Sponsored

1st oil change for diesel?

Sosos68

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon EcoDiesel. 2014 Porsche 991, 2014 vw Touareg tdi, 2005 Mercedes 320 CDI, 1995 Toyota Tacoma 4x4.
Occupation
Sales
I thought I’d read something about poor access to the filter. No issues there? That’s my only concern.

BTW, welcome to the forum.
Thank you. It was a 10 min job . For oil filter you will need 27mm socket and 13 mm for the oil pan plug .
Sponsored

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
I suspect most of my choking emission stuff will rust and fall off long before 8 years. :CWL:
But good news - FCA emissions warranty is 8 years/80,000 miles on the 3.0L.

WVB

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys Unlimited 3.0L Diesel HellaYella
Right at 1K and planning on changing this weekend. I always do an initial break in oil change early. I also cut open the filter and inspect. I have found 1mm metal shavings, sand, RTV and other unidentifiable bits of stuff.

Dasher320

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7, 2003 TJ, 2020 JLUR
Occupation
Pilot
Vehicle Showcase
I would be shocked it anyone has put 10,000 miles on a diesel yet. The suggested interval for changing the oil is 10,000 or every year. I would be surprised if anyone is doing it...usually the dealer has free oil changes for the first couple of years I thought. Why do it if it is free?

Don't know why anyone would prematurally change the oil?
There is no chance in hell I let the lowest guy on the totem pole at the dealership touch my diesel to do an oil change. I will be doing it myself. I plan to take mine on the road for a long trip soon and will be changing the oil before I go, so probably at around 3000 miles. Probably not needed at all, but I'm doing it anyway. I'll also be changing out the fluid on the front diff because I'm putting a new cover on and changing the fluid on the rear diff because I'll be towing a travel trailer. No one touches my Jeeps unless absolutely necessary. On the other hand, I have a Mercedes AMG that I have never even changed a bulb on.

Sponsored

kosinar

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black JLUR 3.0 EcoDiesel received 3/6/20
Just did mine at 1730 miles. Easies oil change on any vehicles I ever owned. Mile of clearance underneath for me on creeper and zero drip filter replacement.

runjhike

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor
It may be an old wives tale, but I believe that more frequent oil changes are beneficial - or, at least can't hurt. My dad always said it was the cheapest insurance you can buy. Also, I always perform an initial oil change at 1,000 miles.

Am I the only one left who "over" changes his oil? Are people planning to go the full 10,000 miles?
I’m an every 5k oil change guy with only full synthetic. While modern day oils may be able to last longer, it’s the contaminants that need to be removed and ensure the longevity of the motor. I agree completely with your dad!

toolaide4fit

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Occupation
IT Manager
I’m an every 5k oil change guy with only full synthetic. While modern day oils may be able to last longer, it’s the contaminants that need to be removed and ensure the longevity of the motor. I agree completely with your dad!
I am an advocate of doing what makes you feel better. I am going to post a couple of article for those that are not sure or are not familiar with when and how often you should change your oil. So far, I have not heard or seen anything of factual or scientific basis for the assumption of changing your oil sooner than the manufacturers recommended intervals. As a matter of fact, most articles refer you to look to the manufacturers manual to determine the frequency to change your oil.

So this is NOT to tell people what they should or shouldn't do, rather to give some addition information from a couple of different resources. Some people may look a this and think they need to change their oil sooner than necessary. This is not to chastise or disagree with those that want to change their oil more frequently. It doesn't hurt to do it, there is no evidence that says it helps either.

Keep in mind, where you live, how you drive your vehicle and how you use it does make a difference.

For what it is worth:

https://recondoil.com/change-synthetic-oil/

https://www.caranddriver.com/shopping-advice/a27078539/synthetic-oil-change-interval/

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-maintenance/things-to-know-about-oil-changes-for-your-car/

WVB

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys Unlimited 3.0L Diesel HellaYella
I am an advocate of doing what makes you feel better. I am going to post a couple of article for those that are not sure or are not familiar with when and how often you should change your oil. So far, I have not heard or seen anything of factual or scientific basis for the assumption of changing your oil sooner than the manufacturers recommended intervals. As a matter of fact, most articles refer you to look to the manufacturers manual to determine the frequency to change your oil.

So this is NOT to tell people what they should or shouldn't do, rather to give some addition information from a couple of different resources. Some people may look a this and think they need to change their oil sooner than necessary. This is not to chastise or disagree with those that want to change their oil more frequently. It doesn't hurt to do it, there is no evidence that says it helps either.

Keep in mind, where you live, how you drive your vehicle and how you use it does make a difference.

For what it is worth:

https://recondoil.com/change-synthetic-oil/

https://www.caranddriver.com/shopping-advice/a27078539/synthetic-oil-change-interval/

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-maintenance/things-to-know-about-oil-changes-for-your-car/
If you really want to know your benefit then change it and send a sample to Blackstone Labs for analysis. They will send you a report that tells you everything you need to know about the condition of your oil. They also give you wear metal content. Great for overall engine health monitoring.
https://www.blackstone-labs.com/?session-id=fgl5pl5530z12555ehow2y55&timeout=20&bslauth&urlbase=https://www.blackstone-labs.net/Bstone/(S(fgl5pl5530z12555ehow2y55))/

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
Just hit 5K miles, its fixing to get its first oil change. No way ill go 10k miles between changes. I'm way to old school......lol
Well old schoolers like you and me use more common sense than the new schooler thinking. With a new car, first 1,000 miles it gets changed, then every 3,000 miles and I've never had motor problems and I've had 45 new vehicles since 1970.

Way to go "old schoolers"!

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The oil filter is in a fantastic spot, and it's an awesome top load filter, so that is great. But, on the JL application they put all the air intake crap right on top of it. That's where the access issue comes from. The Ram application doesn't have that problem.

As far as oil, the manual specifically states "under NO conditions should you exceed 10,000 miles" between oil changes. And, there's been at least one guy on the Ram forum who had his warranty voided because he went slightly over 10,000 miles on an oil change once. So, clearly the 10,000 miles is a MAXIMUM, not a recommendation.

It would be very wise on the diesel especially to do less than 10,000 miles between oil changes.

I'm at 3,500 miles and I'm going to do my first one at 5,000 miles. I'm also going to send the factory fill off for analysis to see what the scoop is on that oil.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
The oil filter is in a fantastic spot, and it's an awesome top load filter, so that is great. But, on the JL application they put all the air intake crap right on top of it. That's where the access issue comes from. The Ram application doesn't have that problem.

As far as oil, the manual specifically states "under NO conditions should you exceed 10,000 miles" between oil changes. And, there's been at least one guy on the Ram forum who had his warranty voided because he went slightly over 10,000 miles on an oil change once. So, clearly the 10,000 miles is a MAXIMUM, not a recommendation.

It would be very wise on the diesel especially to do less than 10,000 miles between oil changes.

I'm at 3,500 miles and I'm going to do my first one at 5,000 miles. I'm also going to send the factory fill off for analysis to see what the scoop is on that oil.
Your 10,000 mile guy is an interesting case. Like me, many people are too frequent, but 10,000.+ is someone who dislikes their engine. Certainly not enthusiast by any means.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
Your 10,000 mile guy is an interesting case. Like me, many people are too frequent, but 10,000.+ is someone who dislikes their engine. Certainly not enthusiast by any means.
Is that your expert opinion? An enthusiast would only ever follow Jeep's advice? Sure....

Ever heard of UOA's?

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Well you have to understand that there is still this idea floating around that diesel engines go forever between oil changes. That they somehow magically don't get the oil contaminated.

Irony is that diesels are much harder on oil than gas engines. Soot loading, plus all that emissions equipment, not to mention making peak torque at lower RPMs where there isn't much heat to burn off byproducts....it's just really hard on oil.

But, a lot of guys still associate "diesel" with "long oil life". I'm not sure where that came from, but oh well....

What I'm going to do is install a Fumoto valve. That way I can change the nasty diesel oil quickly without getting any of it on my hands or the undercarriage. I'll probably do 5,000 mile OCIs unless my analysis results specifically show I can go 8,000.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Well you have to understand that there is still this idea floating around that diesel engines go forever between oil changes. That they somehow magically don't get the oil contaminated.

Irony is that diesels are much harder on oil than gas engines. Soot loading, plus all that emissions equipment, not to mention making peak torque at lower RPMs where there isn't much heat to burn off byproducts....it's just really hard on oil.

But, a lot of guys still associate "diesel" with "long oil life". I'm not sure where that came from, but oh well....

What I'm going to do is install a Fumoto valve. That way I can change the nasty diesel oil quickly without getting any of it on my hands or the undercarriage. I'll probably do 5,000 mile OCIs unless my analysis results specifically show I can go 8,000.
I will also be changing at 5000 miles ( I was thinking 6-7k at one time), and use the 4 Jeep Waves in two years before they expire.
Apart from oil change, there is tire rotations also to be done, DEF fluid to be topped and water to be drained from fuel (if any). Yes, I can do DEF and water drain but might as well have the dealership do all of it during the oil change if I don't get to what I can do myself.
Sponsored