Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
I used to carry a large pistol, Glock 21, a 1911, then a Glock 23, They are heavy and a pain to carry and conceal. Always had to be aware of the type of clothes I was wearing and many different holster. There were often times that I would not carry because of the hassles and would just rely on situational awareness.

Then this gun came out SIG Sauer P365. The P365 with the extended mag and a light can easily be pocket carried while wearing just about anything. So, that's what I did. Now I carry a P365 loaded with +P+ 9mm ammo. When it is in my pocket, my gun is against my leg and my phone then goes to the outside of the pocket. So there is no gun outline or print in the pocket even when wearing athletic short. Literally carry it in any of the pants and shorts that I own. This gun made it easy to carry concealed and so I do, After all a carry gun and home is worthless when you are out and about.

Having different options is always best. If someone does not know how to fight or defend themselves, join a boxing gym, or take some martial arts classes. One does not need to be a black belt, to understand the basics and have the opportunity to learn that you can take a hit, it might hurt, but you can overcome and keep functioning. There are so many people that have never been in a physical altercation and have never learned to take a punch or to give a punch and what their limits are.
Ted, great post!

I have genetics working for me when I carry. I’m 6’1” and a trim 200 lbs. Carrying a hog leg in shorts and t-shirt aren’t an issue for me, and if I have to dress up, I go to the gun safe and pull out something smaller.

Great choice on your carry weapon!
Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Ted, great post!

I have genetics working for me when I carry. I’m 6’1” and a trim 200 lbs. Carrying a hog leg in shorts and t-shirt aren’t an issue for me, and if I have to dress up, I go to the gun safe and pull out something smaller.

Great choice on your carry weapon!
I am a giant. I can hide just about any gun on me. I just found that when I carry something that is easy to carry and does not feel like I have 6 pounds pulling down on me that I am more likely to carry. The more likely I am to carry equals the more likely I do carry. I have an unrestricted CPL and the only place that I can not legally carry is in a Casio. So I carry pretty much everywhere. With today modern 9mm ammo in +p+ shooting a 124 grain bullet at 1350 fps, it comes more down to shot placement than caliber of ammo. If the gun is comfortable to carry, you will carry it more. If you are comfortable and proficient at shooting the gun you choose to carry, you will be more likely to be confident in your ability to use it,,,,,,,, if necessary......and lets hope that that day never come.

And always, train, shoot, learn and be proficient. As you may not only save your life, but the lives of those around you.. Carrying a gun is a huge responsibility and while I am in favor of it, I do think that many take that responsibility lightly. I used to shoot in a law enforcement match every year....well for about 17 years.... and it was a bullseye match. 300 possible points, The match was open to all law enforcement in the State of Michigan. I was amazed how many cops scored under 100 point out of a possible 300. This is what I learned, The Michigan State Police and the Department of Corrections teams can shoot. Might not want to mess with them.

If I was a criminal and was into bank robbing, I already know where I would be robbing banks because some of those departments are just terrible at shooting. So if you can't shoot well in a slow fire stationary target, you have zero chance in a high stress active situation.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
On your body. In my state it’s not legal to carry off body in the car.

That said I don’t find carrying that useful anyway. I have my CCW but stopped since most places in my state are no carry with consequences if you do. Also if someone is right next to you the seconds it takes to fumble it out of your holster while bucked in you’ll probably get killed.

Keep it in a lockbox? Hold on robber while I get out, get under my seat, unlock this bin, and shoot you.

Pepper spray in the door bin.
I dont see anything saying off body vehicle carry is illegal in OH, or that signs now have weight of law. There are also distinguishments between open and concealed carry.
https://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/CCWManual

I just leave the gun on the passenger seat while driving and in the center console/glove box if I have to go somewhere that prohibits firearms with any legal weight behind it (which are like 5 categories of places here in KY)

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
I am a giant. I can hide just about any gun on me. I just found that when I carry something that is easy to carry and does not feel like I have 6 pounds pulling down on me that I am more likely to carry. The more likely I am to carry equals the more likely I do carry. I have an unrestricted CPL and the only place that I can not legally carry is in a Casio. So I carry pretty much everywhere. With today modern 9mm ammo in +p+ shooting a 124 grain bullet at 1350 fps, it comes more down to shot placement than caliber of ammo. If the gun is comfortable to carry, you will carry it more. If you are comfortable and proficient at shooting the gun you choose to carry, you will be more likely to be confident in your ability to use it,,,,,,,, if necessary......and lets hope that that day never come.

And always, train, shoot, learn and be proficient. As you may not only save your life, but the lives of those around you.. Carrying a gun is a huge responsibility and while I am in favor of it, I do think that many take that responsibility lightly. I used to shoot in a law enforcement match every year....well for about 17 years.... and it was a bullseye match. 300 possible points, The match was open to all law enforcement in the State of Michigan. I was amazed how many cops scored under 100 point out of a possible 300. This is what I learned, The Michigan State Police and the Department of Corrections teams can shoot. Might not want to mess with them.

If I was a criminal and was into bank robbing, I already know where I would be robbing banks because some of those departments are just terrible at shooting. So if you can't shoot well in a slow fire stationary target, you have zero chance in a high stress active situation.
Totally spot-on, brother, and I thank you for your service! Corrections officers don’t seem to get the respect they deserve.

We have a different qualification range in the Army. I fired the Combat Pistol Qualification Course. It has automatic, small torso-size targets that pop up for a few seconds, controlled and scored by computer. When you hit one, it goes down - if you hit it before it times out, otherwise it drops on its own. The targets range from 10 meters out to 31 meters, and some of the tables have two targets up at once. There are magazine changes during the timed targets. It’s not a bulls-eye range, but those are respectable distances to hit a small green torso in a field of green vegetation. I always fired expert, the top score. There were an amazing amount of Soldiers who bolo’d the range the first few times through. And of course I had to do it with the craptastic Beretta 92 (M9). Currently, the Army is transitioning over to the Sig P320 (M17). Great choice!

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
That was the only bullseye match that I shot. It was cool time to take a team there, do a big cook out. Normally I shot IPSC, IDPS, PPC, steel plate and bowling pin shoots. I much prefer the run and gun type course of fire that are from the holster, with mandatory reloads and moving targets.

I shot that bullseye match because, it cost 25 dollars to enter, they gave away about 10 to 15 guns at the match and the department gave you a paid day off to go represent the department. It was just a win win all the way around.

Sponsored

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
I always carry in my vehicles because its hard to shoot someone if you don't have a firearm. My latest iteration of vehicle carry involves a modified pistol holder from www.wpngear.com. Rob makes a pretty cool system but it comes with a cheap holster that is meant to fit many guns...so it doesn't fit any. lol. I took the metal brace he supplied and slotted it to fit 1.5 and 2 inch IWB holsters.

Since i don't want to drive around with a gun poking me and ruining my seats I always remove the pistol and holster while driving. And since i already have a holster on me, I don't need one built into the jeep. So this method allows you to use any IWB holster and is easy in, easy out. It also holds your weapon firmly by the clip and allows you to draw quickly if you need to shoot someone in the face.

I should probably patent this because it's the only good idea I've ever had. Oh well, enjoy internet.

PS- @wibornz and I carry the exact same pistol because we're both extraordinarily intelligent.

IMG_9735.jpg

IMG_9737.jpg

IMG_9738.jpg

IMG_9739.jpg

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Ted,
That P365 looks intriguing. Unfortunately, here in CA, it's not approved. Don't know if it's a requirement that it doesn't meet or just that the mfr hasn't applied/tested the model. So, until something changes, my concealable Sig is a P239 in 40 S&W.

While a 1911 is still my favorite, I've come to favor the Sig double-single trigger for our home D guns and fullsize Sigs are located around the house.

I've been a lifelong fan of the 1911 and still have my first one, a 70 series NM Gold Cup I bought new in 1977. A good number of 1911s have come and gone and I have built up compensated guns when that was the rage. A few years ago, I decided I wanted a Wilson and picked up a Signature fullsize in 45. Around that time, I built up a 9mm on a 1911 Springfield for my wife, doing every trick I could come up with to make it fit her small hands. She really loves that gun.

I'm working on some target 1911s now for some friends.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
I always carry in my vehicles because its hard to shoot someone if you don't have a firearm. My latest iteration of vehicle carry involves a modified pistol holder from www.wpngear.com. Rob makes a pretty cool system but it comes with a cheap holster that is meant to fit many guns...so it doesn't fit any. lol. I took the metal brace he supplied and slotted it to fit 1.5 and 2 inch IWB holsters.

Since i don't want to drive around with a gun poking me and ruining my seats I always remove the pistol and holster while driving. And since i already have a holster on me, I don't need one built into the jeep. So this method allows you to use any IWB holster and is easy in, easy out. It also holds your weapon firmly by the clip and allows you to draw quickly if you need to shoot someone in the face.

I should probably patent this because it's the only good idea I've ever had. Oh well, enjoy internet.

PS- @wibornz and I carry the exact same pistol because we're both extraordinarily intelligent.

Jeep Wrangler JL Where do you store your pistol / gun? IMG_9739

I have a lot of carry option. everything from revolvers to 1911 style to plastic guns like Glocks, S&W shields, Springfield XD and many of them in different calibers. Even some big caliber derringers. The Sig P365 is my daily gun. Sure I could carry a Springfield Trophy Match 1911, it is by far the best shooting pistol that I have and I have shot over 75,000 rounds through it, but the P365 goes in the pocket every time now a days.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Ted,
That P365 looks intriguing. Unfortunately, here in CA, it's not approved. Don't know if it's a requirement that it doesn't meet or just that the mfr hasn't applied/tested the model. So, until something changes, my concealable Sig is a P239 in 40 S&W.

While a 1911 is still my favorite, I've come to favor the Sig double-single trigger for our home D guns and fullsize Sigs are located around the house.

I've been a lifelong fan of the 1911 and still have my first one, a 70 series NM Gold Cup I bought new in 1977. A good number of 1911s have come and gone and I have built up compensated guns when that was the rage. A few years ago, I decided I wanted a Wilson and picked up a Signature fullsize in 45. Around that time, I built up a 9mm on a 1911 Springfield for my wife, doing every trick I could come up with to make it fit her small hands. She really loves that gun.

I'm working on some target 1911s now for some friends.
I have had many 1911 sytle guns over the years, but back in the late 90s, I bought a Springfield Trophy Match 1911. I had it worked over some and have since put over 75,000 rounds through it. Every person including other good gun shooting guys always say that is the nicest shooting pistol I have ever shot. It is by far my favorite pistol and both of my boys want it. I know that gun is like an extension of my hands and arm. While I am not shooting 500+ rounds a week through it like back in the day when I was doing steel plate shoots on Wednesday and IPSC on the weekends, it fits in my hand and the front site is like magic as it always comes up to my eye perfectly. Might not be magic, it might be years and years of practice.

The P365 is like that also, just smaller, feels great in the hand and the front site comes right up to my eye.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
I too have a 1911 that’s been accurized, competition sights, about a two pound trigger pull, but it just doesn’t hold enough rounds in the mag for me to be comfortable carrying it as my EDC - even with a number of spare mags. I go 13+1 in my Springfield XDm .45 though, and it has the same ergonomics as a 1911.

I also occasionally carry a Glock 26, or a Glock 42, and sometimes even a Ruger SR22. It depends on what I’m wearing that day, and where I’m going, along with other tactical considerations.

I bet you guys also have a number of holsters as well. It’s like having a Jeep with constant mods. It seems I buy a different holster about once a year, sometimes twice!

Sponsored

Cleoncini

First Name
Conner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I’ve put a lot of tactical thought into this, due to my experiences while carrying daily in the military, and recent events.

I have a CCW, I carry daily, and it’s either appendix carry or IWB hip carry, and it’s rather large - an XDm .45. I considered a vehicle holster for my Jeep for awhile, but then I had some hesitation.

The two most vulnerable times for a driver are when you exit and enter the vehicle. I have to place my holster back in my pants, if I’m not carrying on my person in the vehicle, when I exit, standing next to the Jeep. I have to pull it out of my pants when I enter my Jeep while standing outside the vehicle. This puts me at a tactical disadvantage at those two vulnerable points.

Let me just say I hope I never have to shoot anyone. A little over a year ago an unfortunate young man tried to mug me with a knife. I chose NOT to reach for my gun in that split second, partially because he was in contact range. Instead, I severely broke his arm and sent him wailing on his way down the sidewalk. Then again, I have over 40 years of training in various arts, and am a certified Army Combatives instructor. Fortunately, I have options.

If you carry a gun, I strongly suggest getting training from a certified professional in all aspects of combat handgun marksmanship, and after that training, train, train, train on your own. Then, pray you never have to draw your weapon.
And always remember, if you ever pull your weapon on someone then you better be prepared to pull the trigger. If you are not prepared for that and the consequences that follow, then you should not even be carrying a weapon. :like:

Goblue

First Name
Darran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU/OB
Occupation
FF/PM

Thinking out of the Box awesome

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
And always remember, if you ever pull your weapon on someone then you better be prepared to pull the trigger. If you are not prepared for that and the consequences that follow, then you should not even be carrying a weapon. :like:
Absolutely!!! Being an active duty Army guy at a National Guard armory, I had an incident once where I DID pull my weapon, and I WAS prepared to shoot.

In short, two black men showed up at the armory one day - a Middle Easterner (clear accent) and a blinged-out thug. I met them at the door with younger backup, my SGT who worked for me (I was an “old” SFC). Thug guy was rudely asking for classified information about our mission, equipment, and capabilities, cursing every other word. I remained polite but adamant. He tried to physically force his way past me to enter the facility. I shoved him back. Apparently he thought he could go through this “old” man. He lunged forward to violently attack me, his Middle Eastern buddy a step behind him. I dumped him HARD on the concrete and pulled my weapon to low-ready. Their eyes got quite wide and fearful, because they could see that (1) I was not a helpless “old” guy, and (2) I was QUITE prepared to shoot them. They fled to their vehicle with out of state plates. We gave the plate number, vehicle description, and photo of the vehicle to law enforcement. Never hear any follow-up. This was right after the Reserve Center was attacked by a Muslim Middle Eastern terrorist, who killed one troop, from what I remember.

I was extremely grateful that I didn’t have to shoot anyone.

As the senior ranking active duty Soldier at my facility, I made certain that our response to such events was robust, as our facility was in the hood. We had gunfire penetrate our facility during duty hours a number of times.
Sponsored