Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
After taking my Jeep to Ourisman Jeep where I bought it, they took pictures and then, since they do not have a body shop the ask me to take it up the street to the Ourisman Chevy that does have a body shop and they are certified to work on aluminum and have a designated shop just for aluminum. They provided me with a quote that is replacing the affected hinges with new painted hinges. The guy said it would be cheaper to buy the new hinges than the hours that it would take to sand down the current hinges and repaint. I am now waiting for jeeps approval for this quote
Think they are about $28 each. Hope they come with the anti-corrosion primer.
Sponsored

TBULL52

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
$28 is exactly what is on the quote. I hope that since they are certified aluminum repair shop they know that they will account for the need to have an anti-corrosion primer. I will ask the question when i go to drop it off.

madscientist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Wrangler 3.6 AT
If you read back some posts you will see how Jeep consulted with Audi who had consulted with NASA on handling aluminum on vehicles because it is problems they have run into and still have. Read the post from an Army helicopter mechanic and the problem they have with aluminum. Go google other car manufacturers that use aluminum like Ford F-150. Try researching an issue instead of just making dumb statements.
All three of my other vehicles have aluminum bodies. Audi, Ford, and Range Rover.... none have ANY corrosion, anywhere. The Audi is 7 years old and not garaged. Maybe I'm repeatedly very lucky, but then I guess Jeep could be reliably unlucky...
The bottom line is that Jeep obviously has a problem in either their process or coming out of one of their suppliers. They need to investigate the problem, identify the root cause, and take appropriate actions. If they are going to use new tech then they need to perfect their application of that tech.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
All three of my other vehicles have aluminum bodies. Audi, Ford, and Range Rover.... none have ANY corrosion, anywhere. The Audi is 7 years old and not garaged. Maybe I'm repeatedly very lucky, but then I guess Jeep could be reliably unlucky...
The bottom line is that Jeep obviously has a problem in either their process or coming out of one of their suppliers. They need to investigate the problem, identify the root cause, and take appropriate actions. If they are going to use new tech then they need to perfect their application of that tech.
Poor argument. Why haven't the other manufacturers perfected it? Most of the vehicles don't have a problem. They may eventually just like steel body parts did for decades. Why haven't the suppliers of military helicopters perfected it?

Here's a quote from a Range Rover forum:
On my Range Rover Classic, I have the usual paint bubbling and white aluminium corrosion mainly at the bottom of the doors. Sound familiar.

People just need to accept that sometimes things happen to all vehicle makes but not necessarily all vehicles.

UtahDirt

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punk'n Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
Nice I joined this WTF club today. Bubbles on both left doors. My dealer estimate with blending Mojito $1800. 100 % warranty. Painting the whole Side to blend. Dealer has done 4 in the last month. Dealer said under 3/36 Jeep says under 5yr/unlimited mileage corrosion. Dealer says Jeep pushes to replace door panel, dealer said screw you welding aluminum never turns out like factory. I’ll wait and see who wins. Can’t tease my Ford buddies now.

Sponsored

UtahDirt

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punk'n Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
Never
Only way that's true in the Northeast is if they are parked in the winter, Have you looked underneath?

wranglerguyman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Just got back from a dealer visit and judging by their reactions, I think this is very common. They told me I am out of basic warranty (obviously), but then they said it should be covered by the corrosion warranty. I booked an appointment for Monday, they pretty much guaranteed it'd go through.

I guess we can say that because of the nature of aluminum panels, the corrosion warranty will kick in on surface corrosion, and not be reliant on the corrosion to go through the panel.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hi @UtahDirt, @wranglerguyman, @TBULL52,

If any of you are in need of additional support while your Jeep is in service, please send our team a private message.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

UtahDirt

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punk'n Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

madscientist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Wrangler 3.6 AT
Never

Only way that's true in the Northeast is if they are parked in the winter, Have you looked underneath?
Believe it. All our vehicles are driven thru the salt and brine (an believe me, our good Governor brines when the sun is shining). We're not running these cars thru the car wash every few weeks either. There is no corrosion on the RR or Audi bodies or frames. The Ford has a steel frame with aluminum body-- the body is perfect, the frame gets brushed and touched-up every spring wherever I find minor surface rust. None of these vehicles

madscientist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Wrangler 3.6 AT
Poor argument. Why haven't the other manufacturers perfected it? Most of the vehicles don't have a problem. They may eventually just like steel body parts did for decades. Why haven't the suppliers of military helicopters perfected it?

Here's a quote from a Range Rover forum:
On my Range Rover Classic, I have the usual paint bubbling and white aluminium corrosion mainly at the bottom of the doors. Sound familiar.

People just need to accept that sometimes things happen to all vehicle makes but not necessarily all vehicles.
Its fair criticism... we don't know the actual failure rate and this thread is focused on corrosion. One fact that we can hang our hat on is the technical bulletin pertaining to the hood corrosion. That is an indicator of a reproducible problem known to the manufacturer.

Glad you brought up RR, I am a member on two forums and took a peek at what owners were reporting. I found a few complaints, including the one you picked-up on google. Most were for steel panels but a few were related to aluminum panels. But all were for earlier model vehicles. I found no complaints on the new gen models. I also searched my audi forum and didn't find a thread like this one. Again this is anecdotal, but this Bubbles thread is unique.

I think Jeep is still learning how to use this tech. "Perfect" is unrealistic, but 1 ppm is the goal for six sigma mfg. Maybe Jeep will get there in a few years.

Browns19872

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Here’s a update for you guys. I dropped my Jeep off 4 days ago to the Autobody shop and just got it back. They replaced my door and so far everything is done correct. The paint matches and the panels were put on properly. Going to see how it holds up over time. Good luck to all with this issue.

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
Here’s a update for you guys. I dropped my Jeep off 4 days ago to the Autobody shop and just got it back. They replaced my door and so far everything is done correct. The paint matches and the panels were put on properly. Going to see how it holds up over time. Good luck to all with this issue.
Excellent news! Maybe I should have them do my repair. Are they in S Florida?

Considering how easy the doors are to remove, I wish the dealeship would just give me a set off an Ocean Blue Wrangler on their lot. lol

Browns19872

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Excellent news! Maybe I should have them do my repair. Are they in S Florida?

Considering how easy the doors are to remove, I wish the dealeship would just give me a set off an Ocean Blue Wrangler on their lot. lol
Ya I don’t understand why Jeep doesn’t just send them with the paint already on them at least, so we don’t have to worry about the paint matching. But yes it was repaired in south Florida.
Sponsored