is 30days or so.

Run them in 2 Chevy cargo Vans, Dodge diesel and one 2010 F250.

Had no issues. These trucks are also used inside oil refineries and chem plants which are constant start stop with the ignitions.

I personally have had 0 fails with the Yellow Tops. I've read good and bad reviews on nearly every battery on the market. I can only state what my experience with them has been. I have no stock in this game.

I believe the warranty is a typical 36 month
I thought it was longer than that but your right. I've never had to try to claim one but it would be good to have one. Looks like Odyssey has a similar Warranty.

One word of caution is a Duracell large AGM. (purchased at a Batteries Plus store) We had one in one of our other trucks just recently die. It sat for two months due to the virus shutdown and went dead. They said the warranty was no good because the voltage in the battery went below 5 or so volts and voided it. Needles to say that ended that brand for us.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Odyssey's are used in tanks, and can survive a bullet through them. So if i'm taking fire on the way to the "Beer Cave" (coldest beer in town!) i stand a chance to make it home with that 12 pack. I started writing this post as a joke, and then realized, it may not be soon.

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Odyssey's are used in tanks, and can survive a bullet through them. So if i'm taking fire on the way to the "Beer Cave" (coldest beer in town!) i stand a chance to make it home with that 12 pack. I started writing this post as a joke, and then realized, it may not be soon.
Yes but what oil do you use? and how often? and under what temperature range? and and and and.....

Your a sick person LOL

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i'm watching this thread. because when its time to replace the original battery, i would like to get either a optima or odyssey. i've heard both pros and cons on them. my brother just picked up a yellow to optima for his cj7. if anything i'll most likely run a larger interstate batty in mine due to the quick available.

i would do the dual battery set up, but read somewhere on here that there was issues, etc.

as for the group size, is 94 the largest size that will fit. also should the ess battery be replace at the same time.
Sponsored