Tracking Jeep JLUR Diesel Issues

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
I did have the AC on but I always do and this is the first time it's ever done it.

My AC blows super cold, but when I changed to a bestop sunrider I can tell it gets way hotter inside now. I need to turn it up higher than normal.
Could be due to ambient temperature? Was it a hotter day than in the past?
Sponsored

Wicked3.0

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Rubicon
Hi all,

Just wanted to update this thread on my issue:

My JL Ecodiesel has been at the dealer for 12 days now. Unfortunately, this is one of those common situations where the owner of the vehicle (me) is more aware about the vehicle than the service advisor, and it's like pulling teeth to understand what is going on exactly.

Apparently, there are multiple codes being thrown and the most obvious ones are a sensor in the emissions system, along with a bad Power Distribution Center (PDC aka fuse box).

I've been waiting for news since last Tuesday (5/12) when they figured out the issue. The problem is that they cannot locate either part, so I am in limbo until they can locate and ship the parts to the dealer. Also, service advisor told me apparently the technician "thinks" the turbo is bad as well, but he says he can't tell until the PDC is is replaced. Seems like to me there may have been a short circuit causing the PDC to fail?

At close of business today I will be 3 weekends without the new Jeep to use and currently driving a Dodge Minivan :headbang: provided by my dealer.

I understand the supply / demand and chain of distribution for goods globally are really tangled up right now with factories shutting down, but this situation is sour to say the least.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Hi all,

Just wanted to update this thread on my issue:

My JL Ecodiesel has been at the dealer for 12 days now. Unfortunately, this is one of those common situations where the owner of the vehicle (me) is more aware about the vehicle than the service advisor, and it's like pulling teeth to understand what is going on exactly.

Apparently, there are multiple codes being thrown and the most obvious ones are a sensor in the emissions system, along with a bad Power Distribution Center (PDC aka fuse box).

I've been waiting for news since last Tuesday (5/12) when they figured out the issue. The problem is that they cannot locate either part, so I am in limbo until they can locate and ship the parts to the dealer. Also, service advisor told me apparently the technician "thinks" the turbo is bad as well, but he says he can't tell until the PDC is is replaced. Seems like to me there may have been a short circuit causing the PDC to fail?

At close of business today I will be 3 weekends without the new Jeep to use and currently driving a Dodge Minivan :headbang: provided by my dealer.

I understand the supply / demand and chain of distribution for goods globally are really tangled up right now with factories shutting down, but this situation is sour to say the least.
I wonder if there is any relation between your fuse box issue and what looks like a solid third of the rigs delivered here reported to have had loose fuses at delivery. Either way, sorry to hear about the mess man. I hope they can turn it around for you because these things are incredible when they work.

WVB

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys Unlimited 3.0L Diesel HellaYella
I wonder if there is any relation between your fuse box issue and what looks like a solid third of the rigs delivered here reported to have had loose fuses at delivery. Either way, sorry to hear about the mess man. I hope they can turn it around for you because these things are incredible when they work.
Count me in the loose fuse and relay camp. Almost every fuse and about 1/2 the relays were not seated all the way.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Count me in the loose fuse and relay camp. Almost every fuse and about 1/2 the relays were not seated all the way.
I wonder if anyone who got the magic “we pulled this one out of line for extra QC testing” sticker had loose fuses. Mine got the extra QC and has had no issues but it shouldn’t take 45 miles of QC to send a functioning vehicle out of the plant.

Sponsored

JP 3.0

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins, 2020 JLUD
I had 60 miles and 6 weeks of “extra inspection”, and all but 6-8 fuses and 1 or 2 relays were loose.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had 60 miles and 6 weeks of “extra inspection”, and all but 6-8 fuses and 1 or 2 relays were loose.
Really instills a great sense of confidence in FCA. It’s a shame the bronco is unlikely to compete enough in this space to get the folks in Toledo to clean up their act.

shufly09

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecodiesel JL (ordered)
So I've driven about 3,300 miles so far. No issues apart from the vehicle charging system warning (that is sent automatically to my email via Jeep health - everything is running fine). However, the vehicle has yet to run through a re-gen cycle, or at least given a notification that it is running one. Not sure if I should be concerned or not.

Wicked3.0

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Rubicon
So I've driven about 3,300 miles so far. No issues apart from the vehicle charging system warning (that is sent automatically to my email via Jeep health - everything is running fine). However, the vehicle has yet to run through a re-gen cycle, or at least given a notification that it is running one. Not sure if I should be concerned or not.
Shufly, same exact thing happened to me. I got a message in my email at about 2,500 miles indicating that the battery system was having a problem. However, no indication or warnings on the dash. Also I sure I read battery and alternator health with my Dewalt battery charging / reading system and all showed normal.

The only thing I noticed differently is if you push the ignition to "run" the battery light came on and if you go to the battery voltage screen indicator it was red in the background. Dealer had it for 2 days and claims they "reflashed" it and all is good.

Wicked3.0

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Rubicon
Thanks, JLURD. I wish I had the Jeep in front of me now, I would have checked that before sending it to dealer but it makes me wonder this too now that I have read more research on this.

Today I just got a call from my dealer that the part they need will not be available until AUGUST 3rd!

So, that means I will be more than 3 months without my vehicle. I am sad to say but I am definitely getting legal advice on this matter, unless Jeep or my dealership is able to 1.) do a buyback or 2.) get me in a similar new Jeep.

I sold a fully paid-off Power Wagon and saved a ton to afford this vehicle, and I just can't wrap my head around this situation.

3 months is way too long to be out of a vehicle, especially a new one that is only a few months old with 5,000 miles. I need a 4x4 for work (rural / commercial development & construction) and plus have some cool trips I have been planing for a long time with my crew & family.

Last edited:

Sponsored

WVB

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys Unlimited 3.0L Diesel HellaYella
I have seen at least two regens in the last 1,000 miles on mine. They are very subtle and not easily recognizable. Smell of exhaust components was my only clue. If I hadn’t of come to a stop either during or right after I would have never known.
I have had two diesel trucks with DPF and both would regen at least once during every tank of fuel unless towing.
Towing kept things hot enough that soot built very slowly.
I really really wish that FCA would have given us some type of indication on the DIC that a regen has started.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
Picked ours up with about 15 miles on it. We are up to maybe 700 and have not seen a regen notification from the Jeep. The scangauge II however shows that it has completed 2 of them. I do not believe a normally functioning 3.0D Wrangler will alert the driver as to the regen status.

Last edited:

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, JLURD. I wish I had the Jeep in front of me now, I would have checked that before sending it to dealer but it makes me wonder this too now that I have read more research on this.

Today I just got a call from my dealer that the part they need will not be available until AUGUST 3rd!

So, that means I will be more than 3 months without my vehicle. I am sad to say but I am definitely getting legal advice on this matter, unless Jeep or my dealership is able to 1.) do a buyback or 2.) get me in a similar new Jeep.

I sold a fully paid-off Power Wagon and saved a ton to afford this vehicle, and I just can't wrap my head around this situation.

3 months is way too long to be out of a vehicle, especially a new one that is only a few months old with 5,000 miles. I need a 4x4 for work (rural / commercial development & construction) and plus have some cool trips I have been planing for a long time with my crew & family.
Yea that’s bs...you should definitely be a squeaky wheel until FCA gets you a vehicle for the wait.

Csarcon

First Name
Cesar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon diesel, 2019 F350 diesel, 2018 Can Am x3, 2013 Prius plug in
Occupation
Transportation
Can I get access to the spreadsheet, looks like I am next to ride in the problem wagon, last Thrusday (5-21-20) I took the Jeep to fill up the tank as my wife was making a trip to Arizona (we are in California), then all of a sudden I lost power on the accelerator and it would barely move (limp mode is my guess) and the check engine light went on, I have a dealer within 2 miles from home so I took it there to get it tested, it was low on fuel (a little less than a 1/4 tank, added fuel and problem was still there so I drove it accross the street to the dealer), on Wednesday I stopped at the dealer and they said they tried different things suggested by Chrysler and none fixed the problem, they were waiting to have the techs from Chrysler look at the date after several test and they would need to wait until the techs tell them how to proceed. The next day (yesterday) they said they had been advise by Chrysler to change the EGR, but they are not sure when they would have the part, but that I should hear from them soon, over 24 hours have past and I guess we still dont have a timeframe for this part, being that I am out of a vehicle for a week now I think I am gonna ask to have a loaner provided. Wish me luck fellas, I hope this doesnt become an ongoing issue with these engines.

The dealer did mentioned that they had a couple diesel mechanics, but this being a new 2020 Wrangler Diesel it made it a little harder to diagnose as they have not had any there, he said they havent even sold one there (prices are stupid high thats why lol), I am not sure I like hearing that, but I guess it's part of the "test pilot project" we all signed up for, I am hoping this is not a long or repetitive ordeal.

I am concern as they are suppose to have all these stupid sensors everywhere and computer systems to help them read the data, yet the dealer doesnt know how to fix a fault ?? makes you wonder how smart these guys can really be and by the same token how hard to fix these diesels once they are out of warranty, I guess we will eventually find out

Wicked3.0

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Rubicon
Can I get access to the spreadsheet, looks like I am next to ride in the problem wagon, last Thrusday (5-21-20) I took the Jeep to fill up the tank as my wife was making a trip to Arizona (we are in California), then all of a sudden I lost power on the accelerator and it would barely move (limp mode is my guess) and the check engine light went on, I have a dealer within 2 miles from home so I took it there to get it tested, it was low on fuel (a little less than a 1/4 tank, added fuel and problem was still there so I drove it accross the street to the dealer), on Wednesday I stopped at the dealer and they said they tried different things suggested by Chrysler and none fixed the problem, they were waiting to have the techs from Chrysler look at the date after several test and they would need to wait until the techs tell them how to proceed. The next day (yesterday) they said they had been advise by Chrysler to change the EGR, but they are not sure when they would have the part, but that I should hear from them soon, over 24 hours have past and I guess we still dont have a timeframe for this part, being that I am out of a vehicle for a week now I think I am gonna ask to have a loaner provided. Wish me luck fellas, I hope this doesnt become an ongoing issue with these engines.

The dealer did mentioned that they had a couple diesel mechanics, but this being a new 2020 Wrangler Diesel it made it a little harder to diagnose as they have not had any there, he said they havent even sold one there (prices are stupid high thats why lol), I am not sure I like hearing that, but I guess it's part of the "test pilot project" we all signed up for, I am hoping this is not a long or repetitive ordeal.

I am concern as they are suppose to have all these stupid sensors everywhere and computer systems to help them read the data, yet the dealer doesnt know how to fix a fault ?? makes you wonder how smart these guys can really be and by the same token how hard to fix these diesels once they are out of warranty, I guess we will eventually find out

Csarcon, I wish you luck. How many miles do you have on your rig? I am too in limbo and what I expected to be a couple days turned into a couple weeks and now I am looking at 3 months!

I agree, the dealerships are completely lost, clueless and not prepared for the JL Ecodiesel issues and even after three weeks, I cannot get out of them exactly what is wrong with mine. What a mess. My dealership manager is now ignoring me, and I have a case # with Jeep and FCA North America and going to see what my options are hopefully by tomorrow.
Sponsored