Rear Corner Body Armor options?

rmcveigh

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Hi there, I'm looking for body armor to protect my rear corners on my JLUR. As best I can tell there is none yet on the market. Did I miss any? Have you seen any coming? Thanks!

-Ryan
Sponsored

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I've looked at that Rusty's body fascia and don't see how it wouldn’t trap mud/small rocks and hold moisture against the body causing earlier rusting. Also not fun having to drill alot of holes in the body like that.

@rmcveigh It would be nice to start seeing rear corner protection like this:
https://www.quadratec.com/products/12525_040X_PG.htm

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
I've looked at that Rusty's body fascia and don't see how it wouldn’t trap mud/small rocks and hold moisture against the body causing earlier rusting. Also not fun having to drill alot of holes in the body like that.

I agree with you on this design trapping small particles, even the pictures on Rusty's website show a small gap on the top corners...Such a gap is inevitable when using nutserts unless the product being fastened is countersunk on the backside to accommodate the thickness of the nutsert lip. However, this could be rectified by using rivets in the blind area on top in lieu of nutserts and bolts/nuts on the bottom area that have open access. Would also be a good idea to apply a layer of clear-bra to the back side to prevent squeaks and or rust.

Years ago on my Blazers I used flush mount lower rocker skids, the manufacturer supplied sheet metal screws (blind area with no access from underneath) but I substituted heavy duty stainless rivets and this worked great. I also applied thin self adhesive clear vinyl (think strips of wide thick vinyl tape, we had no clear-bra) to the back side of the skids-no noise, no trapping of debris and no rust...

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I agree with you on this design trapping small particles, even the pictures on Rusty's website show a small gap on the top corners...Such a gap is inevitable when using nutserts unless the product being fastened is countersunk on the backside to accommodate the thickness of the nutsert lip. However, this could be rectified by using rivets in the blind area on top in lieu of nutserts and bolts/nuts on the bottom area that have open access. Would also be a good idea to apply a layer of clear-bra to the back side to prevent squeaks and or rust.

Years ago on my Blazers I used flush mount lower rocker skids, the manufacturer supplied sheet metal screws (blind area with no access from underneath) but I substituted heavy duty stainless rivets and this worked great. I also applied thin self adhesive clear vinyl (think strips of wide thick vinyl tape, we had no clear-bra) to the back side of the skids-no noise, no trapping of debris and no rust...
I dont see how using rivets are going to stop moisture from getting behind it. I've heard of some people trying to use a rubber gasket around the edges to block stuff...Seems like more of a headache than it's worth if you plan to own the jeep long-term.

Sponsored

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I dont see how using rivets are going to stop moisture from getting behind it. I've heard of some people trying to use a rubber gasket around the edges to block stuff...Seems like more of a headache than it's worth if you plan to own the jeep long-term.

Using nutserts creates a gap due to the thickness of the nutsert lip, it is like putting a washer between two flat pieces of metal and bolting them together...By using rivets you are pulling the two pieces of metal together. I would also clear-bra the backside of the of the over body protection to cushion and further protect from squeaks or debris getting caught between it and the body. All of this depends however on how these pieces fit the contour of the body, always do a preliminary fit before mounting.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Using nutserts creates a gap due to the thickness of the nutsert lip, it is like putting a washer between two flat pieces of metal and bolting them together...By using rivets you are pulling the two pieces of metal together. I would also clear-bra the backside of the of the over body protection to cushion and further protect from squeaks or debris getting caught between it and the body. All of this depends however on how these pieces fit the contour of the body, always do a preliminary fit before mounting.
I understand that rivets would bring it slightly closer to the body....but dont see how it would keep water/mud out. The clear bra sounds like it could help over the flat parts of the body...but there are still about 8 holes drilled that I'm not sure how the clear bra would protect.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I understand that rivets would bring it slightly closer to the body....but dont see how it would keep water/mud out. The clear bra sounds like it could help over the flat parts of the body...but there are still about 8 holes drilled that I'm not sure how the clear bra would protect.

Closed end rivets create a watertight seal, used forever in the marine industry. Also, it goes without saying that whenever you drill through metal that will be exposed you apply some type of corrosion protection to the hole.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Closed end rivets create a watertight seal, used forever in the marine industry. Also, it goes without saying that whenever you drill through metal that will be exposed you apply some type of corrosion protection to the hole.
Sounds like that would work. I may end up plastidipping the body on the side behind rear fenders where my rear bumper doesnt wrap around. I dont think Rusty's fascia would provide legit protection coming off a ledge and is more of an aesthetic piece.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like that would work. I may end up plastidipping the body on the side behind rear fenders where my rear bumper doesnt wrap around. I dont think Rusty's fascia would provide legit protection coming off a ledge and is more of an aesthetic piece.

Agree, I think where Rusty's fascia would be beneficial would be if your rear bumper flexed into the body coming down a ravine...

Sponsored

OP
OP

rmcveigh

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado

Yep, agreed. I’m not endorsing them - was just an option I remembered. Not much more out there.