Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

From sister-site Jeep Gladiator Forum, JL/JLU Wrangler production is currently running about 70% of full production after about 1 week of the plant reopening.

RatZer0 said:
We're at maybe 70% potential after the first full week of three shifts at my plant. I can't imagine the Toledo Jeep plant being any better. There's more downtime at breaks and between shifts, like an hour of lost production just to facilitate distancing.
RatZer0 said:
70% of full production before Covid. Can't provide actual numbers but just checked and the Jeep plant is at a similiar production situation, ie. roughly 70% with maybe +/- 10% variance daily.

Parts suppliers are also going through a ramp up as well, which could affect what each plant is capable of producing. Alot of moving parts getting a vehicle built, manpower, parts, weather & shipping, etc.
Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
If I remember right they were averaging around 700 Wranglers per day pre-Covid with two shifts and Saturday. That would mean around 500 now. Too bad we can't get all build and sticker sheet info as it happens instead of just the ones registered on Crypto.

madscientist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Wrangler 3.6 AT
From sister-site Jeep Gladiator Forum, JL/JLU Wrangler production is currently running about 70% of full production after about 1 week of the plant reopening.
Wow! ~30% reduction in efficiency. That can't be sustainable without cost reductions......... or price increases to the consumer.

richardya

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge 2011
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think they always run on weekends in normal time. So the extra two days probably puts them on track.
EDIT* One or two days

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
They work Saturdays with union member volunteers and contract workers. Never seen a report they work on Sundays.

Sponsored

punktexas

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Ram Yamaha Santa Cruz
The real question is demand down 30% ?

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
Unfortunately they were over producing before and sitting on thousands of units of unsold supply. Wrangler supply had some of the highest number of days out there of any model and that’s not a good thing. This might actually help right-size the inventory for a bit.

The real question is demand down 30% ?

madscientist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Wrangler 3.6 AT
I think there are two related issues here throughout & productivity.

Extra work-hours would increase throughput, but not productivity. What I'm reading is that the cost of goods will essentially have a ~ +30% cost of labor increase. This is independent of demand.

So regardless of whether they need to produce more or less vehicles, the cost of each vehicle has jumped due to the operational changes. This will need to balanced by either price increases to the customer or reductions in production costs or a combination of both.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
They usually have a large days on lot supply for Wranglers. I remember in 2018 and 2019 it being high. But they keep making them at capacity. Right now they still have 2020 orders from February they are working on. They have told the workers to not plan on the 2 week summer break in production.
And they have raised the prices for the 2021 and will do so throughout the year as needed.

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
From what I've seen about various entities re-opening after the Covid shutdowns, 70% after just one week is pretty damn good. Reestablishing supply chains with Just-in-Time inventory from probably hundreds or thousands of suppliers, replacing and retraining for lost workers, getting the lines back in synch, etc., etc., ON TOP OF all the Covid-mandated measures, 70% is one hell of an achievement.

I say Kudos! to the Toledo plant and all its workers!

Turchman

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2018 VW Tiguan, 2001 Infinity
Occupation
Engineer and Quality Manager
From what I've seen about various entities re-opening after the Covid shutdowns, 70% after just one week is pretty damn good. Reestablishing supply chains with Just-in-Time inventory from probably hundreds or thousands of suppliers, replacing and retraining for lost workers, getting the lines back in synch, etc., etc., ON TOP OF all the Covid-mandated measures, 70% is one hell of an achievement.

I say Kudos! to the Toledo plant and all its workers!
I agree, being in manufacturing myself, they did a great job of not only getting suppliers back online, but also redesigning hundreds of work stations to help protect the workers.
Sponsored