First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I've read multiple threads about front body bolts breaking when installing sliders. Is this a likely issue, or a remote one?
Sponsored

Last edited:

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
I've read multiple threads about front body bolts breaking when installing sliders. Is this a likely issue, or a remote one.
I’ve yet to break one but it’s on my mind anytime I have to loosen them for RSE step installs.

We also use an induction heater to soften the lock tight too

Brett

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
The 2 tricks that i have seen that always seem to work are:

-heat the bolts

-Back off every half turn

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
There are a lot of reports of broken bolts on these boards As you have read. I think that there is a sticky thread at the top of one of the forums on this topic. I decided against using any product that would require me to tackle those bolts. Others have heated those bolts and had no issues. Still others claim that they heated the bolts and still had issues.

remote or common? I’d say that it happens enough to be a significant concern.

Sponsored

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
There are a lot of reports of broken bolts on these boards As you have read. I think that there is a sticky thread at the top of one of the forums on this topic. I decided against using any product that would require me to tackle those bolts. Others have heated those bolts and had no issues. Still others claim that they heated the bolts and still had issues.

remote or common? I’d say that it happens enough to be a significant concern.
Not to mention that the solution seems to involve invasive surgery to get to the broken part.

Craigzjeep

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray
Occupation
Telco Installer, retired. Current job drinking beer and yard work expert.
I've read multiple threads about front body bolts breaking when installing sliders. Is this a likely issue, or a remote one?
I had to loosen one on each side last week for new rock sliders install and had no issues.

Ruri

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD, Gen 2 Raptor, 997.1 Turbo, F90 Competition
Occupation
Not FDIC
Just get frame mounted sliders and you don’t have to worry about it.
Yup I installed my frame mounted sliders last week from White Knuckle Off Road.

I wouldn’t want the weight of my rig pressing on the aluminum cab anyways.

JeepSmash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Yup I installed my frame mounted sliders last week from White Knuckle Off Road.

I wouldn’t want the weight of my rig pressing on the aluminum cab anyways.
nice. I haven’t seen those ones yet. I did the LOD signature sliders.

Sponsored

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
I didn't break any either, front 2 bolts were a MFer though.

Those 6 bolts wooped my arse lol.

Just don't use air tools to take them off

Brian0128

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 Toyota TRD PRO
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve yet to break one but it’s on my mind anytime I have to loosen them for RSE step installs.

We also use an induction heater to soften the lock tight too

Brett
I got ours off without breaking one but I have a question about using the induction heater. I’ve got a mini ductor induction heater but I was worried that I would just heat the head of the bolt up and the heat wouldn’t get to the loctite. When you apply heat to the head using the coil how far does the heat travel down the bolt?

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
Interesting you mention that. My 2018 Rubicon was an early build on January 3, 2018 but never hit the dealer until late in April. By brother is an engineer at Ram/Dodge (35 years) and researched why it took so long after completion to hit the dealer. Front body bolt was broken during assembly and at the end when it goes into the dread "J" status it was driven out to mingle with over 2,000 other jeeps that had some kind of defect to be addressed before shipping. What is interesting is that over 200 in the to be repaired inventory had a broken body bolt. So yes, early on many never made it out of the factory without a body bolt incident.

I've read where several users have broken a bolt screwing around with the sliders. I believe based on the first hand knowledge I have....proceed with the possibility of breaking a body bolt.

C

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
I got ours off without breaking one but I have a question about using the induction heater. I’ve got a mini ductor induction heater but I was worried that I would just heat the head of the bolt up and the heat wouldn’t get to the loctite. When you apply heat to the head using the coil how far does the heat travel down the bolt?
I do it a couple times and eventually the heat makes it way to the locktite. Works great, just takes a little while. I genuinely dread messing with them because if one breaks, any profitability for the day is gone. Im very clear about the risks and repair procedures if one is to break so the customer isn’t caught off guard or im stuck with an invasive repair on my dime

Brett

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
just removed mine to do the rusty's sliders, did not break them took my time with the fronts as they have red loctite on them. Was able to do it by going nice and slow with a breaker bar, had to put my whole body into but they came out. From what i read it seams mostly those that broke them used impact tools which i could see they are in there good.
Sponsored