Sponsored

Hertz liquidating JL Wranglers - Are these a good deal?

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
With those prices they won’t be selling much if anything. New is just a few K away. Not sure why sellers can’t realize this. Why buy used for a few Thousand less when you can have brand new for a little more. They need to sell these for 25k or below to move them.

i agree. the sad part about this is that people will jump on these thinking they got a bargain without researching what deals you can get on a new 0 mile wrangler. the worst part is when hertz start auctioning them off and get either the same or higher price on them.

along the same line i wouldnt buy anything from a rental company because most of them were driven like it was stolen and or driven over every curb in the us.
Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I doubt I would ever buy a vehicle from a rental car dealer. People who drive rentals, typically drive the "you know what" out of them. Not their car, no big deal if something happens to it.
Not only that, but I've rarely seen a rental Wrangler (especially here in Colorado) that doesn't look like it hasn't been scrubbed with tree branches. Despite the fact you can be confident a good number of them haven't been off pavement, I always see them scratched to hell and back, especially the freedom panels where people drag the windshield clamps along other areas of the hard top, the windshield frame, etc.

Just imagine how many people who rented these things in winter months drove on pavement in 4-HI. No thanks.

But bankruptcy provides the legal protection they need to negotiate those debts. I dont expect any direct to consumer fire sales.

If there were fire sales prices I would expect another wholesale company to pick them all up in 1 large deal for resale.
Yeah, but Hertz is hanging on to a pipedream that they can survive this. It probably isn't gonna happen. They were toast long before COVID. Their bankruptcy is like giving a bandaid to a cancer patient. They're gonna try to get as much as they can from these vehicles at first and if that fails, we'll probably see prices drop on whatever they can't get rid of. If the pandemic lockdowns weren't going on right now, they might have had a chance.

It's a bummer, really. I've rented some amazing vehicles through them, like a fully-loaded BMW X7 that had just come off the dealership lot before they gave me the keys, for $120 for an entire week.

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Used wholesale market has cratered the last month. Prices will keep falling. The 0% and other offers the last 2 months have packed dealer lots with used trades with nowhere to go. I've been shopping and watched it real-time. A friend has experienced the same looking to move into a JLUR.

Pumping4Jane

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
They are trying to get used retail prices out of these. Don’t expect them to give them away....if they were going to do that they would have sent them to an auction house and then avoid the liability of a direct consumer sale.
Exactly. Unsold units are destine for the auction block.

Sponsored

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Here we go with another Thread on buying a Jeep from a rental service lol.
Here is a similar thread although this thread discusses if it’s a deal and is it reliable.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/experience-buying-former-rental.49073/
A bit different in this scenario considering we are talking in terms of a company that is in the tanks.

Jeep Wrangler JL Hertz liquidating JL Wranglers - Are these a good deal? 1590704831451

With that said, I'd still be more inclined to go new, especially with employee pricing and 0% financing. These are not priced that well all things considered.

Silverblkrilla

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
My old pickup was a former hertz fleet truck and it had some good and some bad like any used vehicle. Ran it for 70k miles until the engine blew at 102k from not transitioning correctly from 4 to 8 cylinders but that was a Chevy issue not necessarily a used hertz vehicle problem. I will say that the specs on these type of fleet vehicles is usually unique and those prices aren’t blowing me away. The pricing is more in line with what I might have expected in late fall of last year.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
Actually most fleet vehicles are fine, like a ford focus or kia optimus, but definitely NOT wrangler. OMG you should see what stupid thing people do to their rental once they realize it is a wrangler, fly off highway, drive through corn field, rip soft top off, who need read manual, just yank everything.

Sponsored

Karnak

First Name
Yan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL 3.6 Sport S - 2 door
Occupation
government
Vehicle Showcase
I'm actually surprised because unless I understand bankruptcy laws incorrectly, once they file and sign for bankrupcty protection, they can't liquidate anything. It becomes the responsability of the Lawyer or whoever it is in the U.S. etc but someone part of the bankruptcy process is responsible for those sales and its usualy the liquidator and if it is, his only and sole purpose is to gather as much money as he can from whats in assets in the company to make up lost funds. So technically, he may post a price, then decide to lower it until it sells because for him, tis not a question of price, but rather a question of time, he has limited time to action and as such in an bankrupcty liquidation, it usualy goes to auction and I don't understand the sale type here, it just doesn't make sense to me unless I missed something.

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Either these prices are terrible or I'm paying my rubi off way faster than I thought I'd be, if you're gonna buy one of these msg me instead, I kinda want a diesel.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Rental cars are abused. I'd stay away.

Frequent traveler with top status.

desync0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2dr Sport in Mojito!
Vehicle Showcase
I'll pile on to the those prices suck bandwagon.

Rentals = Instant 10-20% off comparable used vehicles, those are all priced at normal retail or higher.

EZMFE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
So this is every (16) Wrangler Hertz has for sale currently. Assuming they are in decent condition are these good deals?

https://www.hertzcarsales.com/used-...e=Jeep&model=Wrangler&geoZip=11937&geoRadius=
Well, lets take a closer look at just the first one.

2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sport 4x4 - VIN: 1C4HJXDN9KW588642

Window Sticker:
https://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=1C4HJXDN9KW588642

Build Sheet:
https://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/BuildSheetServlet?vin=1C4HJXDN9KW588642

Price when new - $40,435
Hertz No Haggle Price - $28,299
Price Difference - $12,136
Percent off MSRP - 30.014%

Miles on vehicle - 18,469
Condition - Rental (drive it like you stole it)

Options:
2.0 Liter I4
8 Speed Auto
Black Hard Top
Customer Preferred Package 28S

kbb.com trade-in value:
Condition: Very Good - $24,368 - $26,627
Condition: Good - $23,007 - $25,316
Condition: Fair - $21,891 - $24,261

Auction price would be even lower but keep in mind the seller/dealer needs to make some money. A good deal is when both parties are happy ;)
Sponsored