Sponsored

FCA just cancelled my warranty because of "aftermarket stuff"

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
In my limited life experience, I've found showing humility in dialogue goes a long way. Sometimes when we are frustrated, we pre-plan a lot of these difficult conversations in our head and approach them with the wrong attitude to begin with. Or if you find yourself talking down to someone because you think they are in idiot (Even if they really are an idiot), tends to not be conducive to cooperation. This isn't pointed at anyone directly. Just food for thought as we all approach all problems in life.

Hope the OP gets his jeep worked out. Kind of discouraging to hear as a future jeep buyer.
Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
They already do. It is called MOPAR, and they charge pretty coin for it. But FCA is too stupid to back up mods even when done with its own approved parts.

In fairness, Jeep used to be very relaxed about mods when honoring warranty. But things have changed under FCA: it has become a stickler abour mods, while dealer treatment has gone down the drain.
I can understand why you bought a Jeep, even though you are disappointed with FCA's service, but, feeling that way, why would you ever buy a Fiat Spider?

Last edited:

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
I'm appalled at the attitude of many of the users here. It has been said many times over that this is not an issue related to tire size. But many here don't understand why it isn't or just don't care. And are blaming the OP for trying to get a warrantied component replaced under warranty. If he tried to get a part that was actually effected by the modifications that he made covered by the warranty, then I would understand the contempt that has been on display. But this is not the issue at place here. The electronics that register speed, the hall effect wheel speed and possibly the transfer case output speed sensor, are at fault. Or possibly the wiring harness, computer, etc... But those components don't touch anything that he has modified. The people that are claiming that he had to expect that the warranty would be denied, and agreeing with the dealership are part of the problem with getting FCA to warranty items that should be covered. This is ridiculous as someone putting on a sunshade for when they take their top off, then discovering a leak with their hard top, and the dealership denying a warranty repair because they had installed an aftermarket top. Even though the shade doesn't interfere with the hard top at all. If you don't know anything about this system and how it works and just assumed that what he has modified must have caused the issues he's having, then you should refrain from comment and read to educate yourself.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt."
— ABRAHAM LINCOLN.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Agreed. I get why mopar doesn't like them. Its why I was super hesitant to get one at all. I'm curious of all the people with computer related problems, if they relate to these hack style programmers. I'd also love to know from a mopar tech what they can see on their end. If its physically not installed, i'm assuming they can still see it has been married.
If you remove the tazer they see nothing except a residual U0168 code for the secure gateway communication break from before you do the full reboot after its been married. That one you can clear but they can still see it historically - I don't think any user side tools can clear the historical codes.

Sponsored

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
I'm appalled at the attitude of many of the users here.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt."
— ABRAHAM LINCOLN.
How far into the responses did you get? The general consensus in this thread is failure of parts due to aftermarket modifications are justified reasons for warranty claim denial.

If I swap out my D35 and D44 complete axles assemblies for D60’s front and rear, first please congratulate me. And then second, know that I beefed up more of the suspension and driveline components to support the new axles and went ahead and made everything look as if it left the factory this way. And then, out of the blue, my Uconnect screen suddenly goes out within warranty period, I would expect a dealer to take care of the issue under warranty because it’s unrelated to what I did.

But if my transfer case chews up the driveshaft because I’ve modded my Jeep and then implodes, I’ve lost the right to say the transfer case that came from the factory is defective and deserves to be fixed under warranty. I will be a man about it and say I jacked my transfer case because of what I did and I need to pay for a new factory one or get something that's aftermarket and better. And then I’d bed my woman.

You can argue the mods are my own fault and any warranty claims deserve to be voided. Someone else can argue they are not and deserve fulfillment. If you take the argument out from the equation, as one of our forum sponsors mentioned earlier, it boils down to people taking care of people, willing to find solutions and doing the right thing on both sides of the fence.

The issue in this case is a dealer unwilling to acknowledge that there is a problem, find the root cause of problem and then solve for the problem. I’m sure @Stormin’ Moorman is well aware that if it’s determined that the cause of failure is the result of his mods, then he’s going to be out of pocket to fix it. Which, to be honest, it sounds like it is but we don’t know because the people who were supposed to look at it never did.

But if it’s not, which very well may be the case, then he deserves to be taken care of under the manufacture’s warranty.

“My homies agree I really look good in black, fool” -WEIRD AL YANKOVIC

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I wish FCA and Mopar would take an approach more similar to Harley Davidson. They know these vehicles are going to get modded and upgraded and changed. HD finally came out with their own "race" programmers and performance parts because then at least you could adjust computer perimeters and have full access to their computer coding. But they also know people are going to change components and don't kill you for it later. They do, however, charge an arm and a leg if you need something done though, so maybe the cost is just built in. I have never had an HD dealer or service tell me to pound sand like the jeep dealer has.
Ford offers factory performance packages that are warrantied if installed by a dealer or ASE certified tech. Maybe one of these days FCA will offer something?

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
How far into the responses did you get? The general consensus in this thread is failure of parts due to aftermarket modifications are justified reasons for warranty claim denial.

If I swap out my D35 and D44 complete axles assemblies for D60’s front and rear, first please congratulate me. And then second, know that I beefed up more of the suspension and driveline components to support the new axles and went ahead and made everything look as if it left the factory this way. And then, out of the blue, my Uconnect screen suddenly goes out within warranty period, I would expect a dealer to take care of the issue under warranty because it’s unrelated to what I did.

But if my transfer case chews up the driveshaft because I’ve modded my Jeep and then implodes, I’ve lost the right to say the transfer case that came from the factory is defective and deserves to be fixed under warranty. I will be a man about it and say I jacked my transfer case because of what I did and I need to pay for a new factory one or get something that's aftermarket and better. And then I’d bed my woman.

You can argue the mods are my own fault and any warranty claims deserve to be voided. Someone else can argue they are not and deserve fulfillment. If you take the argument out from the equation, as one of our forum sponsors mentioned earlier, it boils down to people taking care of people, willing to find solutions and doing the right thing on both sides of the fence.

The issue in this case is a dealer unwilling to acknowledge that there is a problem, find the root cause of problem and then solve for the problem. I’m sure @Stormin’ Moorman is well aware that if it’s determined that the cause of failure is the result of his mods, then he’s going to be out of pocket to fix it. Which, to be honest, it sounds like it is but we don’t know because the people who were supposed to look at it never did.

But if it’s not, which very well may be the case, then he deserves to be taken care of under the manufacture’s warranty.

“My homies agree I really look good in black, fool” -WEIRD AL YANKOVIC
I agree with most of what you said, but you edited out most of my comment to fit your point of view. The issue that he is having is electrical. Yes, it controls the physical components, but it doesn't even come into contact with the parts that he changed out. This is very similar to your example. The only difference is that he had to remove the axle shafts in order to change the gears, but you didn't have to remove the radio in your example. Tell me if you removed the radio to install a switch panel, and reinstalled the radio correctly, only to have it fail a month after you installed the switches, would you feel the same way about the dealership denying warranty coverage?

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
I agree with most of what you said, but you edited out most of my comment to fit your point of view....Tell me if you removed the radio to install a switch panel, and reinstalled the radio correctly, only to have it fail a month after you installed the switches, would you feel the same way about the dealership denying warranty coverage?
Not true at all. I frequently condense quoted responses to condense the space and reduce redundancy. In your post, I kept your first statement and your last statement to imply that I read what you said.

As to your question, I’ve gone thru enough vehicle repairs and warranties on general items to know that the moment a consumer tampers with something, they can kiss the warranty goodbye. So no, I would not expect a dealer to want to warrant the radio because I tampered with it.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Not true at all. I frequently condense quoted responses to condense the space and reduce redundancy. In your post, I kept your first statement and your last statement to imply that I read what you said.

As to your question, I’ve gone thru enough vehicle repairs and warranties on general items to know that the moment a consumer tampers with something, they can kiss the warranty goodbye. So no, I would not expect a dealer to want to warrant the radio because I tampered with it.
Removing and re-installing something is not tampering with it. Do you consider the warranty void on your doors, or top?

Sponsored

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Removing and re-installing something is not tampering with it. Do you consider the warranty void on your doors, or top?
Only when doing so is considered a normal feature and or a function of the vehicle. Re the doors and top, not as long as I don’t modify the doors or top that causes them to be different than how they left the factory. In a nutshell, what’s normal use is covered, what’s not normal use is not covered. It’s that simple.

Last edited:

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Only when doing so is considered a normal feature and or a function of the vehicle. Re the doors and top, not as long as I don’t modify the doors or top that causes them to be different than how they left the factory. In a nutshell, what’s normal use is covered, what’s not normal use is not covered. It’s that simple.
I disagree with your definition of normal use. What's normal to one is not to another. Many, many members here have removed their dash panels to personalize their Jeep. If they were to have issues with their airbag after this, would you then put full culpability on them? I don't understand how removing and then re-installing a part suddenly makes that part no longer warrantied. It's an absurd premise in my opinion. But we can agree to disagree on that point. The dealership is still faulty for lying about the work that they didn't perform, but claimed to.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I find this thread to be pretty scary. My JLR has a stock drivetrain with full aftermarket H.D. steering components, full suspension/body armor, Mopar lift and 37" tires. Sounds like I'm up the creek if drivetrain warranty issues arise. It might behove me to drop to 35" tires. 1 extra inch won't be much of a lose till the warranty's up. Haha

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
spot on notrious.

thats what is comes down to. and stormin acknowledge both side of the situation. what storming is adding in is that the dealer automatically voided the warrenty when they saw the jl all modded up.

its just an easy way for the dealer to avoid working on any jeeps that are outside the "normal" service like requiring to remove all the aftermarket skid plates vs one factory skid plate just to access the t case. just saying.

my past jeep a 07 gc have gone thru a $h!t fit at the dealer because of aftermarket tires and wheels which are factory size to the stock ones.
Sponsored