First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Banker
I was in the same boat. I should've gone that route. Evo Mfg. gutter mount was NOT the way to go. Just my opinion for you.
Sorry to hear about your experience with Evo! I've read a lot of mixed reviews. What didn't you like about your rack/gutter mount?
Sponsored

Big Husky

First Name
Dalton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Photographer
Sorry to hear about your experience with Evo! I've read a lot of mixed reviews. What didn't you like about your rack/gutter mount?
It looks amazing. Very sleek and "part of the Jeep," as some have commented.
But its weight capacity and vulnerability to rust for no reason are the two main reasons.

ShineJL

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl Wrangler
Hey guys. I am confused on what the proper wind deflector setup on a full rack is supposed to be to reduce wind noise and perhaps improve mpg.

I currently have a Gobi rack. Is the deflector supposed to block air flow below the rack, in front of the rack, or both?

The Garvin rack has a deflector in the front of the rack. I’ve seen Gobis have it under the rack (which is what I have now) and I’ve seen Gobis with a deflector in front of the rack.

8727D16A-DEC0-44D1-905D-F2B3365518E1.jpeg

DF78241E-3D9D-4617-B940-3A2D5B29D49C.jpeg

20B6F307-F1B0-444F-A87F-2F28281269CD.jpeg

82418677-347B-4D7F-90E5-6FFB7B9BF199.jpeg

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
Hey guys. I am confused on what the proper wind deflector setup on a full rack is supposed to be to reduce wind noise and perhaps improve mpg.

I currently have a Gobi rack. Is the deflector supposed to block air flow below the rack, in front of the rack, or both?

The Garvin rack has a deflector in the front of the rack. I’ve seen Gobis have it under the rack (which is what I have now) and I’ve seen Gobis with a deflector in front of the rack.

Jeep Wrangler JL The Roof Rack List (JL / JLU Wrangler) 82418677-347B-4D7F-90E5-6FFB7B9BF199

Jeep Wrangler JL The Roof Rack List (JL / JLU Wrangler) 82418677-347B-4D7F-90E5-6FFB7B9BF199

The wind screen is just held on with a couple little clamps, right? I'd say the right spot for it is the place where you have the least wind noise in the cabin. Move it around and figure out what's best for your setup; the stance of your Jeep and what you have on the rack will affect the aerodynamics a bit so I don't think there is one universal solution for everyone.

Side note: whew. 55 pages in an afternoon and I'm no closer to narrowing down which rack I want to put on my dream list. I've been a Gobi fanboi for ages but the Rhino Rack has some serious appeal now. And, I'm also a big fan of JCR and the work they do (had a stubby bumper of theirs on my old JKR) but worry their option doesn't match up to Gobi or RR as far as overall strength. I need to have room for a RTT but also space left over on the rack in front for additional storage (camp table, camp chairs, pot water, etc) so the full length options of Gobi and JCR have appeal. But I also would LOVE to still have the ability to relatively quickly go topless in the incredible Montana summertime when I'm NOT in the backcountry so the RR wins there. So many decisions, so little money.......

ShineJL

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl Wrangler
I have the Gobi. I am having a hard time trying to find a RTT that will sit inside the basket for a low profile look. The Gobi rack is 49” wide. Most RTT are 50”+. If you can get a RTT in the basket, you’ll shave another 2 inches off height.

If I had to do it all over again, I’d probably get the Garvin Rack, which I believe is 54” inch wide. You also get to keep window fold down function.

Sponsored

ShineJL

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl Wrangler
The wind screen is just held on with a couple little clamps, right? I'd say the right spot for it is the place where you have the least wind noise in the cabin. Move it around and figure out what's best for your setup; the stance of your Jeep and what you have on the rack will affect the aerodynamics a bit so I don't think there is one universal solution for everyone.

Side note: whew. 55 pages in an afternoon and I'm no closer to narrowing down which rack I want to put on my dream list. I've been a Gobi fanboi for ages but the Rhino Rack has some serious appeal now. And, I'm also a big fan of JCR and the work they do (had a stubby bumper of theirs on my old JKR) but worry their option doesn't match up to Gobi or RR as far as overall strength. I need to have room for a RTT but also space left over on the rack in front for additional storage (camp table, camp chairs, pot water, etc) so the full length options of Gobi and JCR have appeal. But I also would LOVE to still have the ability to relatively quickly go topless in the incredible Montana summertime when I'm NOT in the backcountry so the RR wins there. So many decisions, so little money.......
You can easily go topless in the Gobi with their quick release system

146C5E6E-E0A3-49DE-8F5E-DCFB5C8E8ACF.png

Thinman

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 Rebel 12 and...... a 2012 Prius
rant time. pissed at frontrunner. decided on them about a month ago and started a chat with customer service for some rando questions.

at the end, asked, "any deals or coupons or codes for me?"
reply "we will have a fathers day sale...."

so I wait to order...a month

here we are....no sale, which despite it still being my choice, may result in no sale...for them, out of spite, because i'm pissed.

/rant

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
I have the Gobi. I am having a hard time trying to find a RTT that will sit inside the basket for a low profile look. The Gobi rack is 49” wide. Most RTT are 50”+. If you can get a RTT in the basket, you’ll shave another 2 inches off height.

If I had to do it all over again, I’d probably get the Garvin Rack, which I believe is 54” inch wide. You also get to keep window fold down function.
Really good point there; what's the point of having the built-in basket if the majority of what you're carrying up top sits above/on top of the side rails?

Which RTT's are you looking at? What features are you gunning for specifically on your RTT?

ShineJL

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl Wrangler
Really good point there; what's the point of having the built-in basket if the majority of what you're carrying up top sits above/on top of the side rails?

Which RTT's are you looking at? What features are you gunning for specifically on your RTT?
I remeasured the Gobi Rack one more time and it seems to be right at 50” wide clearance. About 86” length if you are trying to put a RTT “inside” the basket, which is 2 inches tall. The Garvin rack is 4 inches tall.

I am primarily aiming for the lowest profile setup I can get. I really don’t want it looking like a huge block up there killing MPGs.

I’ve been searching high and low for 2 weeks. I’ve narrowed down to:

1. Tepui “low profile” -2. 50” wide. Slanted profile is the issue. 6.5 inches on one side. 9 inches on the other. If I can get this to sit flat at 6.5” across and get this to slide into the basket, the is the RTT to get. Will probably have to remove the existing 2.5 foam mattress and replace with an inflatable foam sleeping pad like Exped, Therm-a-rest, etc.. If I can make this work, means the tent will be sitting only 4.5 inches above the top of the rack when closed.

2. Yakima Skyrise HD (small). 48 inches wide. Will slide into the Gobi basket no issue. 10” inches tall without the ladder. Not sure if it can be modified for lower profile.

3. Roofnest Sparrow Eye. Hardshell. 50 x 85. It’s right there. If it fits it fits. About 11.5 inches tall at its highest point.

https://roofnest.com/product/sparrow-eye/

4. Tentbox Cargo. UK brand. 50 in x 84.6 inches. Might be confused with similar style tents like Roofnest Falcon, which is longer and won’t sit inside the Gobi basket. Not sure how the struts on the side will work. Might have to remove them and do internal Struts. 6.3 inches tall. Might be the lowest profile setup with Gobi rack if you can make it work.

https://www.tent-box.com/product/tentbox-cargo/

5. Freespirit M49/GS49. I think this RTT has the potential to be modified for the lowest possible profile. It sits 9 inches high as is. It has a 2.75“ mattress. Modifying the bottom base can remove roughly 1”. Changing out to air mattress should allow it to compress lower. I’m thinking this could be around a 5-5.5 inch tall solution when all said and done, but I’d have to see to one in person to be sure. Could be only 3 inches taller than the Gobi rack!!

I also did not look at any RTT’s that prop up like a coffin (ex Tepui Hybox). I just don’t like the idea of sleeping in something that looks like a coffin.

Just keep in mind, with these options, if your RTT is in the basket, this implies the RTT can only open within the basket.

EBE003EE-9931-496B-80E0-1B7128377009.jpeg

43AAC0A4-F4E0-4CDD-BC47-82A4A0C486FD.jpeg

1E19ABB1-1A7C-482F-A994-A18C649E5EF2.jpeg

19537786-FBEE-4418-9A72-23EB2F8698FB.jpeg

82AB1DED-D4FD-49AE-A14A-2D5EED57FBDF.jpeg

9E4CD231-537D-4D69-8269-DC86DC46916B.jpeg

0C8E1B18-5998-4CF7-97F5-986703342864.jpeg

FC2B64B3-3BB9-494E-AA28-11B7BB921CC2.jpeg

B2F8D687-E9B1-4E3D-9E9A-2B24112E4E5C.jpeg

97798BC7-967D-4192-A410-D8F15F150B64.jpeg

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
I remeasured the Gobi Rack one more time and it seems to be right at 50” wide clearance. About 86” length if you are trying to put a RTT “inside” the basket, which is 2 inches tall. The Garvin rack is 4 inches tall.

I am primarily aiming for the lowest profile setup I can get. I really don’t want it looking like a huge block up there killing MPGs.

I’ve been searching high and low for 2 weeks. I’ve narrowed down to:

1. Tepui “low profile” -2. 50” wide. Slanted profile is the issue. 6.5 inches on one side. 9 inches on the other. If I can get this to sit flat at 6.5” across and get this to slide into the basket, the is the RTT to get. Will probably have to remove the existing 2.5 foam mattress and replace with an inflatable foam sleeping pad like Exped, Therm-a-rest, etc.. If I can make this work, means the tent will be sitting only 4.5 inches above the top of the rack when closed.

2. Yakima Skyrise HD (small). 48 inches wide. Will slide into the Gobi basket no issue. 10” inches tall without the ladder. Not sure if it can be modified for lower profile.

3. Roofnest Sparrow Eye. Hardshell. 50 x 85. It’s right there. If it fits it fits. About 11.5 inches tall at its highest point.

https://roofnest.com/product/sparrow-eye/

4. Tentbox Cargo. UK brand. 50 in x 84.6 inches. Might be confused with similar style tents like Roofnest Falcon, which is longer and won’t sit inside the Gobi basket. Not sure how the struts on the side will work. Might have to remove them and do internal Struts. 6.3 inches tall. Might be the lowest profile setup with Gobi rack if you can make it work.

https://www.tent-box.com/product/tentbox-cargo/

5. Freespirit M49/GS49. I think this RTT has the potential to be modified for the lowest possible profile. It sits 9 inches high as is. It has a 2.75“ mattress. Modifying the bottom base can remove roughly 1”. Changing out to air mattress should allow it to compress lower. I’m thinking this could be around a 5-5.5 inch tall solution when all said and done, but I’d have to see to one in person to be sure. Could be only 3 inches taller than the Gobi rack!!

I also did not look at any RTT’s that prop up like a coffin (ex Tepui Hybox). I just don’t like the idea of sleeping in something that looks like a coffin.

Just keep in mind, with these options, if your RTT is in the basket, this implies the RTT can only open within the basket.

Jeep Wrangler JL The Roof Rack List (JL / JLU Wrangler) 97798BC7-967D-4192-A410-D8F15F150B64

Jeep Wrangler JL The Roof Rack List (JL / JLU Wrangler) 97798BC7-967D-4192-A410-D8F15F150B64

I might be missing something here; with the Tepui Lo-Pro, the Yakima SkyRise, and the FreeSpirit options you wouldn't be able to deploy them if they sat recessed in the rack, correct? Opening the tent would make contact with the side rails of the roof rack. In that scenario, only the pop-up tents like the TentBox and Sparrow that you linked would work, right?

Have you thought about rotating the tent so it deploys out the back instead of off the side and then cutting the back rail off the Gobi rack? If so, there are plenty of tents that are 48" or so "long" when closed so rotating for rear deployment would fit them inside the rails and cutting the rear rail off the rack would make for the lowest possible profile while enclosed. I'm sure a local metalworker (if you aren't one yourself) could make a clean cut with some gusseting on the sides to maintain the rail rigidity.

I gotta ask though, why the need for it to be the absolute lowest profile possible? Do you intend to keep the tent on 24/7? If so, why? As much as I've always loved the idea and the look of the Gobi rack, I'm personally leaning more toward the Rhino Rack or JCR options because I'll take the tent off when I'm not heading into the backcountry and both of those are less intrusive than the Gobi when empty (and both can also be completely removed with the top when going topless; I think having a rack above your head with the top removed pretty much defeats the purpose of taking the top off to begin with).

The more I look at the JCR rack, the more I like it. The only thing that worries me is the fact they refuse to give out any published weight ratings with the drill-through bracketry when every other manufacturer has clear rated values. The idea of heading on a trip through the Yukon with a major piece of kit bolted through my roof on the assurance of "it's all good, bro" is a bit worrisome. But then again, I've taken (and will continue to take) worse risks.

Sponsored

ShineJL

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl Wrangler
I might be missing something here; with the Tepui Lo-Pro, the Yakima SkyRise, and the FreeSpirit options you wouldn't be able to deploy them if they sat recessed in the rack, correct? Opening the tent would make contact with the side rails of the roof rack. In that scenario, only the pop-up tents like the TentBox and Sparrow that you linked would work, right?

Have you thought about rotating the tent so it deploys out the back instead of off the side and then cutting the back rail off the Gobi rack? If so, there are plenty of tents that are 48" or so "long" when closed so rotating for rear deployment would fit them inside the rails and cutting the rear rail off the rack would make for the lowest possible profile while enclosed. I'm sure a local metalworker (if you aren't one yourself) could make a clean cut with some gusseting on the sides to maintain the rail rigidity.

I gotta ask though, why the need for it to be the absolute lowest profile possible? Do you intend to keep the tent on 24/7? If so, why? As much as I've always loved the idea and the look of the Gobi rack, I'm personally leaning more toward the Rhino Rack or JCR options because I'll take the tent off when I'm not heading into the backcountry and both of those are less intrusive than the Gobi when empty (and both can also be completely removed with the top when going topless; I think having a rack above your head with the top removed pretty much defeats the purpose of taking the top off to begin with).

The more I look at the JCR rack, the more I like it. The only thing that worries me is the fact they refuse to give out any published weight ratings with the drill-through bracketry when every other manufacturer has clear rated values. The idea of heading on a trip through the Yukon with a major piece of kit bolted through my roof on the assurance of "it's all good, bro" is a bit worrisome. But then again, I've taken (and will continue to take) worse risks.
The Gobi basket is 86 inches long. All the RTTs I mentioned deploy less than 86 inches, so the whole tent functions within the basket.

If I can get a low profile tent, I plan on removing it less often. I figured Id be more inclined to do spontaneous trips if the tent is already on there. There’s also the MPG benefit of low vs non low when its on. I also dont like the look of a huge block on top of the car.

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
The Gobi basket is 86 inches long. All the RTTs I mentioned deploy less than 86 inches, so the whole tent functions within the basket.

If I can get a low profile tent, I plan on removing it less often. I figured Id be more inclined to do spontaneous trips if the tent is already on there. There’s also the MPG benefit of low vs non low when its on. I also dont like the look of a huge block on top of the car.
Ah I gotcha, you'd be rotating them to deploy front to back. That would force you to mount the tent at the very front of the rack though to deploy to the rear (I suppose you could set it up on the back to deploy to the front but setting it up would be a pain as you'd probably need to climb onto your hood to do it) and would also prevent you from using any of the remaining rack space for any additional gear that you don't want to have to take down every time you set up camp. I guess you could remove the ladder that comes with the tent to make them a bit lower profile, and just use the ladder from the Gobi rack to get in and out. I gotta think that would be more of a pain in the middle of the night for taking a leak and such though.

That's an interesting problem you're working a solution for! I'll be interested to see which route you go and what you learn along the way!

Thinman

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 Rebel 12 and...... a 2012 Prius
rant time. pissed at frontrunner. decided on them about a month ago and started a chat with customer service for some rando questions.

at the end, asked, "any deals or coupons or codes for me?"
reply "we will have a fathers day sale...."

so I wait to order...a month

here we are....no sale, which despite it still being my choice, may result in no sale...for them, out of spite, because i'm pissed.

/rant

Rant update. After expressing my dismay to FrontRunner, they reached out with a coupon code which was very nice of them.

I went to place an order and.....lol...wait for it...

just went Out of Stock...eta, mid to late July.

hahaha, my wife started laughing her ass off at me. A rhino/pioneer would actually work for me, but I just don't like the weight distribution towards the rear of the shorter racks.

sighhhhhhh

ShineJL

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl Wrangler
Ah I gotcha, you'd be rotating them to deploy front to back. That would force you to mount the tent at the very front of the rack though to deploy to the rear (I suppose you could set it up on the back to deploy to the front but setting it up would be a pain as you'd probably need to climb onto your hood to do it) and would also prevent you from using any of the remaining rack space for any additional gear that you don't want to have to take down every time you set up camp. I guess you could remove the ladder that comes with the tent to make them a bit lower profile, and just use the ladder from the Gobi rack to get in and out. I gotta think that would be more of a pain in the middle of the night for taking a leak and such though.

That's an interesting problem you're working a solution for! I'll be interested to see which route you go and what you learn along the way!
Getting up and down conveniently will be the challenge. The Gobi ladders are almost useless. I’m thinking about something like the Freespirit ladder setup but I’ll have to figure out the attack plan after I get the tent.

2A943C4B-A35A-4D56-A019-0C2782A81C6C.jpeg

C44DB1E4-6455-488D-966E-C6D9C15AFC79.jpeg

ShineJL

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl Wrangler
Rant update. After expressing my dismay to FrontRunner, they reached out with a coupon code which was very nice of them.

I went to place an order and.....lol...wait for it...

just went Out of Stock...eta, mid to late July.

hahaha, my wife started laughing her ass off at me. A rhino/pioneer would actually work for me, but I just don't like the weight distribution towards the rear of the shorter racks.

sighhhhhhh
Well.. what’s the code? Share the love :).
Sponsored