Sponsored

JL Reliability Opinions/Thoughts

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Hi Guys,
I did some research on peoples opinions about JL reliability and I saw a few threads from 2018 of people initially having some major issues. Now that we are about 2.5 years down the road, I wanted to ask for opinions on how people feel about their JL's.

Right now I'm conflicted between a couple vehicles. I love the idea of the JL, but this an expensive purchase for me and will plan to keep the vehicle long term.

Opinions on cost of ownership or long term reliability?
thanks for anything you have to share.
Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
You'll get all kinds of different opinions on a forum. Best vehicle ever! Worst vehicle ever! I never trust what people say on a forum. Or Consumer Reports when they report on the Wrangler. They fall in the worst category opinion.

Sponsored

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
All good here. 40,365 in. Many off-road miles. Maybe 10-12,000. Very isolated areas. No issue yet
IMG_8172.jpeg.jpg

Nice pic;)

I had a factory defective heater core that had my 2019 in the shop for 22 days at 1200 miles, but I've since done around 10k mostly trail and driving-to-trail miles here and no issues. FCA took care of me during the downtime. Steering never an issue either, straight as an arrow even at 80mph.

Everything's gonna have a certain percentage failure rate and as it goes with forums, you're gonna see a disproportionate number of failures on here because most people come here for help with issues and tons of happy owners don't ever find the forums. The JL has been the most fun I've ever had on four wheels.

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Reliability Opinions/Thoughts 3C3DEA4B-E59B-49F8-A7A8-A6F89100108A_1_105_c

Last edited:
OP
OP

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Yeah I'm definitely trying to keep that in perspective. From the 2018 posts it seems like some concerns regarding steering rack, leaks whether it be water or noise. Fortunately haven't seen any major electric or mechanical things...

As I literally just told the sales guy i'm working with. I love the idea of the jeep, but no one can argue the long term reliability of a toyota. While i don't expect this to be a toyota, I just want to avoid unnecessary head ache/money pit problems.

Nice pic;)

I had a factory defective heater core that had my 2019 in the shop for 22 days at 1200 miles, but I've since done around 10k mostly trail and driving-to-trail miles here and no issues. FCA took care of me during the downtime. Steering never an issue either, straight as an arrow even at 80mph.

Everything's gonna have a certain percentage failure rate and as it goes with forums, you're gonna see a disproportionate number of failures on here because most people come here for help with issues and tons of happy owners don't ever find the forums.

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Reliability Opinions/Thoughts IMG_20190817_174626

Sponsored

gwl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
We have a 2020 Rubicon. At 5,000 miles it has had two computers replaced as well as the rear axle replaced. Not a good experience for a $50,000+ vehicle.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Guys,
I did some research on peoples opinions about JL reliability and I saw a few threads from 2018 of people initially having some major issues. Now that we are about 2.5 years down the road, I wanted to ask for opinions on how people feel about their JL's.

Right now I'm conflicted between a couple vehicles. I love the idea of the JL, but this an expensive purchase for me and will plan to keep the vehicle long term.

Opinions on cost of ownership or long term reliability?
thanks for anything you have to share.
2 years trouble free..... a lot of wheeling ......:)

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Reliability Opinions/Thoughts C202EC07-CFA6-46A1-8FA4-6CEFC795D2F3

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Yeah I'm definitely trying to keep that in perspective. From the 2018 posts it seems like some concerns regarding steering rack, leaks whether it be water or noise. Fortunately haven't seen any major electric or mechanical things...

As I literally just told the sales guy i'm working with. I love the idea of the jeep, but no one can argue the long term reliability of a toyota. While i don't expect this to be a toyota, I just want to avoid unnecessary head ache/money pit problems.

For sure. What it does have going for it is simplicity, especially if you choose the 3.6. A time tested and proven motor with no ultramodern fancy stuff, a bulletproof automatic transmission, solid axles and body-on-frame make it a pretty simple vehicle. While it's no Toyota, it's also no BMW. I'd probably avoid a leftover 2018 at this point but a mid to late production 2019 I'd be all over. Electronics are the only thing that give me pause with these, but it does seem that the issues are very low probability especially as production went on. Definitely the most complex part of the whole rig. You have a full 12,000 miles/12 months to decide if you want to extend your warranty too.

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
2 years trouble free..... a lot of wheeling ......:)

C202EC07-CFA6-46A1-8FA4-6CEFC795D2F3.jpeg
Still amazes me what we can do with these things after driving 3states away, then spend 3-4 days doing heavy off road stuff, air up the tires and put back towards home on the freeway at 75 mph! So far I've never had a Jeep or truck as durable and versatile as this

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Indeed it was! I guess you sent if to my friend Aaron

Still amazes me what we can do with these things after driving 3states away, then spend 3-4 days doing heavy off road stuff, sir up the tires and put back towards home in the freeway at 75 mph! So far I've never had a Jeep or truck as durable and versatile as this
Totally agree sir.
Sponsored