Sponsored

Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

wranglerguyman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Just got a call back from the service advisor, they only want to repair the hood, not the hinges/doors. :facepalm:

My service advisor was surprised by the response, and told me to dispute it so now I will be doing that.
Sponsored

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
Just got a call back from the service advisor, they only want to repair the hood, not the hinges/doors. :facepalm:

My service advisor was surprised by the response, and told me to dispute it so now I will be doing that.
Yesterday I was washing and waxing my wifes 2018 JLUR and noticed paint bubbling up on bottom edge of both front doors. Its about the size of a quarter on one door and about the size of a nickle on the other. It obviously is creeping and growing under the paint. got about 32K miles on the Jeep and called the body shop and he told me to bring it in to be looked at and said it sounded to be a Warranty issue. I'm not holding my breath but maybe they can take care of it. Ill know in a couple hours.

wranglerguyman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Yesterday I was washing and waxing my wifes 2018 JLUR and noticed paint bubbling up on bottom edge of both front doors. Its about the size of a quarter on one door and about the size of a nickle on the other. It obviously is creeping and growing under the paint. got about 32K miles on the Jeep and called the body shop and he told me to bring it in to be looked at and said it sounded to be a Warranty issue. I'm not holding my breath but maybe they can take care of it. Ill know in a couple hours.
Definitely take it in at that mileage. I hit 42k and they said that it won't get repaired because I am out of basic warranty. But the hood will get repaired because of the corrosion warranty. It makes no sense whatsoever to repair the hood and not the hinges/doors despite it being the same issue.

At 32k, they'll definitely take care of you.

Jay 13

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
mid be also giving my dealer some hell

absolutely ridiculous man!

I’m not even sure what mileage at this stage even has to do with it?! This isn’t a mechanical issue where usage has affected said thing. This is cosmetic...and If X person Drives there vehicle 40,000 km in 6 months did that make the paint bubble/corrode underneath?!?
Unacceptable for them to be giving you guys these kind of responses based on mileage!

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
mid be also giving my dealer some hell

absolutely ridiculous man!

I’m not even sure what mileage at this stage even has to do with it?! This isn’t a mechanical issue where usage has affected said thing. This is cosmetic...and If X person Drives there vehicle 40,000 km in 6 months did that make the paint bubble/corrode underneath?!?
Unacceptable for them to be giving you guys these kind of responses based on mileage!
Read the warranty. Here 3 year 36,000 mile covers it. After that for two years the corrosion warranty covers it IF it corrodes a hole through.

Sponsored

Jay 13

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Read the warranty. Here 3 year 36,000 mile covers it. After that for two years the corrosion warranty covers it IF it corrodes a hole through.
Either way....it’s pretty ridiculous to have something like this based on mileage opposed to solely on years.
I had an Infiniti G35 for 11 years (loved it) about my 7th year in (we’ll past warranty) paint started to chip off the hood and roof of the vehicle. Let’s just say the saying “the squeaky wheel gets the grease” is true.
I complained and told them it’s unacceptable for a vehicle at the price point it was brand new to have that kind of flaw...after a lil back n forth, they painted the whole thing ...and with the help of the dealership that fought for there customers.
Maybe that’s what is lacking here. A good sales person never stops selling/standing behind the vehicle/company. Doing what’s right for the customer.

I see what your saying on the warranty...but I think we can all agree, that this issue is unacceptable and the warranty based on mileage for this kind of issue is ridiculous. Should be solely on yrs for this.

But regardless for those who are being told NO due to mileage ...I’d continue to fight, don’t give up on having them do what’s right.
Just my opinion

Last edited:

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Either way....it’s pretty ridiculous to have something like this based on mileage opposed to solely on years.
I had an Infiniti G35 for 11 years (loved it) about my 7th year in (we’ll past warranty) paint started to chip off the hood and roof of the vehicle. Let’s just say the saying the squeaky wheel gets the grease is true.
I complained and told them it’s unacceptable for a vehicle at the price point it was brand new to have that kind of flaw...after a lil back n forth the painted the whole thing ...and with the help of the dealership that caught for there customers.
Maybe that’s what is lacking here. A good sales person never stops selling/standing behind the vehicle/company. Doing what’s right for the customer.

I see what your saying on the warranty...but I think we can all agree, that this issue is unacceptable and the warranty based on mileage for this kind of issue is ridiculous. Should be solely on yrs for this.

But regardless for those who are being told NO due to mileage ...I’d continue to fight, don’t give up on having them do what’s right.
Just my opinion
The corrosion warranty has an unlimited mileage for the 5 years. How long should they cover it, the lifetime of the car? Never be another car made again. It is the same as steel and rust, there are limitations to all warranties. And if you worry about aluminum corrosion better find a way to deal with it since more and more cars are going to aluminum.

wranglerguyman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Well that virtually makes the body panel corrosion warranty useless no?

I mean, you can't tell me we are fixing the hood because we see the bubbling, but we won't fix the hinges/doors just because.

They're reevaluating the doors again.

This tells me that the corrosion does NOT have to go through the panel.

Of course I'm assuming this is a case by case basis. So ymmv.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Well that virtually makes the body panel corrosion warranty useless no?

I mean, you can't tell me we are fixing the hood because we see the bubbling, but we won't fix the hinges/doors just because.

They're reevaluating the doors again.

This tells me that the corrosion does NOT have to go through the panel.

Of course I'm assuming this is a case by case basis. So ymmv.
FCA has a procedure the dealer needs to go through to get it covered under warranty including picture submission. They have to go by what corporate tells them otherwise it comes out of the dealer's pocket. Manufacturers need to stick by their warranty or then they start getting sued to cover everything. If customers are not happy with it they can try the class action lawsuit path like is happening on Ford F-150 aluminum corrosion. Doesn't seem to have hurt their sales.
Sponsored