First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
24 days is a curious number. Because as long as you are under 24 months and 24k miles, at 30 days of being in their service, the lemon law kicks in and you can trade that puppy in for a brand new one. AND they have to pay you back for all of your aftermarket stuff and reimburse you for interest on your loan.

Georgia, right? Read up.
http://www.consumer.ga.gov/about-us/statutes-we-enforce/ga-lemon-law

I'm no lawyer, but I think you have a case. 4wd was definitely its intended purpose.

You could politely tell them that you'll be taking them to court over this per the lemon law, unless they'd like to initiate a good-will buyback. And present them with the number you'd be willing to accept. Don't let them control the conversation.

In court you would receive a prorated value of your vehicle based on the mileage when you first brought the vehicle in for service for this issue (even if it was only 10 miles back when you first reported it) prorated over the first 120k miles of the vehicles like. so 10/120,000 = most of your money back.

And the value is the amount you paid for the vehicle including taxes and fees and ANY aftermarket items you added to it. Of course they may have the option of just unbolting those and handing them back to you. It depends on your state.

Good luck!
Please stop with the reckless legal advice unless you are a lawyer. Once you start the process all polite and not-so polite discussion will be over at the dealer. You can spend lots of money with us legal folks and in this case you will be two years and need a miracle. There has been too many words in this thread that can come back to bite the OP. If it's fixed....move on.
Sponsored

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR Diesel, '17 Cherokee, '16 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Retired - most of the time anyway
If 37's void a warranty, then why does Mopar (FCA) sell a kit to carry 37's?

https://www.mopar.com/content/dam/mopar/pdf/performance-catalogs/jeepperformancepartscatalog.pdf

From the Catalog:

jeepperformancepartscatalog 16.jpg
My dealer told me that if you buy FCA parts and have them installed at the dealership t won't void your warranty, BUT, if you buy aftermarket parts not sold and approved by FCA and install them yourself, FCA can refuse warranty claims. Sure you can go to court to try to appeal but they have more money than you do an they will fight you. Also if the dealer claims that the warranty has been cancelled by FCA, your VIN number is in the system and going to another dealer will not change that. Sorry but all manufacturer's are the same when it comes to aftermarket modifications, not just Jeep. I think the issue is that there are too many substandard aftermarket parts out there that are installed by unqualified owners in order to save money. It never pays to do it on the cheap. One issue for you is that you went to 37s and never changed the gear ratio to compensate. Bigger tires will cause undue stress to the drive train and suspension. It's not hard for them to prove that.

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
My dealer told me that if you buy FCA parts and have them installed at the dealership t won't void your warranty, BUT, if you buy aftermarket parts not sold and approved by FCA and install them yourself, FCA can refuse warranty claims. Sure you can go to court to try to appeal but they have more money than you do an they will fight you. Also if the dealer claims that the warranty has been cancelled by FCA, your VIN number is in the system and going to another dealer will not change that. Sorry but all manufacturer's are the same when it comes to aftermarket modifications, not just Jeep. I think the issue is that there are too many substandard aftermarket parts out there that are installed by unqualified owners in order to save money. It never pays to do it on the cheap. One issue for you is that you went to 37s and never changed the gear ratio to compensate. Bigger tires will cause undue stress to the drive train and suspension. It's not hard for them to prove that.
Very sensible. Remember, for every legit case fought from a dealer, there are 3 non-legit cases. They have the team and know how to delay, discourage and in most cases....win.

OP
OP
Stormin’ Moorman

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Please stop with the reckless legal advice unless you are a lawyer. Once you start the process all polite and not-so polite discussion will be over at the dealer. You can spend lots of money with us legal folks and in this case you will be two years and need a miracle. There has been too many words in this thread that can come back to bite the OP. If it's fixed....move on.
You've contributed nothing but half-brained bullshit to this conversation. Everything you've speculated on is wrong. As i stated before, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Levi8than

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon
I just left the dealer 5 minutes ago...
Lol, I wish dealers worked this way dude but they don't ...
Any aftermarket parts installed by the dealer prior to final delivery are covered by the manufacturer warranty. So yeah, that 80k jeep has a full factory warranty, regardless of if their installed aftermarket parts caused a failure.

Then you're still free to install aftermarket parts and your warranty is only void IF the aftermarket part caused the failure.

https://apb-law.com/understanding-magnuson-moss-act-relates-aftermarket-car-parts/

Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase

NBB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
I love posts suggesting in these kinds of threads to hire a lawyer and sue - for a mere few thousand or whatever - maybe it's even a new car. Lol. Good luck with that. Keep citing all those laws. You have so obviously never in your entire life had to actually hire a lawyer and sue someone.

So I take it some gears were changed and that's the point of contention? This is easy - the guy who swapped the gears gets to fix the sensor / computer issue. Bring it to them.

Reads to me like you need to put the old gears back in, or reprogram the powertrain module to accept the changes.

EDIT: I guess as above in post #177 - I was right.

Last edited:

Hootbro

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 2022 JT RUBICON
It is a made up scale calculated by JD Power. Without knowing how it’s calculated or the sample sizes, it is impossible to know from here if those differences are statistically significant or not. They may or may not be.

But Jeep dealers have sat at the bottom, or near the bottom of those rankings, continuously, for the past several years. So the data shows a clear pattern not flattering to Jeep.

Here are, at random, 2013 and 2016
1591035527051.jpeg

1591035420825.jpeg
Y
Let me try and hopefully get my point I was trying to make across.

I work with 15 other engineers. Performance metrics could be made to rank each engineer from #1 to #15. While it would be a true statement to say engineer #15 is the worst in the group, it does not mean he is a bad engineer because just having a seat at the table with the rest of us shows he is in the game and being productive, just not as productive as the other 14 engineers especially if the delta between #1 and #15 is 8% less effective. Now if the delta goes to like 25% or more, engineer #15 is looking for a job.

The same analogy can be made for these customer service rankings and using your supplied charts shows Jeep is still in the game with just a 8% delta from being #1. Too just say "Jeep is the worst" or "bottom of the barrel" without understanding context is disingenuous.

The better point could be made is if Jeep customer service has gotten better over time? You charts actually show that based on the 1000 point scale. The other problem though is everybody else has also gotten better over time also and Jeep still relatively remains within about the same delta from the #1 place holder.

Lastly, I would point out if this was a discussion on actual quality by brand, those charts would pretty much flip on ranking for the most part with Jeep being middle of the pack and what is vaulted up there for customer service with the Mini brand shows they build a way lesser quality product with Buick barley just being above average and not the leader.

Last edited:

NCIC105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
CONCLUSION: I hate to ruin a good ole’ fashion OP bashing but I fixed my Jeep and there are a few on here that care about that.

First of all, this forum made the fix possible. That’s super important for everyone to grasp. No less than 7 mechanics looked at this Jeep over 24 days and they couldn’t fix it. Or even have a clue. But a forum member who i have never met sent me a PM and set me on course for a fix. Thank you for that.

I won’t rehash the issue, plenty of people have done that on here already.

So here’s the heart of the issue. My Jeep was throwing codes saying that my speed sensors were reporting inconsistent speeds from the Tcase and the ABS sensors.... which was erroneous. But it was persistent. This prevented the 4wd from engaging. The PCM and TCM were flashed and they kept popping up.

The fix. I disconnected both batteries for an hour. Then I re-installed the Tazer cleared codes again and the put in gear and tire size. Restarted about 5 times and it’s good to go. 24 days in the shop for a hard reset.

i drove 300 miles today and no problems. Tomorrow I’m going wheeling in the mountains with @GeorgiaGray with my cobbed together Jeep with no warranty on tractor tires put together by a fake master mechanic. All the haters can suck a fat Richard.
Glad to hear this. Was wondering what the fix would be. Enjoy your wheeling. Jeep On

Sponsored

NCIC105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
If you remove the tazer they see nothing except a residual U0168 code for the secure gateway communication break from before you do the full reboot after its been married. That one you can clear but they can still see it historically - I don't think any user side tools can clear the historical codes.
even if you clear code and unmarry it they can still see?

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
One issue for you is that you went to 37s and never changed the gear ratio to compensate. Bigger tires will cause undue stress to the drive train and suspension. It's not hard for them to prove that.
OP has regeared, and has since solved this issue. The PCM needed a reset, which the dealership should have been more than capable of doing.

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You've contributed nothing but half-brained bullshit to this conversation. Everything you've speculated on is wrong. As i stated before, you have no idea what you're talking about.
Really, let me point out again for your obvious learning impairment that my jeep isn’t cobbled up and my “master mechanic” would have fixed what he started. This whole thread is bullshit and based on not taking accountability for your problem. It is obvious that you don’t have a sense of reality. Look at all of the other contributors that state the same case as I did. By the way, a conversation has to have two contributors not just one who listens to no one.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The same analogy can be made for these customer service rankings and using your supplied charts shows Jeep is still in the game with just a 8% delta from being #1. Too just say "Jeep is the worst" or "bottom of the barrel" without understanding context is disingenuous.

Lastly, I would point out if this was a discussion on actual quality by brand, those charts would pretty much flip on ranking for the most part with Jeep being middle of the pack and what is vaulted up there for customer service with the Mini brand shows they build a way lesser quality product with Buick barley just being above average and not the leader.
Below are similar rankings but for product quality after 3 years of ownership. Notice that Jeep is still well below industry average while Buick remains in the top 3. Mini does fall quite a bit in quality relative to dealer service, but it is still well above Jeep.

Jeep Wrangler JL FCA just cancelled my warranty because of "aftermarket stuff" 1591059895019

There is a relationship between product quality and dealer service: the more a vehicle breaks down, the greater that chances our interactions with the dealer will go off the rails. Part of the reason Buick ranks high on both metrics is because its vehicles tend to have fewer issues to start with.

Again, statistically speaking, there is no way to determine if 8% delta is significant or not. To determine statistical significance we need to know (a) the variability in the data, within each dealer and across brands, and (2) the sample sizes JD Power used to calculate those scores.

Jeep dealers are "in the game" partly because of state franchise laws that gives inordinate protections to auto dealers. For instance, the only Jeep dealer we have in this town is simply atrocious. I personally had unsavory exchanges with them. Online reviews give them a paltry 2.5/5. And that is being generous IMO. But we have few choices if we want a Jeep.

There are good and bad dealers of every brand, no doubt. And Jeep is no exception. But what the JD Power scores reveal is that overall, Jeep has more bad dealers than most brands.

If you got a good dealer, consider yourself very lucky.

Last edited:

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I love posts suggesting in these kinds of threads to hire a lawyer and sue - for a mere few thousand or whatever - maybe it's even a new car. Lol. Good luck with that. Keep citing all those laws. You have so obviously never in your entire life had to actually hire a lawyer and sue someone.

So I take it some gears were changed and that's the point of contention? This is easy - the guy who swapped the gears gets to fix the sensor / computer issue. Bring it to them.

Reads to me like you need to put the old gears back in, or reprogram the powertrain module to accept the changes.

EDIT: I guess as above in post #177 - I was right.
Thanks for these words of wisdom, unfortunately some folks won’t listen.
Sponsored