How about a JLU XL?!

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
Yep. My vote -- Gladiator 2 door with a bed long enough for dirt bikes. Diesel. Lottery win so I can afford it.
Sponsored

Dash68

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Chevy S10 ZR2 '12 JKUR '17 GC TH
Consumer demand and production cost.
That is a very vague response. Do you have marketing research data and production cost to support your claim, specifically, regarding 2 door pickups that you can share with us folks that would be interested in buying a 2 door Gladiator?

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
That is a very vague response. Do you have marketing research data and production cost to support your claim, specifically, regarding 2 door pickups that you can share with us folks that would be interested in buying a 2 door Gladiator?
My claim? Lol. I asked if they would do it. It’s a cool concept. Being a for-profit corporation, if the demand outweighed the cost of production of such a model, they would surely do it. No doubt someone on the Jeep design team has been bugging his team managers about it and gets shut down.

Sponsored

Dash68

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Chevy S10 ZR2 '12 JKUR '17 GC TH
My claim? Lol. I asked if they would do it. It’s a cool concept. Being a for-profit corporation, if the demand outweighed the cost of production of such a model, they would surely do it. No doubt someone on the Jeep design team has been bugging his team managers about it and gets shut down.
Okay, I understand, just speculation.

Jeep could do several configurations with the JL and JT platforms, a smaller truck on the JL frame and an JLXL on the JT frame. Seems like it would be less development cost versus developing a whole new platform like they are doing for the Grand Wagoneer.

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR Diesel, '17 Cherokee, '16 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Retired - most of the time anyway
While the Gladiator is a capable off road vehicle, it can't match up to a JL or JLU. The wheelbase and overhang in the back limits the places it can reasonable go. Great for an overland vehicle but not so good for some of those trails in Moab.

Jeep has been saying for years it was going to come out with a Wagoneer which would be an upscale Grand Cherokee more on the size lines of say an Escalade with a sticker of around $100K. It hasn't happened yet and there is too much chatter about a 2 door Gladiator to think about a stretched JL.

Jeep Wrangler JL How about a JLU XL?! TJ Limo in the Bahamas

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
What does a 2-dr gladiator have to do with a 2-dr JL?
The blue concept that I posted earlier in this thread began life as a 2 dr JL and was completely modified to become what it is in those pictures. There’s a video floating around that has live footage of the vehicle as well as interviews with the team that built it. The concept was INCREDIBLY expensive.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Jeep has been saying for years it was going to come out with a Wagoneer which would be an upscale Grand Cherokee more on the size lines of say an Escalade with a sticker of around $100K. It hasn't happened yet and there is too much chatter about a 2 door Gladiator to think about a stretched JL.
What’s below is from 2018 and no doubt most have seen it. There’s a model in the lineup that hasn’t made it’s debut just yet. Feel free to speculate...

4F56FD62-D5C3-4031-AD6B-2088B8872715.jpeg

Buzz11

First Name
Buzz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLR, 2001 Wrangler TJ Sport
I suspect it truly boils down to consumer demand/profit ... there used to be 2 door pickups from all manufactures. Now there are pretty much none, at least in the US. Why? I think it's safe to assume its because not enough people were buying them. Sort of like Ford no longer makes 4 door sedans. The market has shifted.

I personally love the 2 door look, but as someone else mentioned 2 door wranglers make up a small percentage of Wranglers sold, it's hard to imagine there is a huge demand for 2 door pickups ... even if they look great.

Sponsored

lookitsadam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
I'm all in if they ever make a 2 door Gladiator.

I don't think it would be too difficult to do either. With all these shops like Rubitrux and SoFlo Jeeps who do pick up and 6x6 conversions I hope somebody makes a kit to turn a JLU in to a 2 door Gladiator.

You can already order almost all the parts from Jeep (Gladiator bed, rear cab panels, new hard top to modify) and just graft them to a chopped JLU. Maybe I'll start learning how to weld and just do it myself :giggle:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The data is publicly available for anyone to see.

2-door vehicles are out; it’s all about 4-doors these days:
  • Sales of 2-door Wrangler are now 15% of total sales, and shrinking.
  • All the growth in pickup sales have come from 4-door versions.
    • Tacoma, Frontier, Colorado sales are, at best, 80% 4-door/20% 2-door. Sales of full-size pickups follow a similar pattern. I still haven’t seen a 2-door Ram 1500 DT (the new one). Ranger and Gladiator didn’t even bother with a 2-door version.
  • Things are more extreme with cars. For those few models that offer(ed) a 4-door and a 2-door, like Honda Civic and Accord, sales ratio was 90% 4-door/10% 2-door. Honda killed the Accord 2-door a couple years back.
  • To add insult to injury, sports coupe brands like Lamborghini and Ferrari are adding 4-door SUVs as a means to stay relevant on the market
  • Fiat just pulled the plug on 124 Spider due to low global sales.
Good luck finding a product planner willing to make the business case to add a 2-door version of anything.

Sahara 2-door is already gone. At this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if the 2-door Wrangler completely disappears when JM comes out.

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
The data is publicly available for anyone to see.

2-door vehicles are out; it’s all about 4-doors these days:
  • Sales of 2-door Wrangler are now 15% of total sales, and shrinking.
  • All the growth in pickup sales have come from 4-door versions.
    • Tacoma, Frontier, Colorado sales are, at best, 80% 4-door/20% 2-door. Sales of full-size pickups follow a similar pattern. I still haven’t seen a 2-door Ram 1500 DT (the new one). Ranger and Gladiator didn’t even bother with a 2-door version.
  • Things are more extreme with cars. For those few models that offer(ed) a 4-door and a 2-door, like Honda Civic and Accord, sales ratio was 90% 4-door/10% 2-door. Honda killed the Accord 2-door a couple years back.
  • To add insult to injury, sports coupe brands like Lamborghini and Ferrari are adding 4-door SUVs as a means to stay relevant on the market
  • Fiat just pulled the plug on 124 Spider due to low global sales.
Good luck finding a product planner willing to make the business case to add a 2-door version of anything.

At this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if the 2-door Wrangler disappears when JM comes out.
I would be. I think Jeep will always keep its icon. Or at least hope.
Sponsored