Flat towing ignition mode?

pvancil

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Just bought a 2020 Wrangler to flat tow. It has a keyless ignition, auto transmission with 4wheel drive, no steering wheel lock, and keyless ignition. To prep for towing, I complete the procedure in the manual to put the transmission and transfer case into neutral. When I am done, the Ignition is left in the ACC mode. I cannot get a straight answer from Jeep on can I switch to OFF or do I have to leave in ACC to tow. Does anyone have the correct answer?
Sponsored

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
Off, lock the doors, hit the road.

jeepixel

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WBGO View, 2019 2d Wrangler Rubicon
Just bought a 2020 Wrangler to flat tow. It has a keyless ignition, auto transmission with 4wheel drive, no steering wheel lock, and keyless ignition. To prep for towing, I complete the procedure in the manual to put the transmission and transfer case into neutral. When I am done, the Ignition is left in the ACC mode. I cannot get a straight answer from Jeep on can I switch to OFF or do I have to leave in ACC to tow. Does anyone have the correct answer?
Check your manual again, maybe things have changed. Mine is a 2019 automatic, but per my manual the transmission is supposed to be in Park, not Neutral. Transfer in Neutral, which is why it's ok the transmission is in Park as it's not engaged. And off we go, but I still like to see the wheels roll free a few feet before revving it up. I know someone who dragged their toad down to the rims once, which is why I double check. . .

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
jeepixel is correct. Trans in park, transfer case in neutral.

Sponsored

OP
OP

pvancil

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Check your manual again, maybe things have changed. Mine is a 2019 automatic, but per my manual the transmission is supposed to be in Park, not Neutral. Transfer in Neutral, which is why it's ok the transmission is in Park as it's not engaged. And off we go, but I still like to see the wheels roll free a few feet before revving it up. I know someone who dragged their toad down to the rims once, which is why I double check. . .

OP
OP

pvancil

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, the transmission is in park when you are done.

As you go through the procedure they have you put the transmission and transfer case in neutral. Then start the engine, put the transmission into drive and verify that there is no movement. Once this is done, they have you shut the engine off and put the transmission into park. Since the engine was shut off when the transmission was in neutral, the ignition was left in ACC mode.

I figured it was safe to switch to OFF, but I wasn’t sure. I looked a a Ford before I bought my Jeep. They had a similar procedure to prep for flat towing. The had you leave the ignition in ACC. Something to do with cooling the transmission.

When I call the Jeep 800 number for clarification, they said to check with my service department. When I check with my service department, they said to call the 800 number.

I figured the members here would have the real answer and you came through. Thanks for the help.

HOOKEM93

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport Altitude
Vehicle Showcase
So the only reason you would need to leave ignition in ACC mode while flat towing is if you needed to power a supplemental braking system. Or you could just use the rear cargo area 12V outlet which doesn't need ACC mode to power. Does this sound right?

jeepixel

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WBGO View, 2019 2d Wrangler Rubicon
So the only reason you would need to leave ignition in ACC mode while flat towing is if you needed to power a supplemental braking system. Or you could just use the rear cargo area 12V outlet which doesn't need ACC mode to power. Does this sound right?
You don't want to leave the Jeep / toad in ACC mode, it's not necessary and would just drain the Jeep battery. To power a supplemental braking system, folks on this forum have done as you noted - a long cord to the rear "always hot" 12v outlet and some just added an "always hot" 12v outlet under the dash. I added the outlet under the dash and have read many others have done similar setups. I like the simplicity and convenience of locating it there, but it's personal preference. Also add a battery tender/charger under the Jeep's hood to keep that battery topped off while towing; it draws it's power from the towing vehicle umbilical connection. I used RVI parts as I have an RVI Brake, but other options / brands work, too.

HOOKEM93

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport Altitude
Vehicle Showcase
You don't want to leave the Jeep / toad in ACC mode, it's not necessary and would just drain the Jeep battery. To power a supplemental braking system, folks on this forum have done as you noted - a long cord to the rear "always hot" 12v outlet and some just added an "always hot" 12v outlet under the dash. I added the outlet under the dash and have read many others have done similar setups. I like the simplicity and convenience of locating it there, but it's personal preference. Also add a battery tender/charger under the Jeep's hood to keep that battery topped off while towing; it draws it's power from the towing vehicle umbilical connection. I used RVI parts as I have an RVI Brake, but other options / brands work, too.
ok, so i'll plan to keep the ignition OFF and my Patriot II plugged into the "always hot" 12V plug. Still this might cause the battery to drain so I will install this maintainer kit to keep the battery topped off.

Sponsored

TTraut

First Name
Tory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon, 2015 Audi S3,
Can someone please reiterate how to keep a JLU in ACC mode when flat towing? Mine keeps timing out after 20-30 minutes, thus turning off 12v power to the RVI brake.

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Can someone please reiterate how to keep a JLU in ACC mode when flat towing? Mine keeps timing out after 20-30 minutes, thus turning off 12v power to the RVI brake.
You can't.

You need something that's "hot" all the time. Should be a receptacle in the cargo area.

In my JK I rewired one of the dash recepticles so it was hot whenever I was connected to the motorhome. Others have added an inexpensive additional 12v receptacle just for that purpose.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@TTraut

No way to do that with a JL...

While there are other sources of constant on 12v in a JL, you will find this way works well... used by many JL owner's. Installing of the power port is easy easy...

@CoolTech is a forum sponsor..

https://www.cooltechllc.com/2018-jeep-wrangler-jl/111-jl-powerport-kit.html
Jeep Wrangler JL Flat towing ignition mode? Capture.JPG

TJDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Rubicon
Occupation
Motorized toy collector
I also use an RVi brake. I use RVi's 12v battery direct outlet. Ran it to just under dash by the driver's door. Easy to reach from outside while setting up the brake. Works as good in the new Jeep as it did in the JK.

TTraut

First Name
Tory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon, 2015 Audi S3,
I also use an RVi brake. I use RVi's 12v battery direct outlet. Ran it to just under dash by the driver's door. Easy to reach from outside while setting up the brake. Works as good in the new Jeep as it did in the JK.
Thank you. Question about your RVi. Does the hub need to be near the tablet to pair? I tried to mount mine in the back of the RV coach in a cabinet with 12v, but pairing is troublesome. Thoughts?
Sponsored