Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
When I was shopping around for a replacement SUV for my old Xterra, the Jeep Trail Rail Management system caught my eye. It looked similar to what I had in my Xterra, which I used a lot.

I prefer keeping the bike inside the SUV, because I often take it with me on workdays to ride around at lunch or after work at a nearby park or at the beach.

Sponsored

Sand Flea

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited, Sahara
Occupation
Federal Firefighter, Retired
I use a Thule spare tire rack to transport my bikes to FL in the winter.
In the summer, the rack does double duty transporting sand chairs and umbrellas to the beach.

This setup worked great on my 2013 Wrangler, but when I got my 2018, some modifications needed to be made.
The camera was relocated to the area under the bumper, to the right of the receiver (see photo).

The photos show it all.

IMG_7293.jpeg

IMG_7565.jpeg

IMG_7564.jpeg

IMG_6870.jpeg

IMG_7615.jpeg

IMG_7494.jpeg

OP
OP
CT_LFC

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
OK, so i need to get a hitch and looked up at this video on how to install it. Seems pretty straight forward with just 4 bolts, but of course, i go under my Jeep and somehow it's different.

From the video, the hitch installs easily by inserting 4 bolts, 2 on each side but when i get under my JL it has 2 bolts already inserted into a plate that also has a welded on bolts and the plate goes past the opening of the bumper. WTF would this be for? With the plate having welded on bolts i would not be able to install a hitch.

The inside holes are open and i inserted a sharpie to show.

Jeep Wrangler JL Carrying a bike without a hitch JL1

OP
OP
CT_LFC

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
Looked closer at that damn plate and the plate sticks out and is connected to the bumper (very top of picture), FFS. Looks like i'm going to be setting up an appointment at the dealer for an install.

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
Times have certainly changed , In the old days before cell phones and bungee cords we used to either load the bikes into the trunk but or very few perfectionists would go as far as securing the bike with an old fashioned rope . I think I could tie my bike strait the the spare tire with a rope , I dont own 20 000 $ bicycle that I would treat like a shrine and so I will do just fine with a rope.

Sponsored

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
I use a Yakima fourtimer with a backswing adapter. I have to use an extension to get it to clear the spare tire. On the extension is use a tensioner plate with a u-bolt that tightens the extension to the hitch itself. It’s a very solid setup with that and the anti rattle bolt pins that the Yakima parts come with. It all works really well and I can open the cargo door all the way. I can also use the backswing adapter for a cargo tray or other hitch accessory given that it doesn’t exceed the weight rating.

OP
OP
CT_LFC

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
Times have certainly changed , In the old days before cell phones and bungee cords we used to either load the bikes into the trunk but or very few perfectionists would go as far as securing the bike with an old fashioned rope . I think I could tie my bike strait the the spare tire with a rope , I dont own 20 000 $ bicycle that I would treat like a shrine and so I will do just fine with a rope.
one bike no problem but with a family of 4 rope is not going to work.
As mentioned at the start of the thread, the original plan was to only carry my bike but as the weather has gotten nicer and working from home permanently we really miss not being able to take the JL when going out biking.

Now looks like I’ll be spending a couple hundos taking it to the dealer to install a hitch thanks to that damn plate.

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Do some searches On this forum. . That plate comes off.

OK, so i need to get a hitch and looked up at this video on how to install it. Seems pretty straight forward with just 4 bolts, but of course, i go under my Jeep and somehow it's different.

From the video, the hitch installs easily by inserting 4 bolts, 2 on each side but when i get under my JL it has 2 bolts already inserted into a plate that also has a welded on bolts and the plate goes past the opening of the bumper. WTF would this be for? With the plate having welded on bolts i would not be able to install a hitch.

The inside holes are open and i inserted a sharpie to show.

JL1.jpg
yep. Sahara has that plate. Do a search

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
one bike no problem but with a family of 4 rope is not going to work.
As mentioned at the start of the thread, the original plan was to only carry my bike but as the weather has gotten nicer and working from home permanently we really miss not being able to take the JL when going out biking.

Now looks like I’ll be spending a couple hundos taking it to the dealer to install a hitch thanks to that damn plate.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/hitch-install-question.10988/

OP
OP
CT_LFC

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
Do some searches On this forum. . That plate comes off.

yep. Sahara has that plate. Do a search
I thought i had that little plate and saw a video on removing it but when i looked further at mine this plate is quite long and has 2 arms at each that come out and the bumper bolts into them.

Sponsored

Graydd

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Two bikes works well

20200418_144427.jpg

20200418_144417.jpg

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase

Robnfl

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.0 Diesel - Firecracker Red
Occupation
Retired USN
The Hollywood spare tire rack works great on my Willys. I just had to loosen the 3rd brake light a little in order to slide the rack around the tire.

OP
OP
CT_LFC

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
Had hitch installed at dealer. They installed it between plate and channel so I’m glad to have this over with.
Tried our Thule rack and would only fit with spare tire off and gate doesn’t fully open so going to order the quadratec rack this weekend.
Jeep Wrangler JL Carrying a bike without a hitch 34B02597-5FC5-433B-9F36-22B16C5B30D5
Jeep Wrangler JL Carrying a bike without a hitch 323F6254-CCF9-4F60-A687-1444E9ED5010
Sponsored