Sponsored

Rear axle shifted to Driver side

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I thought my 3rd JLUR would be trouble free, and so far we have been lucky. However I recently added new wheels and tires on my Jeep with no lift or other changes and you can now see that the Rear Axle is shifted about 3/4" to the driver side. It looks like If I actually added a Mopar Lift it would center.
I never noticed this before as the factory wheels and tires were tucked under the fenders and you could not tell. I started looking now because of how much it was rubbing on just the driver side when flexed. Now after looking I am not sure how missed it before.
The attached pictures are from the same angle, and same distance from the Jeep. It is very noticeable, and not sure what could cause this on a Jeep that is not lifted etc. The front is dead center.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear axle shifted to Driver side 8CA8411B-0C74-4D14-80AC-108D01482BE3

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear axle shifted to Driver side 2F09489B-F397-4D36-B18A-20DB1883560D

D58C9204-D3A8-4393-8D48-950773D69514.jpeg

5043D835-5F5F-4066-AEBA-13C7D28DC504.jpeg

37638114-7609-4687-B3BF-04077E4476F5.jpeg

C7856489-48B2-46AB-A129-BA6130676391.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

chacomaya

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2013 VW Golf R, 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT, 2015 KTM 500EXC
Vehicle Showcase
Do all of the new wheels have the same offset? Perhaps they mistakenly sold you one with a different offset than the others...? I'm gonna go have a look at mine now!

OP
OP
Cypher

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Do all of the new wheels have the same offset? Perhaps they mistakenly sold you one with a different offset than the others...? I'm gonna go have a look at mine now!
Yes, they are all same offset. It is only made in one offset. Also I measured to the brake rotor as well since I wanted to rule out the wheels.
They just make it easier to see.
I added a few new pictures as well that were taken with the phone at the front door hinge and rear door hinge to ensure it was 100% equal distance and angle etc. for the photos.

chacomaya

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2013 VW Golf R, 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT, 2015 KTM 500EXC
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, they are all same offset. It is only made in one offset. Also I measured to the brake rotor as well since I wanted to rule out the wheels.
They just make it easier to see.
I added a few new pictures as well that were taken with the phone at the front door hinge and rear door hinge to ensure it was 100% equal distance and angle etc. for the photos.
Very strange. BTW, I did look at mine and it is symmetrical.

Karnak

First Name
Yan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL 3.6 Sport S - 2 door
Occupation
government
Vehicle Showcase
Camera perspective? I'd say take it to an alignment shop, they'll know right away with the laser alignment machine.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Cypher

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Camera perspective? I'd say take it to an alignment shop, they'll know right away with the laser alignment machine.
Not camera angle, I have measured from multiple hard points to the tire, to the inside wheel lip, to the front of the brake rotor and the inside of the brake rotor. It is shifted to the driver side for sure. I did a quick check and nothing appears bent, and no obvious mounts broken. But will need to spend some time later to check it better.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Not camera angle, I have measured from multiple hard points to the tire, to the inside wheel lip, to the front of the brake rotor and the inside of the brake rotor. It is shifted to the driver side for sure. I did a quick check and nothing appears bent, and no obvious mounts broken. But will need to spend some time later to check it better.
Is the Jeep also level from side to side, measure from the same relative points from both sides to the ground.

Are your springs bowing? Or seated properly?

Have you also inspected the rear track bar? I mean a rear axle shift to the driver side normally results in the rear track bar being too long, relatively to suspension height. Or the springs are too short, relative to the rear track bar. Maybe you have too much weight in the back? What are your rear spring numbers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cypher

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Is the Jeep also level from side to side, measure from the same relative points from both sides to the ground.

Are your springs bowing? Or seated properly?

Have you also inspected the rear track bar? I mean a rear axle shift to the driver side normally results in the rear track bar being too long, relatively to suspension height. Or the springs are too short, relative to the rear track bar. Maybe you have too much weight in the back? What are your rear spring numbers.
This is 100% factory except for the wheels and tires. To take them out of the mix I measured to the brake rotors.
As far as I can see everything looks ok. No bowing etc. the rear passenger side does sag a little, but nothing major. More pronounced with a full tank of gas.
Springs are all seated fine. As far as spring numbers, I have no idea. It is the factory Rubicon springs on there. No tags.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
This is 100% factory except for the wheels and tires. To take them out of the mix I measured to the brake rotors.
As far as I can see everything looks ok. No bowing etc. the rear passenger side does sag a little, but nothing major. More pronounced with a full tank of gas.
Springs are all seated fine. As far as spring numbers, I have no idea. It is the factory Rubicon springs on there. No tags.
Factory parts could also be out of spec. If you got too much weight in the back, or if the rear coils are too short, that could push the rear axle out on the driver side.

Jeepileptic

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2016 Fisher-Price Jeep Frozen Edition
This is exactly how mine was until adding a 2” lift. Now the rear is centered up nicely. Not sure why they designed the length of the factory track bar this way, but it does not seem to affect anything.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Cypher

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
This is exactly how mine was until adding a 2” lift. Now the rear is centered up nicely. Not sure why they designed the length of the factory track bar this way, but it does not seem to affect anything.
That is actually what I was thinking may be happening here. I have read quite a few posts where people with newer Rubicons have the axle perfectly centered after the Mopar 2" lift. I wonder if the rear now factors in that people will lift so it is centered once done? Mine is a 2020, and I know a few others with 2020s that were also good after a lift. On prior year JLs it was well documented that the rear axle shifted quite a bit with the Mopar lift and needed correction.

OP
OP
Cypher

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Factory parts could also be out of spec. If you got too much weight in the back, or if the rear coils are too short, that could push the rear axle out on the driver side.
Just to mess around I decided to throw a jack under the rear and lift until the axle is centered. When I jack it up to where both tires are off the ground and springs are at full extension it is much closer to centered. My guess is if I disconnected the shocks and sway bar links to mirror a Mopar lift height it would be centered.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
That is actually what I was thinking may be happening here. I have read quite a few posts where people with newer Rubicons have the axle perfectly centered after the Mopar 2" lift. I wonder if the rear now factors in that people will lift so it is centered once done? Mine is a 2020, and I know a few others with 2020s that were also good after a lift. On prior year JLs it was well documented that the rear axle shifted quite a bit with the Mopar lift and needed correction.
Interesting point, maybe there was a production change in 2020 models, this would either mean springs or track bar is different length.

But doesn’t explain why the front axle is not affected.

dsievert66

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Technology and Analytics
Interesting point, maybe there was a production change in 2020 models, this would either mean springs or track bar is different length.

But doesn’t explain why the front axle is not affected.
I just put on a 2" dynatrac endurosport lift and noticed that both front and rear axles shifted towards Driver. I was not expecting that for the rear. Its a 2019 Rubicon. Out 3/4 in the back and 1" in the front. Ordered adjustable trackbars but now I'm not sure they will work for the rear.

This was the first time I installed a lift and its got me thinking I did something wrong.

Jacoma

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
I thought my 3rd JLUR would be trouble free, and so far we have been lucky. However I recently added new wheels and tires on my Jeep with no lift or other changes and you can now see that the Rear Axle is shifted about 3/4" to the driver side. It looks like If I actually added a Mopar Lift it would center.
I never noticed this before as the factory wheels and tires were tucked under the fenders and you could not tell. I started looking now because of how much it was rubbing on just the driver side when flexed. Now after looking I am not sure how missed it before.
The attached pictures are from the same angle, and same distance from the Jeep. It is very noticeable, and not sure what could cause this on a Jeep that is not lifted etc. The front is dead center.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear axle shifted to Driver side C7856489-48B2-46AB-A129-BA6130676391

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear axle shifted to Driver side C7856489-48B2-46AB-A129-BA6130676391

Hi
I have same issue on my 2016 wrangler sahara. Few month ago I have installed 1.5" spacers, I have removed the wheels and checked every single arm bar if bent. All look normal
Can someone provide any feedbacks?
Thanks you
Sponsored