Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Again, that is the theory. But reality doesn’t always work that way.

I had the only Jeep dealer in town deny warranty work on my $52,000 2018 JKUR based on perfectly common mods, using Mopar parts —i.e., a 2” Mopar lift, 35” tires, and Mopar steel bumpers that my Recon brought from the factory, and the fact that I didn’t buy the Jeep there. And to disuade me completely, the Service Manager was a total dick about it.

So here I am: I have been a loyal customer for many years, own a very expensive Jeep that is only a few months old, with barely 6,000 miles on the odo, spent a boatload of money on factory approved-mods, am being denied unrelated warranty work, and the Service Manager is being a total dick.

Sure, I can hire a lawyer. But why should I? Why should I waste my time and my money to get a shitty FCA dealer to do its freaking job?

The bottom line is FCA is happy to sell us very expensive Jeeps, but once it got our money, it does not give a rat any longer, and allows dealers to do whatever they want.

So I left, sold the Jeep and I swore I’d never buy another Jeep. Boy was I wrong. I am so addicted to Wranglers that I was back within six months. But I have not set foot in that dealership again. I left a scathing online review, and when the time came to shop for a JL I purposely avoided the local dealership. In fact, I flew 1,000 miles to pick up my JL and drove it home.

Now I service my Jeep at the next dealership over, 30 miles away. They seem better. And this time I am not modifying my JL, Mopar parts or not, while it is still under warranty.

Two years later, I still tell people to avoid the local Jeep dealership.

I love Wranglers, but I have zero trust in FCA, and its dealers suck, plain and simple.

Yes, I know, I am stuck in an “abusive relationship...” :CWL:
Amen

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I had the only Jeep dealer in town deny warranty work my $52,000 2018 JKUR based on perfectly common mods, using Mopar parts —i.e., a 2” Mopar lift, 35” tires, and Mopar steel bumpers that my Recon brought from the factory, and the fact that I didn’t buy the Jeep there. And to disuade me completely, the Service Manager was a total dick about it.

So here I am: I have been a loyal customer for many years, own a very expensive Jeep that is only a few months old, with barely 6,000 miles on the odo, spent a boatload of money on factory approved-mods, am being denied unrelated warranty work, and the Service Manager is being a total dick.

Sure, I can hire a lawyer. But why should I? Why should I waste my time and my money to get a shitty FCA dealer to do its freaking job?
If memory serves me correctly, you weren’t actually denied warranty work on the squeaky seat.

The dealer ordered you a new driver’s seat, but you were so frustrated with the experience that you traded the JK on the Tacoma before the dealer actually got to install the new seat.

I don’t discount the hard time they were giving you. I know it’s valid. But there is a difference between being given a hard time with replacement vs outright refusal.

My dealer denied replacing sagging (factory-installed) hardtop headliner saying it was aftermarket.....despite it literally being listed as a $495 option on my window sticker....

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
You finally found a great depiction of your "Master Mechanic". Keep using "Master Mechanics" and then spreading blame on everyone else seems like a strategy you've used quite often. FCA must be blamed for all stupid user upgrades even when internal parts have been changed by a "Master Mechanic"! Again....my Jeep doesn't have these problems.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
If memory serves me correctly, you weren’t actually denied warranty work on the squeaky seat.

The dealer ordered you a new driver’s seat, but you were so frustrated with the experience that you traded the JK on the Tacoma before the dealer actually got to install the new seat.

I don’t discount the hard time they were giving you. I know it’s valid. But there is a difference between being given a hard time with replacement vs outright refusal.

My dealer denied replacing sagging (factory-installed) hardtop headliner saying it was aftermarket.....despite it literally being listed as a $495 option on my window sticker....
The local dealer did refuse to work on my Jeep. I drove to the next dealership over, 30 miles away, and they ordered a replacement seat. But by the time the seat arrived, I had sold the Jeep and bought a Tacoma TRD Off-Road.

I now service both my Jeep and my Fiat at that other dealership.

Months later, the General Manager at the local dealership reached out regarding my negative online review. He expressed surprise; said I was being unfair given that I had been going there for a couple years and had always seemed pleased. I detailed to him my experience, step by step, and asked him to judge if I was being "unfair." He never replied.

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Again, that is the theory. But reality doesn’t always work that way.

I had the only Jeep dealer in town deny warranty work on my $52,000 2018 JKUR based on perfectly common mods, using Mopar parts —i.e., a 2” Mopar lift, 35” tires, and Mopar steel bumpers that my Recon brought from the factory, and the fact that I didn’t buy the Jeep there. And to disuade me completely, the Service Manager was a total dick about it.

The bottom line is FCA is happy to sell us very expensive Jeeps, but once it got our money, it does not give a rat any longer, and allows dealers to do whatever they want.

So I left, sold the Jeep and I swore I’d never buy another Jeep. Boy was I wrong. I am so addicted to Wranglers that I was back within six months. But I have not set foot in that dealership again. I left a scathing online review, and when the time came to shop for a JL I purposely avoided the local dealership. In fact, I flew 1,000 miles to pick up my JL and drove it home.

Now I service my Jeep at the next dealership over, 30 miles away. They seem better. And this time I am not modifying my JL, Mopar parts or not, while it is still under warranty.

Two years later, I still tell people to avoid the local Jeep dealership.

I love Wranglers, but I have zero trust in FCA, and its dealers suck, plain and simple.

Yes, I know, I am stuck in an “abusive relationship...” :CWL:
Buying jeep at the dealership you plan to get your service done solves this issue.

I said to my sales lady "I plan to do...." during the purchase negotiation and she said "lets go see the service manager to get his view...." and it was not a issue. He was very clear:

- Lift and bumpers/skids no issues
- Anything before turbo, or after catalyst ok for intake/exhaust. Between turbo and cat it would be a denial of warranty possibility.
- They may ask me to remove aftermarket components to prove the problem exists with factory parts if required. Ideally if I bring it in for a problem make sure that area is back to stock if possible. Eg: don't come in for steering issues with all aftermarket parts.

This has worked out for the most part. I did have the issue but after a good talk with the SM he said "new tech was assigned and he's not with us" which I have to take at face value.

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
Buying jeep at the dealership you plan to get your service done solves this issue.

I said to my sales lady "I plan to do...." during the purchase negotiation and she said "lets go see the service manager to get his view...." and it was not a issue. He was very clear:

- Anything before turbo, or after catalyst ok for intake/exhaust. Between turbo and cat it would be a denial of warranty possibility.
- They may ask me to remove aftermarket components to prove the problem exists with factory parts if required. Ideally if I bring it in for a problem make sure that area is back to stock if possible. Eg: don't come in for steering issues with all aftermarket parts.

This has worked out for the most part. I did have the issue but after a good talk with the SM he said "new tech was assigned and he's not with us" which I have to take at face value.
John: Every dealer I've done business with has adopted the philosophy you just outlined. I think it's fair and understandable from both points of view. There are too many "cob jobs" that violate this common sense approach and the result is blaming the dealer and/or FCA. If justified, I'm with you, if not...suck it up and take accountability.
C

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I herd from 2 different dealers. FCA does not like Tazers and will void warranty if it's installed.
Agreed. I get why mopar doesn't like them. Its why I was super hesitant to get one at all. I'm curious of all the people with computer related problems, if they relate to these hack style programmers. I'd also love to know from a mopar tech what they can see on their end. If its physically not installed, i'm assuming they can still see it has been married.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
John: Every dealer I've done business with has adopted the philosophy you just outlined. I think it's fair and understandable from both points of view. There are too many "cob jobs" that violate this common sense approach and the result is blaming the dealer and/or FCA. If justified, I'm with you, if not...suck it up and take accountability.
C
Where did I do a "cob job"? Buying a factory approved Mopar lift? Buying a Recon with steel bumpers that the Service Manager was too stupid to know came from the factory? Should it be my job to educate the Service Manager what a Mopar lift is? I should not have to argue with the Service Manager about what equipment comes standard from the factory.

Buying and servicing a vehicle at the same dealership is not always possible, and should not be a requirement to honor the warranty. In my case, I relocated from California to Washington State, so I didn't have the luxury of servicing my Jeep where I bought it. What should I do? Sell my Jeep in California and buy one locally...?

The reality is that FCA dealers rank at the bottom of the customer satisfaction charts. Not one year, but year after year after year. So we are not making things up when we say that Jeep dealers SUCK. If you happen to have a good dealer, consider yourself very lucky. Just don't blame the rest of us who have to deal with widespread nonsense.

Last edited:

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Recurring theme. Bottom line: if you modify your Jeep (especially heavy mods like 37s), you are rolling the dice. As far as Jeep bashing, what other manufacturer has to deal with these types of warranty issues? Name one.

And...throw in the fact that some of these Jeeps look like they have been slap-dashed together by DIYers on a budget. [not referring to the OP - just an observation]

Sponsored

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wish FCA and Mopar would take an approach more similar to Harley Davidson. They know these vehicles are going to get modded and upgraded and changed. HD finally came out with their own "race" programmers and performance parts because then at least you could adjust computer perimeters and have full access to their computer coding. But they also know people are going to change components and don't kill you for it later. They do, however, charge an arm and a leg if you need something done though, so maybe the cost is just built in. I have never had an HD dealer or service tell me to pound sand like the jeep dealer has.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed. I get why mopar doesn't like them. Its why I was super hesitant to get one at all. I'm curious of all the people with computer related problems, if they relate to these hack style programmers. I'd also love to know from a mopar tech what they can see on their end. If its physically not installed, i'm assuming they can still see it has been married.
Perhaps this explains why AEV walked away from developing aftermarket accessories for JL, and is moving away from the very close --and profitable-- partnership it has had with Jeep for many years. They are now giving their expertise to the competition.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I wish FCA and Mopar would take an approach more similar to Harley Davidson. They know these vehicles are going to get modded and upgraded and changed. HD finally came out with their own "race" programmers and performance parts because then at least you could adjust computer perimeters and have full access to their computer coding. But they also know people are going to change components and don't kill you for it later. They do, however, charge an arm and a leg if you need something done though, so maybe the cost is just built in. I have never had an HD dealer or service tell me to pound sand like the jeep dealer has.
They already do. It is called MOPAR, and they charge pretty coin for it. But FCA is too stupid to back up mods even when done with its own approved parts.

In fairness, Jeep used to be very relaxed about mods when honoring warranty. But things have changed under FCA: it has become a stickler abour mods, while dealer treatment has gone down the drain.

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They already do. It is called MOPAR, and they charge pretty coin for it. But FCA is too stupid to back up mods even when done with its own approved parts.

In fairness, Jeep used to be very relaxed about mods when honoring warranty. But things have changed under FCA: it has become a stickler abour mods, while dealer treatment has gone down the drain.
Agreed. But its so hit and miss. Like offering a lift and tire carrier to run 37's but not the upgraded chromoly dana axle shafts. Or allowing bigger tires but not "approved" gears or a way to reprogram the computer for many of these add on. Just such a half @ss attempt and like they aren't prepared for how to handle it. HD offers everything down to cams and lifters and a programmer to tune the engine. Also agree there are some changes under FCA but maybe its just more uniform across states. In Iowa, the dealer would never cover anything, ever. Its why I paid for the dealer to install the Mopar lift that I am capable of doing myself. A friend has another brand of 2" lift and the dealer would not look at the noise coming from his rear diff. But in Iowa, there isn't much wheeling so modified jeeps are shunned by the dealer because that isn't their primary market.
Sponsored