Sponsored

Anybody Find a Hard Top Hoist for the JL Yet?

Tjax

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Dr JL Rubicon
I'm curious to find out if there was a sound engineering reason to have to redesign this device for the back of the JL hardtop from that of the JK.
I used a hoist for years and switched to a TopLift Pro. I couldn’t be happier. Toplift Pro sent me a JL compatible top section for the lift. The groove running down the middle of th JL top is roughly 1.5” wider than the JK.

I know it’s expensive, but so is your hardtop.
Sponsored

ClayMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RDX, BMW 328i Convertible
I am thinking of using four of these with cross bars to lift the hard top. I already have a hoist in my garage

0DAC6707-494E-4554-BFAB-D63C527D4CB3.png

Tjax

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Dr JL Rubicon
62708E8D-98E7-41AA-8B58-ED8A376B37E2.jpeg
I used a hoist for years and switched to a TopLift Pro. I couldn’t be happier. Toplift Pro sent me a JL compatible top section for the lift. The groove running down the middle of th JL top is roughly 1.5” wider than the JK.

I know it’s expensive, but so is your hardtop.

knick33

First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon (Ordered)
I reached out to Topsy and they don’t have the JL brackets yet. But I plan on doing the Topsy kit with the Racor rack.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
;)I'm not quite sure what everyone's issue is. I simply undo the bolts and say to may hard top "levitate!"

Sometimes it's stubborn, in which case I raise my voice and say slower "levitate!"

levitation.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

JEEPJL

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep unlimted Sahara JL
Vehicle Showcase
Just curious on how you’d attach these to the hardtop ? They’re made of glass fiber or something similar right ? Can’t really just drill a hole in it, can you ?
Same way you attach the Thule Cap rack . I have had one of these on my Nissan for the past 6 yrs with 0 issues ! . they come with a thick rubber seal that fits between the bracket and the top and then a metal bracket and two nylon nuts underneath . And they come with Black rubber caps that fit over the nuts on the inside for a clean appearance

Nothing against the Lange / Harken hoist's and power lift but they just seem to have way to many steps to secure the top before you lift and the lift is a bit pricey

I ordered one of these cleats in SS and one in black just to see the size and how it will look .....These also come with the rubber seal. In the closed position they are only 1/2" high ..!!! Would def. use large washers or a full double plate on inside !!

I think its worth looking into and would save alot of steps !!

" I spoke with my Jeep Custom shop and they can powder coat the cleats to be less conspicuous "

Captur.JPG

Capt.JPG

Last edited:

se7en

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X / Zynith / 3.6 Auto / SOT / XR
Can you fold the rear window down with this lift?

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
My previous joking post aside, I know of owners with all the garage and garage ceiling space in the world who still use devices like the Top Lift Pro and Lange's Hoist-A-Cart to get the top off because it's easier to align position by moving the device to the rig, than the rig to the garage hoist AND because pushing up on the cart, they feel, puts less stress on the back glass then pulling it from above (garage hoists which lift a piece of wood on which the hard top lies notwithstanding.)

Then, they take sometimes either of the aforementioned removal devices to the garage hoist and lift the hard top up and away for storage.

I bit overkill, maybe. People have reported, at least on the JK, that inappropriate torsion energy on the hard top from said raising and lowering has put pressures on the tops attachment points to the back glass and shattered it.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Use a RACOR hoist, I did for over ten years and is simple balanced and is a one man ops-

JIMBO

Sponsored

SuperDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
there is another thread somewhere on the forum...Something about shattered glass. The guy says he used the Harken Hoist as advertised for the JL, but it shattered his back window.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ar-glass-of-my-hard-top-rip.4696/#post-106688

a bunch of people blasted him, and claimed it is user error...But I'm still apprehensive. The Harken was going to be my first choice too...But now I dunno.
I installed the Harken Hoist 2 weeks ago and it worked great for lifting the JL hardtop! I have only an 8-ft ceiling in the garage, so needed something that would like the top as high as possible. The Harken gets my top about 4-5 inches from ceiling.

knick33

First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon (Ordered)
I was just messaging with Topsy and it looks like they are putting out their own hoist in a few months, not just brackets. Might be worth keeping an eye out for, I will probably wait to see what they bring to market.

Notty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon; 2018 Ford Raptor; 2018 Honda Civic Type R
I don't see why the Harken Hoister for Jeep wouldn't work on the new JL top. I have it for my wife's JK and the only parameters seem to be the overall weight. The hoist handles up to 145 lbs so I think the new JL 4 door top comes in around 100 lbs so it should be good to go. It is a very easy install and I will be putting another one in when my JL arrives.

https://www.amazon.com/Harken-Hoist...=1521381473&sr=8-1&keywords=harken+hoist+jeep
This is what I have been using on our JL. No problems whatsoever.

mnrafter

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mcneils.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon, 2013 Jeep JKU Rubicon, 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
Occupation
Special Procedures Radiologic Technologist
Vehicle Showcase