First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
2018 Sahara Dec. 17 build, 24K miles. Bought it for myself assuming wife would take over 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk. She drove the JLUS once now it's hers, I still drive the TH!! She lets me drive the JLU on weekends. We do some off road driving maybe 10% of our driving or less. Only change, more aggressive off road tires and simple goodies.

It's great, except rear window defroster. A disaster, finally fixed after 6 tries including complete new rear window then a complete wire harness into HT just 7 months ago!! Except for that all is well this is our 27th jeep since 1965 so we are true Jeep nuts love/hate no matter what! I suppose that's why we are always broke! LOL

Go Jeep!!!
Sponsored

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys listen, I love Jeep as much as you do but we don't need to be hijacked by FCA, we demand improvement better QC, maybe Bronco can bring some of that.

Great examples of Stockholm syndrome in similar threads\\

"My jeep is trouble free, only have some minor electronic issue here and there, broke tab once or twice..."

"hey my dealer filled 6 qts and steering like a tractor, but hey we need smiles per gallon."

"My Jeep burns down itself out of nowhere, should I wait for insurance or just get another Jeep?"

Stlrfan152

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1998 TJ, 1975 Corvette
Hey guys listen, I love Jeep as much as you do but we don't need to be hijacked by FCA, we demand improvement better QC, maybe Bronco can bring some of that.

"My jeep is trouble free, only have some minor electronic issue here and there, broke tab once or twice..."

"hey my dealer filled 6 qts and steering like a tractor, but hey we need smiles per gallon."

"My Jeep burns down itself out of nowhere, should I wait for insurance or just get another Jeep?"
That's what I've been hoping for. Plus if it doesn't at least there is finally another SUV the doors and roof comes off.

Jeepdude101

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR black
Occupation
Construction field worker
Vehicle Showcase

Exactly FCA needs some healthy competition to get them to improve quality and customer service. I love my JLUR but I wish Ford owned Jeep or at least had a % of stock Invested.... Dang I would take GM over FCA:like:

ButWhatDoIKnow

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep Wrangler, 2014 Jeep Cherokee, 2015 Abarth 500C
Hi Guys,
I did some research on peoples opinions about JL reliability and I saw a few threads from 2018 of people initially having some major issues. Now that we are about 2.5 years down the road, I wanted to ask for opinions on how people feel about their JL's.

Right now I'm conflicted between a couple vehicles. I love the idea of the JL, but this an expensive purchase for me and will plan to keep the vehicle long term.

Opinions on cost of ownership or long term reliability?
thanks for anything you have to share.
My son still has my old TJ. 20 years and still running.

Sponsored

LawrenceR

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys Sport
I'm glad this topic came up. I don't plan to "run the Rubicon" or do any heavy rock climbing, but will need my Jeep (especially 4x4) for working on the property, dropping trees, etc,

There have been many topics of maintenance items like rear differential fluid changes, transfer case, manual transmission oil changes, not to mention engine oil and filter changes.

My GMC, quad cab, 2500 HD, 4x4, get's engine oil/filter changes every 3000 miles, the rear diff gets the fluid changed about every 50,000 miles, transmission at 75,000 miles. This may not be according to any schedules, but it works for me, the fluids being changed are not burnt and still have that "honey" like look.

My point is, the Jeep seems to need fluid changes more often than I expected from reading the posts here.

I realize, one cannot change the fluids too often, but why change them before needed?

What has been the real life experience of Jeep owners ?

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
I have been a Jeep driver since before it was cool to have a Jeep. Then I moved to Arizona and my first thought was "where am I going to go 4 wheeling, theres not much here". So I bought a Mustang, 370Z, BMW, Honda Si, every one of them was pretty much full race, because I thought a nice car would be more appropriate for driving around Phx. I couldn't take it. I woke up one morning and took that Rice burner over and traded it off for new Jeep. I love it, I feel good again, it is like going home and my testicles are growing back. I swear I just sit in it and smile...

Pourboire

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Hi Guys,
I did some research on peoples opinions about JL reliability and I saw a few threads from 2018 of people initially having some major issues. Now that we are about 2.5 years down the road, I wanted to ask for opinions on how people feel about their JL's.

Right now I'm conflicted between a couple vehicles. I love the idea of the JL, but this an expensive purchase for me and will plan to keep the vehicle long term.

No issues 2018 2D Sport with manual. Replaced the steering damper when I
noticed a wobble (Flagstaff AZ) RT 40 when I hit a few pot holes. Replaced it
my self ($46.00) and never reimbursed by FCA even though they said they would
cover the cost. In any case, Vett. your dealership and parts department, my dealings with the one in Scottsdale were a total waste of time. For me the Sport was a great choice, I'ave own Rubicons before, but at 76 I trolled back somewhat. Their are issues with any new vehicle, but so far I love the manual and the JL's other attributes. Ordered it with Blind Spot cross traffic warning (Then $589) now almost 1K. It's the best I have experienced.

xtimesofgrace

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
So my first Jeep ever was a 2019 white 2 door wrangler. Almost immediately I had a coolant leak. Took it back to the dealership and they said it was a water pump. They replace the pump and as soon as I pulled in the garage there were drops on the floor. I called them back up and they said it could be residual. I drove to work and there was a puddle on the ground in the parking lot about 30 minutes after I got to work. It was an absolute nightmare and they refused to provide a loaner while I was waiting for mine to be fixed. It took forever to get the part after they finally figured out what it was (metal coolant hose). The first month I owned that Jeep I got to drive it like twice. I traded it in for a 2020 willys wrangler and the passenger side power mirror didn’t work. Dealership couldn’t figure it out so one day I pulled the mirror off and found out it was the wiring harness wasn’t plugged in. Now my 7” I connect stereo screen keeps flickering while I’m driving down the road. I’ve had two brand new wranglers in the past year and both have had issues.

Pourboire

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
So my first Jeep ever was a 2019 white 2 door wrangler. Almost immediately I had a coolant leak. Took it back to the dealership and they said it was a water pump. They replace the pump and as soon as I pulled in the garage there were drops on the floor. I called them back up and they said it could be residual. I drove to work and there was a puddle on the ground in the parking lot about 30 minutes after I got to work. It was an absolute nightmare and they refused to provide a loaner while I was waiting for mine to be fixed. It took forever to get the part after they finally figured out what it was (metal coolant hose). The first month I owned that Jeep I got to drive it like twice. I traded it in for a 2020 willys wrangler and the passenger side power mirror didn’t work. Dealership couldn’t figure it out so one day I pulled the mirror off and found out it was the wiring harness wasn’t plugged in. Now my 7” I connect stereo screen keeps flickering while I’m driving down the road. I’ve had two brand new wranglers in the past year and both have had issues.
Boy what a nightmare, I'm sorry to hear about your experiences. With respect to the dealership service, I wonder if they are even mechanics. I suspect if their secretaries aren't busy, they fill in for their mechanics. But then I realized, that they are the best of the choices.

Sponsored

Jinnjue

First Name
Jinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler jl 2 door Mojito Green
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Guys,

I have a 2018 Jeep JL 2 door wrangler in mojito green. And I haven’t had any issues until today. Started my Jeep up to leave for work and noticed a serious amount of blue/grey exhaust filling up the garage I have 20300 miles on it and it’s due for an oil change so I called the dealership about it and my appointment is on Friday. 2 be continued...I’ll keep you posted

Jeepdude101

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR black
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Man you need a better dealership that’s pitiful I hope mine deals with my JL problem better than that.

xtimesofgrace

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Man you need a better dealership that’s pitiful I hope mine deals with my JL problem better than that.
Oh this was two different dealerships! The white Jeep was bought from one dealership and that’s the place I took it back to to get the work done. The 2020 wrangler was from a totally different dealership and they couldn’t figure out that the wire harness was unplugged from the mirror. ‍:headbang:

Jeepdude101

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR black
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Oh this was two different dealerships! The white Jeep was bought from one dealership and that’s the place I took it back to to get the work done. The 2020 wrangler was from a totally different dealership and they couldn’t figure out that the wire harness was unplugged from the mirror. ‍♂
Even worse LOL.

ObiMatt87

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU, 2018 Buick Enclave Avenir
Occupation
U.S. Air Force Active Duty (Retired), U.S. Air Force GS Civilian (Current)
Well, I may be jinxing myself, but my 2018 JLU Sahara with a little over 19K miles has been fantastic. It was one of the early ones, built in June 2018. I had the steering recall done, and had to replace my windshield after a big 'ol rock from a local quarry gravel truck took it out, but otherwise it has been great. I tell people all the time that it is the most fun vehicle I've ever owned and I make up excuses to go drive it. I've had the top off here in San Antonio since April and have loved it.

IMG_20200531_162138 Edit.jpg
Sponsored