Sponsored

Buy or Lease - MSRP 43k 2018 Wrangler JL Sahara

wranglerlyfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Good Afternoon All!

Looking for some advice on buying v. leasing. I've read many previous posts but none specifically relate to my situation which is as follows:

MSRP - Black Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL Sticker 43k - Automatic with Infotainment System

I am planning on holding the vehicle for 36-48 months max I can buy for $42,358 including everything with 4,358 down and financing 38k over 60 months at 2% or lease for $455 (tax included) a month for 36 months/ 12k miles with 1 k down which includes first payment.

I barely drive and it appears that after 36 months I can resell this car for anywhere from $28k-$33k.

The Cost of the lease is $16,371 over 36 months. If I buy and resell for the above I can save $3k-$6k dollars, but I am not sure.

What would you advise in the above situation? Thank you!
Sponsored

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I did not even read this. It does not matter.

Bottom line if you can afford to buy it then buy it. The value they hold is crazy.

If you cannot get to a comfortable payment with buying it then lease it.

Edit:

Search the internet and there are articles written about this and other vehicles that make no sense to lease. Wrangler tops the list pretty much.

OP
OP

wranglerlyfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL

Bottom line if you can afford to buy it then buy it. The value they hold is crazy.

Edit:

Search the internet and there are articles written about this and other vehicles that make no sense to lease. Wrangler tops the list pretty much.
Understood, but do you need to hold the wrangler for a certain amount of months to be in the money?

It appears based on your comment that you would always be in the money and not be upside down

OP
OP

wranglerlyfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL

Edit:

Or for a more simple way of putting it - is getting the car for $1400 below invoice or 3% below a good buying deal?

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Or for a more simple way of putting it - is getting the car for $1400 below invoice or 3% below a good buying deal?
You will not be upside down in a Wrangler unless you put nothing down and traded it in the following week maybe. I assume you would have one for at least a year?

3% is not bad but many are able to get their dealer or find another dealer to go 5% below invoice. There are threads on this.

Sponsored

Grindhouseknives

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Bright White JLU Sport S
If you are looking to flip the jeep at the end of the lease and maybe make a little money then you would want to look at the residual. I’ve seen some crazy residuals at 80% or higher which lowers the lease payment for sure but you’d be hard pressed to make some money flipping the car at the end of the lease with that like of residual.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link

Edit:

It's not that simple. These articles like to generalize. Every situation is different.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Good Afternoon All!

Looking for some advice on buying v. leasing. I've read many previous posts but none specifically relate to my situation which is as follows:

MSRP - Black Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL Sticker 43k - Automatic with Infotainment System

I am planning on holding the vehicle for 36-48 months max I can buy for $42,358 including everything with 4,358 down and financing 38k over 60 months at 2% or lease for $455 (tax included) a month for 36 months/ 12k miles with 1 k down which includes first payment.

I barely drive and it appears that after 36 months I can resell this car for anywhere from $28k-$33k.

The Cost of the lease is $16,371 over 36 months. If I buy and resell for the above I can save $3k-$6k dollars, but I am not sure.

What would you advise in the above situation? Thank you!
If you are really driving low miles and getting out in 3 years then a lease could make sense. But you really need to do the math and make sure you are getting a good deal. And like another poster said look at your residual and do the math.

I looked at another lease deal for someone and the 12,000 miles/year was he worst deal. Pm me if you want me to look at the lease details.

mcclain

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU - White
I bought a used 2012 JK 2 years ago for 23k from an individual, When I sold it to get my JL, I had sold my hard top, and bought the premium soft top for it, sold the hard top for 1500, bought the soft top from someone who had never put it on their jeep, still in all the wrap for 800. When I sold the JK 2 years later I got 24k for it. When I went to buy the JL, the salesman tried to talk me into doing the lease, but when you look at the residuals etc if you have a little bit to put down, that jeep will still be close to what you paid for it in 3 years, not only that but when you add on mods, ie: tires, lift, etc etc, there is a strong chance you will get all that money out of it as well as long as you take great care of it. If this is your first jeep, you maybe surprised how much you fall in love with that thing and want to keep it longer than originally anticipated, if you are in a lease, you will have to refinance out the balance at the end, and it can end up being an endless payment

OP
OP

wranglerlyfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
If you are really driving low miles and getting out in 3 years then a lease could make sense. But you really need to do the math and make sure you are getting a good deal. And like another poster said look at your residual and do the math.

I looked at another lease deal for someone and the 12,000 miles/year was he worst deal. Pm me if you want me to look at the lease details.
Going to pm you now

As for lease v. buy - my concern is more of the total cost of leasing vs buying after 36 months because that is when the bumper to bumper warranty runs out. I am not looking to make money off the lease just looking to pay the least amount.

My numbers show that selling the car at 36 months with 20k-30k miles is worth $28k minimum which is 3k total cheaper than leasing. As a first time leaser/buyer tho I am not sure if $28k is accurate and therefore looking for advice.

I have no issues with paying more now to purchase if I will have a total cost that is less than leasing for 36 months if that makes sense...

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Going to pm you now

As for lease v. buy - my concern is more of the total cost of leasing vs buying after 36 months because that is when the bumper to bumper warranty runs out. I am not looking to make money off the lease just looking to pay the least amount.

My numbers show that selling the car at 36 months with 20k-30k miles is worth $28k minimum which is 3k total cheaper than leasing. As a first time leaser/buyer tho I am not sure if $28k is accurate and therefore looking for advice.

I have no issues with paying more now to purchase if I will have a total cost that is less than leasing for 36 months if that makes sense...
You can still sell at the end of a lease and capture some equity. Not nearly as much as if you buy but you will have paid less too. You just have to do the math and see.

I usually assume you are going to get 80% of MSRP after 3 years.
Sponsored