Sponsored

Hertz liquidating JL Wranglers - Are these a good deal?

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
Be sure to confirm what you're looking at is four wheel drive. We were given a JK loaner by a shop in Sevierville TN, secured from a local rental franchisee, and it was 2 wheel drive. May be only available through fleet sales, - rental companies.
Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

a wrangler is probably the last vehicle you'd want to buy from a rental company.

i would normally say hipo cars as well but i think cars like the Z06 and the special Camaro are $$ to rent and likely rented by more mature people who will respect the vehicle a little more. its not just some shitbox. that Hendrix Camaro is sick.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Be sure to confirm what you're looking at is four wheel drive. We were given a JK loaner by a shop in Sevierville TN, secured from a local rental franchisee, and it was 2 wheel drive. May be only available through fleet sales, - rental companies.
They don't make the JL in 2wd, but they did in the JK :(

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
Let me put it this way.

You would NOT, and I repeat, WOULD NOT want to buy any car that I rent after I was done with them.

The things I do to them.. oh boy!:giggle:

Yea, fair warning. Just don’t!
That makes me really curious-
that rental back in post #35, how did you manage to break the turn signal lever, seat adjustment lever, AND scuff the tail light?

Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
That makes me really curious-
that rental back in post #35, how did you manage to break the turn signal lever, seat adjustment lever, AND scuff the tail light?

it ifs the red one, then thats the one he drove the hell out of.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I worked for Enterprise for a brief stint after college. Sold 2 of their rental cars....

Would NEVER recommend someone buying a used rental car (and didn't in the two instances wher the customers wanted to buy them). If you saw how we drove them and how poorly the maintenance was followed as well as unscrupulous Branch Managers (and AMs) who would falsify the records, you'd never consider one.
I had a similar experience here but with Hertz.

The cars were constantly rented well past their maintenance due schedules. Not to mention all the people smoking in them..

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal

Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
Not to mention I know myself and all the employees drove them like they stole them, lol.

i gotta say this. when my 07 gc was ready to be picked up from the shop. the rental guy drove me to the shop in a mini cooper (the one i rented and hated). he drove it like he was in a rally race, cornering / skidding around every turns and using the e brake and tranny excessivly. after that ride, i'm sure i left a mark in the passenger seat because i had none left to $h!t out.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
You would NOT, and I repeat, WOULD NOT want to buy any car that I rent after I was done with them.
You sound so proud of yourself for that lol. WTF?

I've.. actually fixed a thing or two on rental cars before. Like loose trim pieces lol.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
Doesnt look like a great deal to me, 20K miles , probably for a few grand more with current rebates, you could buy a brand new one.
If only this were true, and in some places it might be true, but not in my state. I have searched far and wide (within 500 miles at least) and have not found any deals. There are lots of dealers with a lot of inventory advertised for $32k or $33k, but I learned long ago that the dealer with a lot of inventory and low advertised prices is not selling cars, and therefore their advertised prices are fiction. We talk about "doc fee" but current dealers are much more blatant than that. Some of the dealers with low advertised prices don't tell you about the $3000 addendum they put on all of their cars for nitrogen in the tires, wheel locks, floor mats, tint, etc. Non-negotiable. The dealers that don't do that have higher advertised prices. What I've found in vehicles that are similar to the Hertz offerings are real prices of about $37k for just a Wrangler Sport. I found one today advertised for $34k, completely stripped with hand crank windows. When I inquire about the off the lot price it goes up to $35k and that is only if you finance through them. They claim that they are busy today and I've seen a lot of listings disappear over the past week so people are buying. Maybe they don't have to work so hard to sell them now at inflated prices, and when those are gone people will be buying the overpriced used cars.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
That's exactly what we did with them.....ebrake slides around the parking lot/building especially after having them washed where all the water collected on the pavement was good times. But yeah...rally car is the best description on how these things got driven on the way to pick up customers or transfer cars from one branch to another.
My first “real” job out of high school was working as a car salesman. It was meant to be short-lived as I took it as a summer job and nothing more.

There was an employee there who made it his mission to have every single vehicle that he put a customer in do crazy 8’s with the parking brake. And he would do it as part of their demo when they weren’t expecting it and without warning.

He would also scare the shit out of them and oddly enough, these idiots were so impressed with the handling that the sedan/minivan/sports car/truck that they were considering could handle an emergency maneuver with such ease, that most would buy them.

We knew he had done a demo in the vehicles that he hadn’t sold because there was a difference in off the lot vs off the truck. Plus, he had a real, shit eating grin after the test drive, especially when leading customers back in.

he wasn’t the greatest salesman in the dealership but he produced and the dealership looked the other way when it came to his demo tactics. That asshole. LOL

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
My first “real” job out of high school was working as a car salesman. It was meant to be short-lived as I took it as a summer job and nothing more.

There was an employee there who made it his mission to have every single vehicle that he put a customer in do crazy 8’s with the parking brake. And he would do it as part of their demo when they weren’t expecting it and without warning.

He would also scare the shit out of them and oddly enough, these idiots were so impressed with the handling that the sedan/minivan/sports car/truck that they were considering could handle an emergency maneuver with such ease, that most would buy them.

We knew he had done a demo in the vehicles that he hadn’t sold because there was a difference in off the lot vs off the truck. Plus, he had a real, shit eating grin after the test drive, especially when leading customers back in.

he wasn’t the greatest salesman in the dealership but he produced and the dealership looked the other way when it came to his demo tactics. That asshole. LOL

if i knew that and that guy was my saleman. i'd have to pretend that i wanted the red wrangler. so he can do the sales tactic. after its all done shown off, i tell him i want the granite on instead of the red one.
Sponsored