xray

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon
Just to add:
Incidentally most gas tank + engine combos weigh around that same 500-800 or so lbs. So a future battery at 600lbs will get you 400mi in a Tesla with similar normal ICE dynamics to the chassis. For a Jeep, that'll be engineering questions that they'll be answering during their next model cycle for the Wrangler.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Well, gentleman you are in luck about batteries. Maybe the planet can't wait, but in our current JL we will have to.

In about 2-5 years time solid state batteries of various chemistries will be coming out. It'll be a VHS/Beta type of deal, with many parties throwing their solutions into the mix.

To the above gentlemen that thinks that progress has stopped: definitely not. It's not even the chemistries involved so much for upcoming tech, but the chicken and egg problem of manufacturing. You want amortize the cost of these batteries over the economies of scale. Pretty standard 101 stuff.

Also to point out, 1-5% improvements are compounding. Same as your bank account. Magical 50% improvements, are that very magical. It rarely happens in science. But, to that 50% - indeed, that VERY change is coming as solid state batteries.

There are various scenarios for different applications, but 50% more range and 1/4 -1/2 the weight at the same cell size. So that model 3 1000k battery becomes 500 at the same 300mi range. So now you can play with size vs range a bit better for packaging for future vehicles so they don't have to all look like bodies on skateboards.

This bodes well for the Jeep - and things like charging infrastructure at 800V and above.
Here's a good read, fairly heavy, but balanced. Meaningful advances in batteries are still science fiction at this point.
https://www.technology.matthey.com/article/62/2/177-180/

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
After reading the article, kind of what we're all saying: Lots of exciting potential, lots of hurdles and potential pitfalls. Kind of like most things, I guess. It'll be up to the scientists and engineers to see what they can make of it.

xray

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
This is 3 years out of date. 2 years ago + 1 year publish review time. Anyway, solid state is heading for a 2025 debut. Not that I can predict that accurately, but companies do their releases with many factors in mind.
Perhaps in next decade we'll see solid state batteries in hearing aids and similar devices, then phones. Years down the road perhaps in vehicles, but many technologies don't scale well

Sponsored

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
interesting but I have to say to me an electrical car feels like having a girlfriend filled with silicone parts , no thanks I will pass on that option

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
interesting but I have to say to me an electrical car feels like having a girlfriend filled with silicone parts , no thanks I will pass on that option
Have you driven one? To me it’s more like dating an exotic model that is fast and fun but without the noise and extra baggage that usually accompanies high performance. As a Tesla M3 AWD owner I feel EV is the future. It’s just beginning...

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
Some time ago, I walked between 2 cars parked head to tail. I was about to cross the road. All was quiet. As I stepped off one of them moved! I could have been crushed! It was so quiet, I had presumed the motor was not running! It was a Toyota Prius!

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Some time ago, I walked between 2 cars parked head to tail. I was about to cross the road. All was quiet. As I stepped off one of them moved! I could have been crushed! It was so quiet, I had presumed the motor was not running! It was a Toyota Prius!
The government now requires they be equipped with “noisemakers”. They are dead silent when moving slowly. 0-60 in about 4 seconds...and very little drivetrain noise....

Sponsored

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
Have you driven one? To me it’s more like dating an exotic model that is fast and fun but without the noise and extra baggage that usually accompanies high performance. As a Tesla M3 AWD owner I feel EV is the future. It’s just beginning...
well I have been a passenger in few , here in Toronto we call them streetcars

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Moijto 2005 TJ AEV Hemi
The government now requires they be equipped with “noisemakers”. They are dead silent when moving slowly. 0-60 in about 4 seconds...and very little drivetrain noise....
What are the deaf going to do?

Last edited:

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
There's a lot going on in that post lol But if it boils down to rich and powerful people pretty much dictating the rest of our lives, you aren't wrong.

Small solar chargers in the roof probably wouldn't do much other than get you a mile or two over the course of a trip. Weren't there a couple cars that tried having little solar panels? I could swear I read something about it maybe a year or so ago.
Sponsored