Sponsored

Wanting to trim wheel weight....looking for recommendations...

kogar

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR EcoDiesel
My current wheel/tire combo gives me 116lbs each. That's a Falken Wildpeak AT3W (LT315/70r17) sitting on Fuel Cleaver wheels. The Cleavers look impressive (purchased at wife's request, actually!), but I'd really like to trim some weight. I am NOT willing to give up the Falken Wildpeaks though, as they have demonstrated they are outstanding offroad (and onroad) tires. It would be nice to trim off 10 or so pounds off each wheel. I'm not looking for "showy" stuff, just good wheels that will stand up to some usage. My pretty Cleavers already have some rock rash (proudly worn), so I want something that will stand up to offroad usage as well. If I remember, the Falken wheels are about 68lbs each, and the Cleavers are about 35lbs (which doesn't really come close to 116, so maybe when I weighted the set I didn't measure correctly).

pd3.jpg
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Don't know if you could find any but those Forged Alcoa wheels that come on the Cherokee SRTs would be light & very strong.

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
I love Method Race wheels, they are not the lightest but lighter than many of the after market wheels. Not to mention damn strong. Many of the off road racing vehicles run the same wheel a they sell to the public. That’s impressive when rece teams want light and strong to win races.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

Look at the off-road rims from Fifteen52, they are light, under thirty pounds each and stylish.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I think Fuel has a forged wheel line. Forged are strongest & lightest but the selection for truck/Jeep wheels is very limited. There are some flow formed aka Rotary Forged that will be lighter & stronger (not on par w/ true forged though) but may not have many 4x4 sets :(

Sponsored

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
Fifteen52. I think the traverse are 25/26lb. Analogs are 27. TurboMacs are 26 I believe.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
My current wheel/tire combo gives me 116lbs each. That's a Falken Wildpeak AT3W (LT315/70r17) sitting on Fuel Cleaver wheels. The Cleavers look impressive (purchased at wife's request, actually!), but I'd really like to trim some weight. I am NOT willing to give up the Falken Wildpeaks though, as they have demonstrated they are outstanding offroad (and onroad) tires. It would be nice to trim off 10 or so pounds off each wheel. I'm not looking for "showy" stuff, just good wheels that will stand up to some usage. My pretty Cleavers already have some rock rash (proudly worn), so I want something that will stand up to offroad usage as well. If I remember, the Falken wheels are about 68lbs each, and the Cleavers are about 35lbs (which doesn't really come close to 116, so maybe when I weighted the set I didn't measure correctly).

Jeep Wrangler JL Wanting to trim wheel weight....looking for recommendations... pd3
What's motivating the weight savings? Are those 18" wheels?

OP
OP
kogar

kogar

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR EcoDiesel
What's motivating the weight savings? Are those 18" wheels?
They're 17s. To be honest, I'm hoping that trimming a bit of weight will help some of the handling, esp with braking. Admittedly, 10lbs doesn't seem like much, but when it's 10lbs off each wheel, it adds up.

Honestly, the smart option would be to just get someone's Rubicon pull-offs and drive with those until I go offroading. That's probably what I'll do, but I want to keep my options open.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
They're 17s. To be honest, I'm hoping that trimming a bit of weight will help some of the handling, esp with braking. Admittedly, 10lbs doesn't seem like much, but when it's 10lbs off each wheel, it adds up.

Honestly, the smart option would be to just get someone's Rubicon pull-offs and drive with those until I go offroading. That's probably what I'll do, but I want to keep my options open.
I've been there looking to reduce weight and trimmed 20lbs per corner ditching beadlocks. Losing 10lbs per corner isnt going to make a big difference in how it drives. I'd sell that wheel/tire combo and aim to shed more weight if you're gonna spend the $ and want results you can feel.

OP
OP
kogar

kogar

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR EcoDiesel
I've been there looking to reduce weight and trimmed 20lbs per corner ditching beadlocks. Losing 10lbs per corner isnt going to make a big difference in how it drives. I'd sell that wheel/tire combo and aim to shed more weight if you're gonna spend the $ and want results you can feel.
Thanks! That was kind of my concern. I think should just stick to rolling with 33" Rubi pull-offs on the road, then bump to the 35s on my planned offroading adventures.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks! That was kind of my concern. I think should just stick to rolling with 33" Rubi pull-offs on the road, then bump to the 35s on my planned offroading adventures.
Might also consider more aggressive brake pads, I think the Powerstop Z36 might fit the bill.