Roam sidestep Rust

Mid-life Wrangler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
Buying the Roam steps turned out to be the biggest frustration and most disappointing addition that I made to my Jeep. It was a complete waste of money.
Sponsored

Dzwart06

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Buying the Roam steps turned out to be the biggest frustration and most disappointing addition that I made to my Jeep. It was a complete waste of money.
I hear you. I seen the design and was almost identical to the ones I created for my old Mitsubishi. And they functioned great, looked great and I couldn’t wait to put them on, I actually bought them before my Jeep ever arrived and was the first mod. It will also be the first mod I ever had to redo on either of my trail vehicles. So disappointed, I used to rave to everyone to get them they were the best. Now when people point out all the great stuff roam makes. I point out the “great rust” on mine.

Dano36

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red Rubicon, 2016 Torch Red Corvette, 2018 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Whatever it takes.
It was threads like this that steered me to LoD. Six months in, they look brand new.

FlashGordon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR - Billet Silver, 2017 Grand Cherokee Altitude
Really like the appearance and the Roam MK3 frame mounts look to be high quality but all the issues people are posting is concerning. Can people confirm they seeing rust on the newest MK3 versions with the updated e-coating? Also are all these issues on the painted or powder coated versions? People with the bed liner finish seeing the same rust issues?

Dzwart06

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Really like the appearance and the Roam MK3 frame mounts look to be high quality but all the issues people are posting is concerning. Can people confirm they seeing rust on the newest MK3 versions with the updated e-coating? Also are all these issues on the painted or powder coated versions? People with the bed liner finish seeing the same rust issues?
Mine are MK3 and mine are not as rusted out all over as some have, but definitely started rusting along the hard edges where the steps are welded to the actual slider body.

Sponsored

greenerobnmu

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I have the latest version of the body mount. They are bed lined. Rust coming out of every seem. The inside of these is solid rust. On paper @ROAM makes great products. The problem is in the real world they are pure junk. I truly feel bad for anyone that wastes their money on their products.

JeffK

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Ram 2500 5.9 2019 JLU Rubicon
I have seen these on so many jeeps in the forums. I was about to pull the trigger in them. Just read through all 18 pages. definitely going to go another route. Maybe LOD Destroyer or wait till they have the Armor Lite one piece extruded aluminum. Thanks for the heads up!!

Mid-life Wrangler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
I have seen these on so many jeeps in the forums. I was about to pull the trigger in them. Just read through all 18 pages. definitely going to go another route. Maybe LOD Destroyer or wait till they have the Armor Lite one piece extruded aluminum. Thanks for the heads up!!
Yes, avoid Roam like they avoid customer service. Haven’t heard any complaints about LOD.

FlashGordon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR - Billet Silver, 2017 Grand Cherokee Altitude
I am still torn on what brand to go with as I said in my previous post as I like the appearance of ROAM and have a buddy with these and he isn't experiencing any issues with rust (MK3 Frame Mount e-coated). His are also Line-X finish.

I did notice they have updated their website at some point and reads that if you want the e-coating rust resistance you need the more expensive frame mounted MK3 rails vs the body mounted side steps.

From their website they clearly call this out on the body mount steps:
(For enhanced rust resistance requirement and/or if you live in the Rust Belt, please see our JL Rock Rails instead. The ROAM JL Rock Rails (JL Frame Mounted) are E-Coated and then powdercoated for enhanced rust resistance, as opposed to our JL Side Armor Steps, which are shipped bare metal / with optional powdercoating and/or optional Line-X).

Mid-life Wrangler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
I am still torn on what brand to go with as I said in my previous post as I like the appearance of ROAM and have a buddy with these and he isn't experiencing any issues with rust (MK3 Frame Mount e-coated). His are also Line-X finish.

I did notice they have updated their website at some point and reads that if you want the e-coating rust resistance you need the more expensive frame mounted MK3 rails vs the body mounted side steps.

From their website they clearly call this out on the body mount steps:
(For enhanced rust resistance requirement and/or if you live in the Rust Belt, please see our JL Rock Rails instead. The ROAM JL Rock Rails (JL Frame Mounted) are E-Coated and then powdercoated for enhanced rust resistance, as opposed to our JL Side Armor Steps, which are shipped bare metal / with optional powdercoating and/or optional Line-X).
To each their own. I loved the look of the Roam steps, but when they only offer to sell you upgraded steps (that many others claim rust as well) for an additional $500 as a solution to a known product defect, you are gambling and left hoping that you don’t experience any issues. They certainly do not stand behind their product.

Sponsored

Rubican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JLU
I purchased some from Roam less than a year ago and they are already showing rust. I supposedly purchased the enhanced rust resistant version as well. Waist of money! I have emailed them and they won't return my emails. I will NEVER purchase from Roam again. Avoid them! I'm attaching pictures of the rust coming through from the inside.

IMG_1332.jpg

IMG_1333.jpg

IMG_1334.jpg

IMG_1337.jpg

IMG_1338.jpg

Dzwart06

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Enhanced rust resistant frame mounted MK3 here also. Mine looked the same before they ever seen any salt.

m3lover1

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR, 2007 Yamaha R6
Got mine last...maybe Octoberish - Novemberish? I was "upgraded" to the MK3 rails as I waited a while for those (purchased back in July). I must be one of the lucky ones, as mine have no rusting at all. While I am still happy with them and still love the look of it (although I am jealous whenever I see my uncle's JT with his rockslide steppers), I can't help but also feel disappointed in ROAM just from reading all your experiences and your rusting issues. I really wanted their aluminum front bumper before, but alas like you guys, I will not be buying anything from them anymore.

Recursion

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I guess I was lucky. I Line-X'd mine as soon as they arrived, installed them at least a year ago. And there's no rust that I can see. <shrug>
Sponsored