Sponsored

Hertz liquidating JL Wranglers - Are these a good deal?

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Hertz and other rental companies are all going to be dumping inventory. I suspect some will file for bankruptcy. I'd cross check the Hertz prices with book value and make price adjustments for being rentals. I would be conservative.

Used car prices will drop more when other companies start dumping inventory. Hopefully there are not a lot of Wranglers or residuals will dip a little more then usual.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Doesnt look like a great deal to me, 20K miles , probably for a few grand more with current rebates, you could buy a brand new one.

OP
OP

Cpalms

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
Doesnt look like a great deal to me, 20K miles , probably for a few grand more with current rebates, you could buy a brand new one.
I was guessing the same thing...Billet silver sport with 36K miles for 28K doesn't scream deal to me.

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I looked too. A few 2019 models with 4x the mileage as mine and they want $5k less than what I paid new. Doesn't seem like a deal.

I did see some cheap low-end cars that might be decent. The $15k-$20k new cars that don't hold value selling for under $10k. Granted they are 2 years old and with the mileage of a 4 year old vehicle.

Sponsored

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Right now with Hertz filing bankruptcy I would imagine these would go for 20% below used market value. Not sure you can really negotiate with them though. Admittedly I do not know the current values of JLU's but those prices don't seem to jump out and scream great deal to me.

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, I plugged in my zip code, and don't think those prices are bargains, especially with those miles on the clock. I was on-track to buy used and add an aftermarket warranty, but eventually bought new because it wasn't much more (amortized over a planned decade of ownership) to just get a brand new Jeep with a factory warranty.

IMHO, for a business that can afford to wait for the market or buyer, it's better to start with too high a price, then come down, rather than blow-out price your inventory right away, and give-up profit immediately.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
They are trying to get used retail prices out of these. Don’t expect them to give them away....if they were going to do that they would have sent them to an auction house and then avoid the liability of a direct consumer sale.

Sponsored

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, I plugged in my zip code, and don't think those prices are bargains, especially with those miles on the clock. I was on-track to buy used and add an aftermarket warranty, but eventually bought new because it wasn't much more (amortized over a planned decade of ownership) to just get a brand new Jeep with a factory warranty.

IMHO, for a business that can afford to wait for the market or buyer, it's better to start with too high a price, then come down, rather than blow-out price your inventory right away, and give-up profit immediately.
Not sure Hertz is in a great position to not blow-out price. The reason they filed for bankruptcy on Friday is they cannot pay the debts on all of their millions of dollars of depreciating assets.

ToPar9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Altitude
I doubt I would ever buy a vehicle from a rental car dealer. People who drive rentals, typically drive the "you know what" out of them. Not their car, no big deal if something happens to it.

sdiver68

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara 4XE, Tesla M3LR, Nissan Sentra
Occupation
Management Consultant/Small Business Owner
Not sure Hertz is in a great position to not blow-out price. The reason they filed for bankruptcy on Friday is they cannot pay the debts on all of their millions of dollars of depreciating assets.
But bankruptcy provides the legal protection they need to negotiate those debts. I dont expect any direct to consumer fire sales.

If there were fire sales prices I would expect another wholesale company to pick them all up in 1 large deal for resale.

starrs

First Name
Galen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
Registered Nurse
With those prices they won’t be selling much if anything. New is just a few K away. Not sure why sellers can’t realize this. Why buy used for a few Thousand less when you can have brand new for a little more. They need to sell these for 25k or below to move them.
Sponsored