Clutch recall problems

jeepdogjl

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Is anyone else having problems getting their JL fixed? My Jeep has been sitting at the dealership for a month and the still have no idea when they're going to get the part to fix it. Apparently it an external hose on the transmission that leaks and can cause a fire. Mine was leaking and is considered unsafe to drive. The dealer said it would only take about an hour to fix, but they can't get the part. FCA is paying for a rental car, but I just want my Jeep back.
Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve also been told twice since receiving the recall “there’s no parts yet, we’ll call you”. My fear is being I don’t have this in writing, if I have a clutch overheat, I’m not gonna be told by my dealer/FCA that I didn’t follow up on my recall.
These posts in this forum would be all I have to go to war with.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
FCA doesn’t do good job of this in good times, IMO. Frankly, from what I read on these boards, they suck in good times. COVID has likely made things even worse.

persoanlly, I would reach out to @JeepCares for some help. And, i would consider starting a lemon law complaint. If they can’t get you the part, they can buy your Jeep back.

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
Well they’re definitely not reserving those parts for the Jeeps not built yet.

erick73

First Name
Erick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S, 2019 Grand Cherokee Limited
I feel for you Mike.
My '19 wrangler with 16k miles was absolutely fine. I made an appointment for the recall and took it in on may 7th. They did the clutch inspection and they told me Jeep failed the clutch test. They said the Jeep is drivable, they will order parts and call me when the parts are in.
So I pick it up, drive it a mile down the road to my job and park it.
When I go drive home the clutch pedal feels funny, I have a burned clutch smell and it's making a grinding noise when I start driving from a complete stop.
I called the dealer and they put me in a loaner. I called the dealer yesterday (friday). They told me they are still waiting for "some" parts. That some parts came in but not all.
Tomorrow, june 7th will be a month since this whole ordeal started.
It's nice that I have a free dealer loaner. Like you, I too, just want my jeep back.

Sponsored

Kbag

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl sport s
My clutch pedal went to the fore last week. It's at the dealership and they tell me it could be 2 weeks until they can get the hose replacement... I do have a free dealer loaner.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

one reason i have not even tried to get the recall done. They don't have parts readily available. i do not want my jeep sitting that long for a recall. plus... the fires are due to the clutch failing. this put a heat shield on the hose does nothing to prevent a fire that is cause but the friction plate breaking and fling through the trans case and breaking the hard trans cooling line and spraying the exhaust and catching fire... someone please explain how heat sleeve will fix all that from happening. LOL anything to save a penny.

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
I’ve also been told twice since receiving the recall “there’s no parts yet, we’ll call you”. My fear is being I don’t have this in writing, if I have a clutch overheat, I’m not gonna be told by my dealer/FCA that I didn’t follow up on my recall.
These posts in this forum would be all I have to go to war with.
Check your state lemon laws. After 30 days you may have some options.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Check your state lemon laws. After 30 days you may have some options.
From a consumer law attorney:
Misconception

The biggest misconceptions we see about recalls is that a recall or a number of recalls by itself creates a lemon vehicle based on lemon law rules. While this may be intuitive, lemon law analysis depends on the experiences of the consumer. It may require complex application of the law to the facts of a case to make this connection.

If FCA had all manual Jeeps lemoned they would be out of business.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hi everyone!
If your dealer is having some concerns getting parts or you have any questions, please feel free to send us a PM. We would just need your VIN and dealer name to start.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
one reason i have not even tried to get the recall done. They don't have parts readily available. i do not want my jeep sitting that long for a recall. plus... the fires are due to the clutch failing. this put a heat shield on the hose does nothing to prevent a fire that is cause but the friction plate breaking and fling through the trans case and breaking the hard trans cooling line and spraying the exhaust and catching fire... someone please explain how heat sleeve will fix all that from happening. LOL anything to save a penny.
The sleeve isn't to prevent a fire, it's to keep the hose from allowing air into the system which in turn causes the clutch to slip. That builds up heat and could lead to a fire.

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
Misconception

The biggest misconceptions we see about recalls is that a recall or a number of recalls by itself creates a lemon vehicle based on lemon law rules. While this may be intuitive, lemon law analysis depends on the experiences of the consumer. It may require complex application of the law to the facts of a case to make this connection.

While I agree your attorney general should be able to help you. They also can’t leave your car in the shop for months. At least here I could probably push lemon law if the car was undriveable for a month.
Just a thought.

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
Is anyone else having problems getting their JL fixed? My Jeep has been sitting at the dealership for a month and the still have no idea when they're going to get the part to fix it. Apparently it an external hose on the transmission that leaks and can cause a fire. Mine was leaking and is considered unsafe to drive. The dealer said it would only take about an hour to fix, but they can't get the part. FCA is paying for a rental car, but I just want my Jeep back.
I wonder what is really the reason for the W12 recall. Is it the leaking house or is it the trouble with the pressure plates ? I understand it is the house that they are inspecting and I was told mine is just fine. I do not trust those dealership people one word they say.
Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch recall problems clutch recall W12 20200614_203309_resized

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Misconception

x2.
For everyone shouting "LEMON LAW BUYBACK":

Sam talks to a Lemon Law Attorney- Long, but a good watch with a lot of real world info

Truth About L:emon Laws- MotorTrend
https://www.motortrend.com/news/the-truth-about-lemon-laws/

TL;DR:- Just because there are recalls with limited to no parts availability, does not mean you have a slam-dunk case and FCA is going to send you a fistful of cash or a brand new Jeep for your troubles. In fact, if you're seriously considering invoking Lemon law, you should probably talk to a Lemon Law attorney, start stacking up your records, and start thinking about alternative transportation- because it can easily take years for some of these cases to come to resolution, depending on the details.

And yes, I say this as someone who dropped my Rubi off for the W12 Recall on Thurs 6/11/2020, and was told "We should have parts by Monday or Tuesday." I too have a dealer loaner, and yes, I just want my Jeep back. Things have gone OK so far compared to the stories of others here, waiting to see how it shakes out.
Sponsored

Last edited: