C vs D or E

jawsATL

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Granite Metallic Sahara
I don't plan on towing anything or doing off-roading that would push my Jeep to the limits. I am concerned more about tread wear, traction, etc.

That being said, would a C rated tire be fine? I am looking at BFGs and there is about a $20 difference in C and E. I have no problem getting an E rated tire, but is it overkill based on what I plan on doing?

I have read some reviews that said the BFGs C wore out quick <20K and there is no warranty. I don't mind paying $20 more per tire if they are going to last 45K-50K miles vs half that, but do the Cs wear that bad consistently?
Sponsored

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
You ideally want C or D. Jeeps are light. Maybe the softer tread compound makes it wear faster, but you will hear all kinds of mileage reports. I actually don’t mind when a tire wears. Gives me a chance to get new ones. i love tire shopping. My new Duratracs are D load.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I don't plan on towing anything or doing off-roading that would push my Jeep to the limits. I am concerned more about tread wear, traction, etc.

That being said, would a C rated tire be fine? I am looking at BFGs and there is about a $20 difference in C and E. I have no problem getting an E rated tire, but is it overkill based on what I plan on doing?

I have read some reviews that said the BFGs C wore out quick <20K and there is no warranty. I don't mind paying $20 more per tire if they are going to last 45K-50K miles vs half that, but do the Cs wear that bad consistently?
C load is more than enough for a wrangler and will ride better than e load. Consider this, Ford engineers chose a 315/70/17 bfg ko2 load c to put on the Raptor that weighs approx 6000lbs and can tow 8k lbs. There wont be a meaningful increase in mileage difference.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I have Falken M/T load range C on my Rubicon and am considering the same in load range E when it comes time to replace them. E tires typically have 4 additional belts and the sidewalls are stiffer which can equate to a harsher ride, but harder to puncture.

Thoughts?

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

I’m running 275/70/18 KO2 E rating. Inflated to about 32PSI cold. They ride well up to 36PSI. After that I find they get A bit harsh compared to the stock rubber.

Sponsored

Dfisher81

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I’m running 275/70/18 KO2 E rating. Inflated to about 32PSI cold. They ride well up to 36PSI. After that I find they get A bit harsh compared to the stock rubber.
Hey there. I am also in the tire shopping market. Question for you @MeanMrWolf: are you on a Rubi or Sahara/Sport trim? I am a Sahara and looking exactly at these tires (275/70/18). How do they fit? They look like essentially a bit narrower Rubi stock. I know the high line genders are different but I am think these 275/70/18 would fit fine or at most maybe a small spacer.

What are your thoughts? Did you recal speedo at all with a SuperChips or anything? Thank you!!!

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

Hey there. I am also in the tire shopping market. Question for you @MeanMrWolf: are you on a Rubi or Sahara/Sport trim? I am a Sahara and looking exactly at these tires (275/70/18). How do they fit? They look like essentially a bit narrower Rubi stock. I know the high line genders are different but I am think these 275/70/18 would fit fine or at most maybe a small spacer.

What are your thoughts? Did you recal speedo at all with a SuperChips or anything? Thank you!!!
I love them, run them about 32-33 cold on my stock rims. I recalibrated my tire size based on measured size, not reported size. They are a 33” (reported) size and about 32.5 measured. Use a level on the tire and measure from ground to bottom of level.

Here is a front and side view of the rubber on myJLUS. No lift yet, no rubbing, I’ve lost a smidgen of articulation at full flex.

3D7C8F19-D582-4E43-AA86-584BDD7AE27A.jpeg

4DF1C482-659D-464B-B129-DE9812E591CA.jpeg

Dfisher81

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Thanks!! You may have sold me with that pic. I have the same JLUS wheels but granite grey. The white our actually looks good.
I’ve heard the KO2s do measure a bit small and that most tire manufacturers report size based on max inflation so for an LT that’s probably like 80psi

anyway. This is very helpful. Thanks again!!

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

Thanks!! You may have sold me with that pic. I have the same JLUS wheels but granite grey. The white our actually looks good.
I’ve heard the KO2s do measure a bit small and that most tire manufacturers report size based on max inflation so for an LT that’s probably like 80psi

anyway. This is very helpful. Thanks again!!
Any time!

Dfisher81

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Any time!
Hey being from Ontario you clearly ha e tested these in the snow unless you just got them. I hear they are everything they’re cracked up to be?

Any other folks have opinions on this setup?

Sponsored

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

Hey being from Ontario you clearly ha e tested these in the snow unless you just got them. I hear they are everything they’re cracked up to be?

Any other folks have opinions on this setup?
They have been fine, I ran KO2s year round in my KL trailhawk as well. They even behaved in some of the greasiest, iciest weather I’ve encounter this past winter in decades. They aren’t as good as a true winter, but they beat just about everything.

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
Went from C Rated KO2's to same size E rated MT's. Pressured up from 34psi to 40psi for road. Found that the E are just fine. Not soft but very manageable. No big deal. E is overkill for a JL but if that is your desired tire rating, then go E. Its a Jeep, they are not luxury cars.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

Went from C Rated KO2's to same size E rated MT's. Pressured up from 34psi to 40psi for road. Found that the E are just fine. Not soft but very manageable. No big deal. E is overkill for a JL but if that is your desired tire rating, then go E. Its a Jeep, they are not luxury cars.
My Jeep gets Squirrley around 37 or so PSI. Keep it down to about 34.

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
My Jeep gets Squirrley around 37 or so PSI. Keep it down to about 34.
I agree with you on the KO2s - that was my experience too. However, it really likes these MTs at 40. Rides fine and is more responsive. Not squirrelly.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
My E-rated Pats ride fine, had them at 30 but up to 34, find the ride a bit firmed up but TBH it's nothing objectionable.
Sponsored