COVID and Soft tops

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
Hi Spearmin, I'm not suggesting we give up, but we all need to come to terms that the dice will be rolled for each of us. Each person's fate is, to some extent, built into their genes and biology (blood type, racial background, current state of health, age). We have a 81 yr old friend who had 2 heart attacks last year, she was tested positive after saying she felt like she had a head cold. Your 38 yr old friend, with no known health issues, battles the virus. Their stories seem reversed. We don't know why yet.
Correct. If cases never to never become zero, are people willing to accept to have to wear masks, social distance, follow arrows on the floor of stores, never attend a sports game, a concert, and all the stuff that has been forced upon us for the rest of their lives? Looks like the OP would, fine, but people should have the choice and not mandated by some idiot governor.
Sponsored

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
You all know nothing about covid.......nobody does, and thats just the way it was planned. Why did the flu virus end with covid, yep nobody has died from the flu since covid started, my ass, hundreds of thousands of elderly and unhealthy people with issues die every year from the flu just....like.....every.....year......but not this year, nope, everybody is dying from covid. I smell a rat. If you think its selfish and dangerous to not wear a mask this year then why haven't you been wearing them the last hundred years of cold and flu seasons that have killed hundreds of thousands of people. The death rate is the same, it's actually less if you subtract all the deaths that were labeled covid and later found not to be. People just want to believe what everybody is believing....Conformity will ruin america. Take care of yourself and keep on going, that's all we can do, that's all we've ever done.
I remember reading NY reported 4,000 "probable covid" deaths as covid, and seeing videos from different government people basically saying that if you die of X but you tested positive for covid it was chalked up as a covid death. It's unbelievable how blown out of proportion this has been.

And you're correct, suddenly no one is dying of flu, emphysema, COPD, pneumonia and other respiratory issues, They're all covid.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Death is not tragic. It is inevitable. It is going to happen to everyone of us. It is about the only thing we are entitled to.

There are 7+ billion of us. In the big picture your death will be insignificant. My death will be insignificant. All the COVID, or flu, deaths are insignificant. This is why no one bats an eye every year at flu deaths, or auto accident deaths, or heart disease deaths, or [pick your cause] deaths.

We respond to change. If COVID doesn't go away soon enough It'll be common like the flu and we'll become just as comfortable with the annual deaths from it as we are about everything else that kills lots of us.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Death is not tragic. It is inevitable. It is going to happen to everyone of us. It is about the only thing we are entitled to.

There are 7+ billion of us. In the big picture your death will be insignificant. My death will be insignificant. All the COVID, or flu, deaths are insignificant. This is why no one bats an eye every year at flu deaths, or auto accident deaths, or heart disease deaths, or [pick your cause] deaths.
Yep. Therein lies the problem with most people: death anxiety and most don’t want to talk or think about it. For good reason, of course, it’s a morbid topic and makes people sometimes feel frightened or sad. Truth is, we are all mortals, we will all pass one day. That death is certain, is certain.

But we can’t truly die if we haven’t truly lived. Which is why it’s important to love each day, live and be the best that we can be. Here in this world, present in the moment, not forgetful that we will one day leave... and offer the best to each other and ourselves.

Or just troll the shit out of the covidiots who we come across in real life: they know who they are.

I say all of that to say... I hope you don’t have to smell my farts friend. If you’re confused, just go back a few pages in this thread. :CWL: Have fun out there!

Sponsored

OP
OP

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
@CT_LFC : Funny you mention sports games. Say someone goes to one. They order one of those franks--better-- on top of a cheese steak. Statistically they put their health at greater risk with these repeated decisions but I say, pretty much, "to each their own."

Blocked arteries aren't contagious. COVID is.

Everyone's health decisions with the latter can impact and be impacted by others, particularly at social events.

Government has a right to not put hospitals at full capacity, so it imposes on you the most minor imposition of a mask, so you will reduce the risk of not harming or being harmed by others.

What is the big deal with this mask and people's loss of freedoms here? Are you going to stand out like a sore thumb when everyone else's wearing a mask?

By analogy I just "love" people who think the motorcycle helmet too much of an imposition on their freedom, but expect the State who makes them wear it to also care for them ($) if they become a vegetable from a traumatic brain injury on it.

Could some COVID deaths have possible get bucketed into COVID mortality stats when something else might have been the more proximate cause of death: sure. Could those other things have catalyzed the COVID death: you bet.

But those morgue trucks in NY weren't filled because of an uptick in cancer, stroke, and heart attack, etc. victims, nor did those things go away. How's about those who survived, and would cost the economy billions being out of work for a while, or filled up hospitals with other COVID patients and those who could otherwise be cured die for lack of a hospital bed?

Death is by no means COVIDs only mechanism of harm--yet you focus on that.

@TEXGOAT: You may not agree that greenhouse gases are causing harm--I just don't know. But experts think they are, and when you and I drive ICE rigs we harm the environment without fully paying for it. If you did pay your way, gas might be $27/gallon factoring in clean up costs. Then, willing to pay that cost, I'd see your point about government imposition. But saying government restricts you here is like saying that laws that require you to process your sewage (another form of pollution,) and not dump it on other property, affecting others, restricts your freedoms.

Exhaling and the CO2 it emits is necessarily for life. I think to sarcastically compare it to combustion's a stretch. And yeah, I know we need heat in the winter.

@GtX: bucketing deaths from COVID with flu is like comparing the harm from getting anthrax with the harm done to your hearing seeing the rock band Anthrax. Sure an individual death doesn't nor shouldn't change public policy, but 100K deaths should.

The inevitability of death and its tragedy aren't mutually exclusive. Both can exist, particularly when life is taken years before aging does.

"If COVID doesn't go away soon enough It'll be common like the flu and we'll become just as comfortable with the annual deaths from it as we are about everything else that kills lots of us."

This is called, as you may know, herd immunity. Let's look at some math here--source: John Hopkins. https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/from-ou...ty-against-covid-19-a-dangerous-misconception

1 in 500 NYers died from COVID at an infection rate whose high estimate is 21%. Herd immunity occurs at 70% of the population being exposed.

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
Man, someone drank the entire pitcher of the kool aid Fauci and the rest of the clowns are serving. Make sure to keep those windows at home closed.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Being exposed
I’m sorry to disappoint you but you’re neither going to get the coronavirus or even die from it.

Put your mind at ease. Even if that means you take your precautions against it the best that you can. And when you can’t beyond that, put it out of your mind

If, in the incredibly small chance that you do get infected by it, your discomfort will be minimal and you’ll most likely recover from it.

There’s nothing anyone can do to stop the spread of it.

We can only take preventive measure by ensuring we practice good hygiene daily and if you should choose to, follow the guidelines by the CDC.

Know that either you will either consume it, it will consume you or you will not get it.

Put your mind at ease and give the news media a rest. Your clicks and viewership have helped them make their ad revenue for the day. Go relax in your bed and eat a sandwich.

OP
OP

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
@CT_LFC Ed : I don't know what part of the apolitical science of disease spread escapes you that you believe Fauci and the CDC's guidance to be anything but the best playbook we have so far. Is it subject to change: sure. Is some of it based on projections that may be off or not spot on: sure. Fauci has no agenda other than making policy that prevents disease spread, having worked under administrations on both sides of the aisle.

Does his guidance have to be counterbalanced by well intentioned politicians with the cost to society of not reopening the economy in controlled phases: sure.

@Notorious Kevin:

You cannot speak to the specifics of people you don't know getting infected beyond the most generalized statistics on infection rates, steps people are taking to control that rate, and their effectiveness.

I don't sit up worrying about getting sick, or dying from COVID if I do. I wouldn't fail to wear a mask in a crowded elevator either, and right now, nobody should do the latter either. My point is that there is balance.

And what is it about "me" that you focus on and just don't understand isn't about "me," or "you, "but rather "us?" My getting sick can cause others to get sick, and vice versa.

Nobody reasonable is right now attempting to "stop it" today, and the fact that we can't in no way is reason to abandon ways to reduce its spread. If your point was to be taken literally (i.e. "stop it") it's as silly a point as abandoning seat belt laws just because some people perish in automobile accidents despite wearing them.

As a side note not necessarily directed to either poster above, I simply don't understand people who profess their right to freedom from a so called oppressive government, that reduces those freedoms so that others in society can enjoy theirs. Government mandating that you exercise: that's too much, as are some laws out there.

Government telling you that you can't drive drunk: that restriction is fair.

I can't help believe that sometimes, selfish jerks who simply don't want to be told what to do and make sacrifices for the better of society, wave ridiculous levels of freedom in our face.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
@Notorious Kevin:
You cannot speak to the specifics of people you don't know getting infected beyond the most generalized statistics on infection rates, steps people are taking to control that rate, and their effectiveness.

I don't sit up worrying about getting sick, or dying from COVID if I do. I wouldn't fail to wear a mask in a crowded elevator either, and right now, nobody should do the latter either. My point is that there is balance.

And what is it about "me" that you focus on and just don't understand isn't about "me," or "you, "but rather "us?" My getting sick can cause others to get sick, and vice versa.

Nobody reasonable is right now attempting to "stop it" today, and the fact that we can't in no way is reason to abandon ways to reduce its spread. If your point was to be taken literally (i.e. "stop it") it's as silly a point as abandoning seat belt laws just because some people perish in automobile accidents despite wearing them.
Shhhhh.... Hush your mouth baby, hush it.

Clearly you feel very passionate about the coronavirus. At this point, I’m tired of hearing, reading and talking about it. The coronavirus isn’t the smoking gun or magic bullet that we discovered that’s out there that we don’t have a cure for and that can harm us.

Mark my words, there are other things out there that are undiscovered that can harm us worse. What do you propose? Quarantining everyone? Where do you draw the line?

For what it is worth, I continue to follow the professional courtesy in making others feel safe.

All human beings have an expiration date and if someone doesn’t die from the coronavirus, they will die from something else.
Sponsored