Sponsored

295/70-17 on stock Sport

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
I have a stock suspension Sport with Moab rims. I’m considering 295/70-17 tires which work out to a bit over 33”.

From what I’ve read here I think the rim width will be fine for mounting.

I couldn’t find if rubbing will be a problem.

Anybody here know if rim width or rubbing will be a major problem for me if I go with that size for tires? I don’t crawl or do heavy off roading, I just do fire trails, poorly maintained unpaved roads, and the beach. I do have a Moab takeoff suspension which I will be adding.

Thanks.
Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I have a stock suspension Sport with Moab rims. I’m considering 295/70-17 tires which work out to a bit over 33”.

From what I’ve read here I think the rim width will be fine for mounting.

I couldn’t find if rubbing will be a problem.

Anybody here know if rim width or rubbing will be a major problem for me if I go with that size for tires? I don’t crawl or do heavy off roading, I just do fire trails, poorly maintained unpaved roads, and the beach. I do have a Moab takeoff suspension which I will be adding.

Thanks.
If you are mounting on stock wheels, yes your inner tire will rub on the lower control arms at full clock.

wheel well clearance should be fine.

OP
OP

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you are mounting on stock wheels, yes your inner tire will rub on the lower control arms at full clock.

wheel well clearance should be fine.
Thank you, helpful. Do you know if 285/70s would rub too?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
You could run wheel spacers to gain that inner clearance, pretty common solution for running taller/wider tires on stock wheel sets.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Thank you, helpful. Do you know if 285/70s would rub too?
285/70/17? Should be fine as those are essentially the same size as a Rubicon take-off. Plenty of people mounted those on their Sport/Sahara without issues.

However my 285/75/18 rubs slightly on my (Sahara) control arms, not enough to be an issue, usually when I feel the rub, I just let off the steering wheel a bit and it’s fine.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
285/70/17? Should be fine as those are essentially the same size as a Rubicon take-off. Plenty of people mounted those on their Sport/Sahara without issues.

However my 285/75/18 rubs slightly on my (Sahara) control arms, not enough to be an issue, usually when I feel the rub, I just let off the steering wheel a bit and it’s fine.
Yes, I meant 17” wheels. Thanks. I guess those extra 10mm make a big enough difference between rubbing at full lock and not. Do you think the 295s would be a mild enough rub where I could just let off the steering if at full lock and be ok like you do with your 18s on your Sahara?

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Yes, I meant 17” wheels. Thanks. I guess those extra 10mm make a big enough difference between rubbing at full lock and not. Do you think the 295s would be a mild enough rub where I could just let off the steering if at full lock and be ok like you do with your 18s on your Sahara?
Sure, you can probably also just adjust the steering stop to prevent it completely. You sacrifice a bit of turning radius, but I think you won't even notice it.

(Edit) After posting you this video, I just went ahead and adjusted the steering stop on mine as well, put a washer behind the bolt, and done in about 10 minutes. Went out for a test drive and it’s perfect! No more rubbing!

Last edited:
OP
OP

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sure, you can probably also just adjust the steering stop to prevent it completely. You sacrifice a bit of turning radius, but I think you won't even notice it.

(Edit) After posting you this video, I just went ahead and adjusted the steering stop on mine as well, put a washer behind the bolt, and done in about 10 minutes. Went out for a test drive and it’s perfect! No more rubbing!
Awesome, thanks!

OP
OP

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You could run wheel spacers to gain that inner clearance, pretty common solution for running taller/wider tires on stock wheel sets.
Thanks, I’m trying to avoid them sticking out too far past the fenders.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Sponsored

OP
OP

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, I'm not a fan of poking tires either :( FWIW here's my JL before I added a Rubicon suspension swap running 295/70/17s on 8.5 +10 offset. And a good fitment calculator here that shows those tires on your stock wheels and what I'm running
https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?wh...-17X8.5ET10&fcl=2in&wcl=1.25in&scl=2in&sr=0in

Jeep Wrangler JL 295/70-17 on stock Sport 100_4025.JPG

That is very helpful thank you so much! So with the stock Moab wheel offset the 295s should line up pretty closely with the outer edge of the fenders. Do you have a picture from the front straight on?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
That is very helpful thank you so much! So with the stock Moab wheel offset the 295s should line up pretty closely with the outer edge of the fenders. Do you have a picture from the front straight on?
Here you go, and pasting from that link above my set~
Tire will stick out 1 ¹¹⁄₃₂" farther. Rim will stick out 1 ⁷⁄₈" farther. Make sure that you have enough room under the fender. If not, consider narrower tires or higher offset
Jeep Wrangler JL 295/70-17 on stock Sport 100_4026.JPG

OP
OP

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here you go, and pasting from that link above my set~
Tire will stick out 1 ¹¹⁄₃₂" farther. Rim will stick out 1 ⁷⁄₈" farther. Make sure that you have enough room under the fender. If not, consider narrower tires or higher offset
Jeep Wrangler JL 295/70-17 on stock Sport 100_4026.JPG
Thank you. I’m having trouble interpreting that site with respect to how far out they’ll stick. Since I’m using stock wheels my numbers will be less than what you pasted above, correct?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thank you. I’m having trouble interpreting that site with respect to how far out they’ll stick. Since I’m using stock wheels my numbers will be less than what you pasted above, correct?
In that above link the left column is your wheels w/ the 295/70/17s mounted, the right side is my set w/ my 8.5 +10 offset wheels.
Check this link, this will be as you are now w/ stock tires and your wheels (and your new Moab wheels are also the same size/offset as your stock set) in the left column, and what 295/70/17s will fit w/ your stock wheels in the right side. This will give you a good idea of what your new set will look like vs your current stock setup. Keep in mind that fender outline in that link isn't Jeep specific so don't go by that as far as where your actual fender will line up :)
https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?wh...-17X7.5ET44&wcl=1.25in&fcl=2in&scl=2in&sr=0in

OP
OP

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In that above link the left column is your wheels w/ the 295/70/17s mounted, the right side is my set w/ my 8.5 +10 offset wheels.
Check this link, this will be as you are now w/ stock tires and your wheels (and your new Moab wheels are also the same size/offset as your stock set) in the left column, and what 295/70/17s will fit w/ your stock wheels in the right side. This will give you a good idea of what your new set will look like vs your current stock setup. Keep in mind that fender outline in that link isn't Jeep specific so don't go by that as far as where your actual fender will line up :)
https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?wh...-17X7.5ET44&wcl=1.25in&fcl=2in&scl=2in&sr=0in
Thanks so much! Looks like “wheel well clearance” is the line I want to see how much the tires will stick out from the sides. Looks like with the bigger tires on the stock rims they will pretty much line up with the edge of the fenders. Am I reading that correctly?

Edit: actually I think that’s wrong. I need to look at the overall diameter with is 23mm more per side according to that (20mm by my math though: 255 vs 295 /2). 2.3 cm (<1”)I think will fit perfectly as far as not sticking out too far.
Sponsored

Last edited: