Sponsored

What is the average age of a JL Rubicon owner? Input yours

What is the average age of a Rubicon owner.

• Total voters

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
dude, I’m 51... we’re GEN X. Our PARENTS are Boomers.

Facts are our friends.

And as Bryce mentioned, the poll shouldn’t lump together everyone “over 50” when all the other ages are in 5 year ranges. It’s not like the average life expectancy is only 55.

(For you younger members, it isn’t lost on me that to you, anyone over 50 seems OLD and one step from the grave... but as someone who has driven Jeeps for 30 years, seen hundreds of rock concerts and continues to do so, plays music in a band, and digs and brews craft beer, let me tell you that at 50 you can still feel GREAT and have a blast... perhaps even more as you’ll be financially able to really enjoy your life and hobbies!)

Cheers! \../
and it still is great!!!
Sponsored

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
I am 29. Single. Have a good job. Sounds like a dating ad

I wouldn’t buy a new car until I paid off my student loans. Other then my mortgage it’s the only debt I have. I watch my money and knew what I wanted. Anything else I looked at was close in cost and probably would have cost me a ton in tickets. Though maybe not as much in mods I’m working on for my Jeep...

It all evens out. It’s a hobby and I love driving my Rubicon around and going off-road. I would do it all again

I have some Smittybilt rocksliders brand new if you're interested I'm in 15001

Bumblb

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport S
I just turned 69 so I guess my average age is 34 1/2 years.

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR Diesel, '17 Cherokee, '16 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Retired - most of the time anyway
I think the reason that the biggest percentage is over 50 is due to the average new Rubicon being close to $60, 000. It's not big secret that the over 50 crowd has more disposable income that those under 50.

I have a standing order in for a new Gladiator Mojave with my dealer as soon as the diesel is available. There aren't any deals on the Mojave or the Rubicon, no extra rebates or dealer cash or 0% financing options. It's flat out going to cost $60K. I'm expecting to buy it cash for around 50 and put 40 down on it and finance for 2 years, pay it off in one. I'm lucky I can do that but if I were not, I'd keep my current Jeep, wait a few years and buy a used one for half the cost of the new one (only takes about 3 years with depreciation)

I know a few people that have $700 car payments to buy that new Rubicon and that is just crazy. My 1st house payment was under $300. My first new car cost $5000 (75 Mercury Cougar XR7 with every option) and I financed it for 3 years. Now they are advertising 7 year financing for new vehicles. Why? The average person keeps a new car for less than 3 years and for the most part they owe more on it than they an sell it for. Personally, if you need to finance a car for 7 or 8 years, you need to find a cheaper, more affordable car. I don't know how these young people do it now.

Sponsored

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I think the reason that the biggest percentage is over 50 is due to the average new Rubicon being close to $60, 000. It's not big secret that the over 50 crowd has more disposable income that those under 50.

I have a standing order in for a new Gladiator Mojave with my dealer as soon as the diesel is available. There aren't any deals on the Mojave or the Rubicon, no extra rebates or dealer cash or 0% financing options. It's flat out going to cost $60K. I'm expecting to buy it cash for around 50 and put 40 down on it and finance for 2 years, pay it off in one. I'm lucky I can do that but if I were not, I'd keep my current Jeep, wait a few years and buy a used one for half the cost of the new one (only takes about 3 years with depreciation)

I know a few people that have $700 car payments to buy that new Rubicon and that is just crazy. My 1st house payment was under $300. My first new car cost $5000 (75 Mercury Cougar XR7 with every option) and I financed it for 3 years. Now they are advertising 7 year financing for new vehicles. Why? The average person keeps a new car for less than 3 years and for the most part they owe more on it than they an sell it for. Personally, if you need to finance a car for 7 or 8 years, you need to find a cheaper, more affordable car. I don't know how these young people do it now.
My bud bought a new lifted loaded Rubicon Gladiator. His payment is $980 a month. Then about 7 months later bought his wife a JLR because she enjoyed wheeling so much and wanted to drive on the trails also. They wheel both of the Jeeps at the same time. They are enjoying the Jeeping thing so much that they put their big boat up for sale so they could spend more time on the trails.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
My bud bought a new lifted loaded Rubicon Gladiator. His payment is $980 a month. Then about 7 months later bought his wife a JLR because she enjoyed wheeling so much and wanted to drive on the trails also. They wheel both of the Jeeps at the same time. They are enjoying the Jeeping thing so much that they put their big boat up for sale so they could spend more time on the trails.
Money is cheap right now. It makes no sense to use a large amount of your own now.

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
My sister got hosed by a dealer (that I walked out of in laughter when they wouldn’t go below invoice), with a JT Rubicon lease for $1200/month. Hosed. If only she had consulted her Jeep-affluent brother.

Cthehentz

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Retired at 48, paid cash for my JLR this past Jan. I broke my rule of never risk your own money when you can borrow someone else's money on the cheap BUT I have no car payments. With that said the wife wants a new Rover so this vicious circle continues.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Retired at 48, paid cash for my JLR this past Jan. I broke my rule of never risk your own money when you can borrow someone else's money on the cheap BUT I have no car payments. With that said the wife wants a new Rover so this vicious circle continues.
Now if you can just convince your wife to get something other than a Rover...

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
It's not big secret that the over 50 crowd has more disposable income that those under 50.
You never heard of "social security", "fixed income", and all that kind of stuff?

wait a few years and buy a used one for half the cost of the new one (only takes about 3 years with depreciation)
Jeep prices don't seem to do this. There are JLs that are nearly 3 years old but not a full 3 model years. Look at prices on cars.com right now. The absolute cheapest used 2018 Rubicon I can find is $40k+, the cheapest new ones from what people on this forum are saying are about $50k, that's 20% in 3 years including depreciation and mileage. This is opposite of normal depreciation. Normal depreciation is not linear, you get more depreciation up front. The difference between new and used prices is backwards, less than linear depreciation.

Concrete King

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I'm not sure how to answer.

1) The age of the person that *bought the Jeep (was a gift for another person)?
2) The age of the gift recipient?
3) The giftee and the giftor are in different age brackets - split the difference?

* The giftee and giftor share the bank account that purchased the gift - not to muddy the waters further.

nam5146

First Name
Nicole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Wrangler Rubicon
I have some Smittybilt rocksliders brand new if you're interested I'm in 15001
I am keeping my Rubicon ones for now, but thanks! I want to see how they hold up in Moab, then maybe I'll take you up on that. That trip isn't until August though. Know of any good off-roading around us locally? I've been hitting some dirt roads, but it's pretty sad...