Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
It's alright guys. I realize some people look at freedom differently. I have no problems with that.
Jordy, I hope it's a lack of appreciation for the patent system of laws that has you expressing the issues of reduced liberties on the part of those who want to copy.

As a consumer, sure, I'd love to get a comparable knockoff for less money: and that's what competition brings. But without the patent system, companies would not be incentivize to innovate, and spend millions on R&D, if some potential pot of gold was not waiting at the end of such efforts.

When an entity patents something, they explain publicly how it was done. This allows others to build upon their designs and make even better products, that if distinguishable enough from the original, can themselves be patented on that which makes the product different/better. In exchange for disclosure the patent recipient is given exclusive rights for a period of time, which invariable get stolen anyway and cost tons of money to get thieves to ceast and desist from continuing to copy.

Look up any patent and you're bound to see a history of patented items upon which the patent was based. And in theory, the consumer is more benefitted by innovation than the higher costs associated from buying from someone who has the monopoly.

You might feel differently if you invented something really cool, and copycats ate at your profit: maybe not.

And sometimes companies invent something so important (usually saves lives) that they publicly disclose they will not enforce the patent, so others can produce the product to save their customer's lives.

Mercedes Benz has, for example, done that.

JP'sJP

First Name
Jordy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl 2dr Willy's
Hey man, that was a little bass akwards. I never said f the patent. Buy whatever you want. I'm a free American. I own Jeep's.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Hey man, that was a little bass akwards. I never said f the patent. Buy whatever you want. I'm a free American. I own Jeep's.
Jordy, sometimes buying whatever you want does screw over the patent holders. If you mean buy whatever you want that doesn't violate such protections, I think we're all good with that.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Thats China for you. Too bad they don't care much about International laws (in matter a fact the flaunt it). These are direct knockoff but no one can do anything about it because these car are protected in China. I know that some people said that they have better gears or power (sorry not used to car lingo) but there are regulations on purpose. China stole the design (yes I said stole - the years of R&D were skipped because they just copy and modify others and then they boost it with items that specifics while it looks good - might not be safe). The only consolation is that most of these knockoffs does not meet the safety standard of many country so China cannot just export them (not that they need to as China market is big enough). Bribery is rampant just to get things or certification approved and a lot of these things does not really go through quality check.

There are no such things as "recall" in China way of doing business. If your car malfunction due to poor production method or the new features that were not supposed to be added - or even if you die - you cannot sue the car maker. Looks nice on the outside but really a lot of China knockoff are just crap!
Yes, in short, Western laws generally protect the consumers, while Chinese laws protect the businesses -- specifically Chinese businesses.

Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
What constitutes the best??? I guarantee that you would not be so arrogant if you lose anything that you own or someone stole from you. By the way, best is NOT everything. You can spend your exorbitant amount money buying something that you purported to be the best, features that you would not be using only to find out that these features are not necessary because you yourself are too dumb or have insufficient knowledge to use it.

You would be wiser if you are looking out for something that SUITS you - and be cognizant (that means - being AWARE just in case you don't know that word - I am saving you from googling the word) of the fact that you might be better off getting something that you will use rather than something that you perceived (again - in this case that means "the value you put upon") as the best.

I thought that Jeep owners are usually happy, motivated, hands on, adventurous, LIFE IS GOOD kind of people. Why are you driving a Jeep? Because judging by your name calling, your arrogance and you incapability to listen to and all that - I would find it hard to think that you are actually a Jeep user.
Ken @JP'sJP just doesn’t get it.

He doesn’t get or care that the cool products he seeks to buy for less from thieves/copycats wouldn’t exist without the infrastructure to protect stolen product innovation and provide limited monopolistic powers to inventors in exchange for making their technique public.

@JP’sJP I wonder if you’re just another poster thinking that your selfishness is really others denying you freedom. Invent something profitable and have it stolen. Or live a life where you make everything you use yourself, especially medicines: and no not a fan of big pharma: just the life saving medicines they produce because of the potential $ they stand to make.

Without the income stream of inventions protected via patents there is no Incentive for their being made. Virtually everything you’ve bought came originally and only because patents incentivized it’s creation.

Professors of freedom first: I hear your chant. I don't like my rights limited either through these little things we call laws. But when those laws are good, the restrictions they impose on the individual are more than offset by the betterment of society.

Denying you the right to yell "fire" in a crowded movie theater when there is none, despite "free speech" is one such example, patents are another.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
honestly the mahrinda looks more like a jeep than the JL does lol. That's fine though. I still love my JL.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Nope. They argued that the rights only apply outside of the US. This whole thing stinks. And the general consensus here is ridiculous. Mahindra has owned the license to build CJs since the 50s. Well before Jeeps were made by Puegot-Fiat-Chrysler, or FCA, or Cerberus Chrysler, or Daimler Chrysler, or Chrysler, AMC, Kaiser.... By now I hope you see my point. Mahindra should have been allowed to sell these in the US in my opinion. This wasn't patent theft.

Gillytickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys 2.0 Turbo, 2" MOPAR lift
Nope. They argued that the rights only apply outside of the US. This whole thing stinks. And the general consensus here is ridiculous. Mahindra has owned the license to build CJs since the 50s. Well before Jeeps were made by Puegot-Fiat-Chrysler, or FCA, or Cerberus Chrysler, or Daimler Chrysler, or Chrysler, AMC, Kaiser.... By now I hope you see my point. Mahindra should have been allowed to sell these in the US in my opinion. This wasn't patent theft.
That's correct, they own the rights. Should have the right to be sold here as well but of course FCA will look for any technicalities.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I built out my dream Roxor! To a whopping price of $34K!

Jeep Wrangler JL Court finds Mahindra Roxor is a copy of the Jeep 1111.JPG

Then my gf whispered behind me, it’s either that or the Jeep.

Oh well.

Last edited:

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Dusty - I think this situation is like reverse engineering which is really a grey ares in patents. However, with much respect - Mahindra Roxor looks like a knockoff Jeep. They copied Jeep's design - as their Roxor clearly have a Jeep look. Toyota came up with FJ Cruiser as a direct competition to Jeep as off the road vehicle -while Nissan answer to Jeep is Xterra. All these vehicle do not look like Jeep. If someone sees a Roxor and immediately THINK of Jeep - it most probably means that it is a breach of design copyright. Correct me if I am wrong - but I think that we are in the fourth generation of Jeep - and within all these generations - Jeep still look more or less the same - you know that unique iconic Jeep look that no other vehicle have. Until Mahindra Roxor.

Think about this. I love my Jeep. I think it is pretty cool. I love the design and the feelings associated with owning a Jeep. I do a Jeep wave sometimes when I see another fellow Jeep or responding to the waving. Jeep is super customize able, whether they are adding in components that allows the Jeep to drive through water, or just some decals that make pretend that their Jeep is a Jurassic Park jeep - which in this matter is my case :like: along with the Jeep culture that makes a Jeep valuable. It is a pretty unique and nifty vehicle. A lot of people would love to own a Jeep or the idea behind it but are unable to - ie they have big families, budget constraint, etc. Jeep is not cheap. Not everyone can own a Jeep and have a luxury that Jeep can offer such an open top or removable doors.

Comes in Roxor - where the price are way below half of what a regular Jeep would cost, a copycat Jeep and all of a sudden the street will be filled with copycat Jeep Roxor. Gone are all the exclusivity of owning a Jeep, or 60 years of Jeep cultures because now a lot of people that own these copycat Jeeps are not the same as the people that owned (or wanted to own) Jeep in the first place. Jeep design will no longer be exclusive, worst, people might not want to buy a Jeep anymore because it looks like a Roxor knockoff. This will lead to the possibility of the fading away of Jeep brand.

I went to Mahindra website. It is clear that almost all the vehicle that they are offering are knockoff of popular design from many brands. They are like Ikea of designs. They can do that in India - but it is only right that they are not allowed to do that in United States.

I would not have any problem had Mahindra come up with a more original design such as Toyota FJ Cruiser or Nissan Xterra. As for now I am thankful that there are no copycat Jeeps lookalike in this country. :like: Cheers.
You are missing the main point. Yes it is a Jeep. Because Mahindra was officially licensed by Willys in the 50s to produce Jeeps. They didn't reverse engineer anything, they bought the plans.
Sponsored