Newbie with a beach driving question

AlexOGnv

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Hi everyone. First time Jeep owner (2020 Wrangler Unlimited) since last Friday. So far I've done nothing to the Jeep so everything is stock. I have two very newbie questions:

I live in Gainesville, Florida, and love heading over to Crescent Beach. Does anyone have any experience driving on the sand out there? The sand up where you drive tends to be looser and less packed. I'd appreciate any thoughts on taking it out onto the sand with just the stock tires. Am I just asking for trouble? Another thread from a couple of years ago recommended reducing the pressure to about 12 psi and keeping it in 4L and said that this was all that was needed. Is that still good advice?

Second, I really don't want to lift the Jeep. I was told that I could go up to 33 inches on the tires. Is there anything I need to worry about if I do that?

I'd appreciate any insight. Thanks for your help.

Alex
Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I’m m interested as well. I don’t do a lot of beach driving, only twice so far. Once in Galveston where it was a somewhat “muddy” sand that was very firmly packed. No problem at all. Once more in the Florida panhandle where the sand was more “dusty” - loose, fine, and deep. I immediately felt that I was bogging down and had no traction. I stopped and didn’t go further so as not to get stuck. I was not aired down and I wasn’t in 4 LO.

Also, is it legal to drive in every public beach in Florida (unless there are signs restricting it) like it is in Texas?

Movenpuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 2.0L T
Interested also, I'm planning on my first beach driving at the Jersey shore and wondering if 4HI or 4Lo is the way to go.
Also welcome to the club Alex

NoahVD

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
I spend a day driving around sand dunes at Pismo Beach in CA and it was all in 4hi with the tires aired down to 20 psi. I never had any problems. This was in a rubicon with stock all terrains.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Besides airing down if you're going to be beach driving often you should have street tires especially if the sand is generally loose and not hard. Not aggressive All or Mud Terrains. Street tires float on sand rather than dig into it. It doesn't matter so much on harder sand but on tricky beaches they make a huge difference.

Sponsored

MT1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Altima
Heading to the beach this weekend for the first time hopefully (if my permit ever arrives). Plan on airing down to 15 and driving in 4lo.

Brian0128

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 Toyota TRD PRO
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Stock tires at 15psi will do fine. The speed limit on that beach is 10 mph so do your transmission a favor and keep it in 4Low to avoid overheating the transmission.. Avoid hard braking, let the Jeep coast to a stop whenever possible and try not to make sharp turns.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
I’m m interested as well. I don’t do a lot of beach driving, only twice so far. Once in Galveston where it was a somewhat “muddy” sand that was very firmly packed. No problem at all. Once more in the Florida panhandle where the sand was more “dusty” - loose, fine, and deep. I immediately felt that I was bogging down and had no traction. I stopped and didn’t go further so as not to get stuck. I was not aired down and I wasn’t in 4 LO.

Also, is it legal to drive in every public beach in Florida (unless there are signs restricting it) like it is in Texas?
No, not legal on every public beach here. I don’t know of any SW FL beaches, or in the Broward/Miami-Dade area, where it’s legal to drive on the beach.

Movenpuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 2.0L T
Heading to the beach this weekend for the first time hopefully (if my permit ever arrives). Plan on airing down to 15 and driving in 4lo.
Im also waiting on a permit, they cashed my check so hopefully its in the mail.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

the drier the sand the lower the PSI you will want to run with. your stock tires will be fine. you can fit take off rubicon wheels and 33" tires no problems at all on your sahara. i run them on my sport and have yet to have any issues. only thing is you will need to re-calibrate the speed for the tires size so your transmission shifts properly

Sponsored

mtbvert

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bikini Sport
We've taken the Wife's new JL on the beach here on Long Island a few times already, and no problems. Air down to 18 and 4H, it's been really soft too.

BUT!!!!

You mentioned loosing traction, do yourself a favor and turn off traction control!!! I have no idea what it doesn't turn off when put into 4WD.

I thought the engine cut out, because when trying to cross a rut it pulled power from the tires that were slipping and halted us. It drove me nuts until i saw the traction light flashing.

Movenpuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 2.0L T
We've taken the Wife's new JL on the beach here on Long Island a few times already, and no problems. Air down to 18 and 4H, it's been really soft too.

BUT!!!!

You mentioned loosing traction, do yourself a favor and turn off traction control!!! I have no idea what it doesn't turn off when put into 4WD.

I thought the engine cut out, because when trying to cross a rut it pulled power from the tires that were slipping and halted us. It drove me nuts until i saw the traction light flashing.
good info bro

MT1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Altima
Out in eastern LI too. Just found out earlier today that Smithpoint is open to get permits. Instead of waiting for them to process it through email, I went down there today and picked it up.
Like someone mentioned, 4lo turns it off. You can also hold the dash button (for traction control) for a few seconds in 4hi and it will turn it off too.